The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: Spy It... Buy It?

Sometimes we're just not as brave as we could be. When it comes to buying a food or drink we're unsure about, sometimes it's easier just to stick to the norm, the safe, the explored.

Well, not for me, 'cos I'll eat anything, really. Well, most things. Even I have my limits.

But sometimes you just see something in the supermarket and you're like "Wow! How weird is this! I wish someone was around that I knew just so I could point at it, say "what's THAT all about?!" and get their echoed confusion as a response.

In this thread, just post anything you've spied in the supermarket food and drink wise that caught your eye but you've yet to purchase! Perhaps it's something you're on the fence about and need opinions. Maybe it's something you KNOW you're going to buy soon and want to share your find with others!

POPULAR FOODIE SPY-AND-BUY THREADS:

FOODSTUFF FINDS: www.foodstufffinds.co.uk
GROCERY GEMS: http://grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/
FOOD AND DRINK INNOVATION NETWORK: http://www.fdin.org.uk/
THE SNACK REVIEW: http://thesnackreview.co.uk/
KEV'S SNACK REVIEWS: http://kevssnackreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
TOTO EATS THE WORLD: http://totoeatstheworld.blogspot.co.uk/

Post your own ...

Food and Drink: Spy It... Buy It?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kingsmill white rolls
Reply 2
Pork, i'm muslim, however the temptation is still at large.
Reply 3
A couple of examples found today :

SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY:

"LOOKS GORGEOUS BUT DID NOT BUY BECAUSE I KNEW I'D EAT IT ALL IN ONE SITTING AND IT APPARENTLY HOLDS SIX SERVINGS" Award:

"SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SORT OF DISGUSTING THING YOU EAT ON A DARE WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK OUT OF YOUR MIND" Award:

Baked Beans in a bloody Mary?

Who on earth would buy that?
Reply 5
I know, Leicester, right? Same goes for the new Philadelphia just out. I saw it in Tesco too.

Just seemed a bit *too* crazy for me. Spied, did not buy indeed!

Reply 6
Poor mans version of nutella.

I'd still buy it though.
Original post by TotoMimo
I know, Leicester, right? Same goes for the new Philadelphia just out. I saw it in Tesco too.

Reply 7

I can't decide if these would be good or not?!
Reply 8

Surely it's just like a tub of chocolate cheesecake filling? Sounds epic to me!
Reply 9

:drool:

Tom.
Think hobnob.
Think this.
Think CHEESECAKE YOU FOOL!
Original post by dani_1991

I can't decide if these would be good or not?!

Is that cereal?
Reply 12
Indeed! ASDA own granola...

SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY:

"LOOKS GORGEOUS BUT DID NOT BUY BECAUSE I KNEW I'D EAT IT ALL IN ONE SITTING AND IT APPARENTLY HOLDS SIX SERVINGS" Award:

"SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SORT OF DISGUSTING THING YOU EAT ON A DARE WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK OUT OF YOUR MIND" Award:

The baked beans are good! bloody mary is mainly tomato juice anyway, so it makes sense really.

And for me, I love BBQ sauce..seen Jack Daniels/whisky based ones, don't actually like whisky..but somehow they look good. I dunno?
Reply 14

SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY:

Relax in the knowledge its not as good as it looks....

It is nice and all, bordering on 'wow' but its not got an actual chocolate taste, more that fake artificial washed out chocolate taste.

So its basically popcorn with a hint of chocolate flavour.
Reply 15

SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY:

Relax in the knowledge its not as good as it looks!

It is nice and all, almost bordering on 'wow' material (and tbh, maybe hal of that is psychological because it looks so good anyway) but its not got an actual chocolate taste, more that fake artificial washed out chocolate taste.

Reply 16
Relax in the knowledge its not as good as it looks!

It is nice and all, almost bordering on 'wow' material (and tbh, maybe hal of that is psychological because it looks so good anyway) but its not got an actual chocolate taste, more that fake artificial washed out chocolate taste.

Aw maaaaan, that's a shame. I guess it's the psychology of it. You think, "Man, that package is SO BROWN. The BROWNEST PACKET I HAVE EVER SEEN. By proxy, this means that the popcorn will be the brownest, chocolatiest popcorn in existence."
Reply 17
SPIED DID NOT BUY TODAY:

That Stella Artois Cidre.

Anyone tried it? Is it any good? I like my cider like... REAL cider. Not like Bulmers-easy-going-Smirnoff-Ice-Generation cider.
SPIED DID NOT BUY TODAY:

Anyone tried it? Is it any good? I like my cider like... REAL cider. Not like Bulmers-easy-going-Smirnoff-Ice-Generation cider.

I don't like it! Thought, I'm no an expert. I prefer non-fizzy, and more apple tasting cider. Dirty cider I guess, like scrumpy. And the Stella didn't do it for me.
SPIED DID NOT BUY TODAY:

It's terrible. Similar to Strongbow I reckons.

Do love my cider, although I've become more of an Ale man over the past couple of months.

Quick Reply

Latest