Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Provocative clothing & age

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LipstickKisses)
    Getting sick of pointing this out to TSR now, but most rapes are carried out by someone the woman knows. The overwhelming majority of victims already know the person, which means that what she's wearing on a night out has very little to do with it. Rape is also usually about power and dominance rather than the actual sex - it's more to do with the rapist feeling like he has complete control over someone and the situation, which again, suggests what a woman wears bears hardly any relevance on the likelihood of her being raped.

This

Also who is more likely to get raped?

A. Sluttily dressed girl in out with mates, in the middle of the highstreet
    B. The girl in a long coat, hat and scarf, trousers etc walking down that dark alley in a dodgy area

Its B - and it has nothing to do with her clothing, but where she is, rapists cant rape you, no matter what youre wearing if you are in a safe and very public place.

Also look at the history of rape victims. They have been all sorts of people in all sorts of societies, in all sorts of clothes. This shows that clothing has nothing to do with it. Ill bet most rapes that arent to do with someone the person knows are because of the situation, not the outfit

Sorry op for going off topic.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this thread slutty women try to justify their behaviour because they feel they are being attacked.

Stop kidding yourselves.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why should someone dress differently just because of their age? Because it doesn't look as pleasant for you? They aren't dressing like that for your enjoyment in the first place.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not personally one to show everything off, but I will never say what other people should and should not wear. It is their choice.
    And I am completely against anyone changing their personality, hobbies, clothes or behaviour because of their age.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    In this thread slutty women try to justify their behaviour because they feel they are being attacked.

Stop kidding yourselves.
    Lol, it's funny because I don't dress provocatively. But that's my choice, and I think others have that right to as well. There are stats to back up what I've said about clothing having little impact, but feel free to ignore those in order to continue your misogynistic views. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, it's funny because I don't dress provocatively. But that's my choice, and I think others have that right to as well. There are stats to back up what I've said about clothing having little impact, but feel free to ignore those in order to continue your misogynistic views. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
    I didn't say they didn't, just be prepared for the consequences.

And seriously don't call me a misogynist, I have received 10 negs (from emotional women no doubt) for this post even though the crux of the post is about protecting women, yet I am a misogynist?

Straws are being clutched tightly by women in this thread. Lol @ statistics. And lol again @ hiding behind the power of the word 'rape' to justify your 'right' to be whores.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say they didn't, just be prepared for the consequences.

And seriously don't call me a misogynist, I have received 10 negs (from emotional women no doubt) for this post even though the crux of the post is about protecting women, yet I am a misogynist?

Straws are being clutched tightly by women in this thread. Lol @ statistics. And lol again @ hiding behind the power of the word 'rape' to justify your 'right' to be whores.
    But what she is wearing doesn't have an impact on her likelihood to be raped. Research confirms this. So, if clothing doesn't have an impact, why is it relevant? Are you also implying men are violent criminals who go off in a sexual frenzy when a hint of cleavage is spotted? That's pretty offensive to men as well as women.

That post is quite misogynistic in my opinion - you're saying it's somewhat the victim's fault when it isn't, because her clothes are not to do with it. When a man is walking around with his boxers out due to those horrid baggy crotched jeans, does that mean he's asking for me to touch his arse? No. "Lol @ statistics"? Okay, like I said, keep your ill-informed views, just don't expect anyone to give them an ounce of credibility. And who said anything about being whores? The fact you give women who dress provocatively the degrading titles of 'sluts and whores' without any further information is also pretty misogynistic.

And I haven't negged you.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Yeah, that was just ridiculous - he had a good point.
    Am I the only one who saw the sarcasm in this?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    But what she is wearing doesn't have an impact on her likelihood to be raped. Research confirms this. So, if clothing doesn't have an impact, why is it relevant? Are you also implying men are violent criminals who go off in a sexual frenzy when a hint of cleavage is spotted? That's pretty offensive to men as well as women.

That post is quite misogynistic in my opinion - you're saying it's somewhat the victim's fault when it isn't, because her clothes are not to do with it. When a man is walking around with his boxers out due to those horrid baggy crotched jeans, does that mean he's asking for me to touch his arse? No. "Lol @ statistics"? Okay, like I said, keep your ill-informed views, just don't expect anyone to give them an ounce of credibility. And who said anything about being whores? The fact you give women who dress provocatively the degrading titles of 'sluts and whores' without any further information is also pretty misogynistic.

And I haven't negged you.
    Oh really? Despite the fact they do it themselves? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13739876

I have explained already I did not say it is the victims fault numerous times, I am not going to say it again. Is lying the only way you can argue your point?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyselfEtAl)
    This is why Muslim women wear the Hijab. It protects you, and liberates you (I.e. you're not objectified).

Inb4 "but some of them are forced to wear it" and "the burka is bad because of crime" - i'm not talking about the burka, I'm talking about dressing modestly.
    >Wear hijab to dress modestly
    >Pile on the make-up
    >Carry designer handbag
    >Low rider jeans

Seems legit.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Despite the fact they do it themselves? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13739876

I have explained already I did not say it is the victims fault numerous times, I am not going to say it again. Is lying the only way you can argue your point?
    Trying to 'reclaim' it is like black people trying to use the N word. It's still offensive if used in a degrading way. And my point was you are automatically assuming any woman in revealing clothes is promiscuous. Which is stupid and false. You seem to be going along the lines of any scantily clad woman likes to frequently engage in casual sex (and this should be frowned upon, due to the word 'whore' :rolleyes:). This is just a massive generalisation that you're using to back up your point which has no logical basis.

I said you said it was somewhat the victim's fault, which is what you've said. Read the post properly.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trying to 'reclaim' it is like black people trying to use the N word. It's still offensive if used in a degrading way. And my point was you are automatically assuming any woman in revealing clothes is promiscuous. Which is stupid and false. You seem to be going along the lines of any scantily clad woman likes to frequently engage in casual sex (and this should be frowned upon, due to the word 'whore' :rolleyes:). This is just a massive generalisation that you're using to back up your point which has no logical basis.

I said you said it was somewhat the victim's fault, which is what you've said. Read the post properly.
    Wow. Just wow. Racism is a legitimate cause, sluttiness is not.

Paste the bit where I said it's the vitim's fault please.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Am I the only one who saw the sarcasm in this?
    My apologies, there was no sarcasm.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    My apologies, there was no sarcasm.
    To be fair I agree with you.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow. Racism is a legitimate cause, sluttiness is not.

Paste the bit where I said it's the vitim's fault please.
    Oh funny, when it's prejudice directed at a different group, it's unacceptable! But degrading women? That's perfectly fine. :rolleyes: Stop using the word 'slutty' as well, the fact you think a woman in skimpy clothing is a slut just proves how ingrained your prejudiced views are. Also address my whole posts, not just the point that suits.

And "If you go out provocatively dressed, drinking, and end up getting raped, then, like leaving your door open, you must accept some responsibility for what happened. "
    This is implying that it is partly their fault.

why does the fact research has proven clothing has little to do with it seem to be of no importance to you? You just seem determined to have a reason to frown on women dressing in a certain way. Further backed up by "ITT slutty women trying to justify it" or something. You assumed that because I think it's okay for a woman to dress provocatively, I am a 'slut' who dresses this way. You also make the assumption women have to justify how they dress to you. Your whole posts are just sweeping generalisations with no factual basis.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's incredibly offensive to both men and women to imply it's the victim's fault for how she dresses. It paints women out as creatures who should 'live in fear' and not be allowed to express themselves, and makes men out to be violent beasts who cannot resist when they catch a hint of cleavage. All it does is perpetuate insulting false stereotypes and breeds a divide between men and women, I don't see why people still do it.
    THIS. Just... this.

'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.' Would rep you (again) if I could!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Stop kidding yourselves.
    Nobody deserves to get attacked for what they wear, but it may contribute. Feminists can say men have to control themselves, and whilst this is true, we are where we are so it's not very helpful merely stating that.

If you dress like a slut you're gonna get treated like one. Don't dress like that then expect to have all gentlemanly behaviour around you. You're sending one signal then expected another? Regardless of gender, impressions count and being half naked certainly doesn't leave a favourable impression.

also there are lot of guys who go for that type of girl in the street, but wouldn't take that girl seriously in a relationship. Kinda like they don't want their partner/mum/sister dressing that way, but don't mind other women doing it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    THIS. Just... this.

'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.' Would rep you (again) if I could!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    >Wear hijab to dress modestly
    >Pile on the make-up
    >Carry designer handbag
    >Low rider jeans

Seems legit.
    Yes. Yes of course. Because all muslim women do that. Beautifully generalised, bravo.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Nobody deserves to get attacked for what they wear, but it may contribute. Feminists can say men have to, control themselves, and whilst this is true, we are where we are so it's not very helpful merely stating that.

If you dress like a slut you're gonna get treated like one. Don't dress like that then expect to have all gentlemanly behaviour around you. You're sending one signal then expected another? Regardless of gender, impressions count and being half naked certainly doesn't leave a favourable impression.

also there are lot of guys who go for that type of girl in the street, but wouldn't want take that girl seriously in a relationship.
    I didn't say they deserve to but I'm glad you added 'it may contribute'.

Expect to be negged by angry women though.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I agree with you.
    I have read your posts in this thread and I have to admit that I find your tone incredibly sexist.

Sluttiness? Sheesh. Wearing little doesnt mean you even want to have sex with anyone let alone actually having sex with a lot of people. I know quite a few people who dont necessarily wear tight and revealing, but like to have a lot of casual sex - which, by the way isnt a reason to condemn them as it doesnt make them a better or worse person for it.

I'm hanging on to a shred of hope that you disapprove as strongly towards men as you do for women who choose to have a lot of casual sex.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.