The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Akala is a prophet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Steevee
Well to be honest, I can get over the left-leaning stuff, I do with plenty of my music, bucause let's face it, there aren't many conservative musicians :cool:

It's more the 'blame whitey' attitude that comes across in a lot of his songs, along with the conspiracy rubbish about the Templars and NWO which he doesn;t seem to be able to get through a song without mentioning, besides that one where he raps about some guy raping his own mother...

Quite legitimately, in my view, black (and other non-white) people in the US are often sensitive to the historical (not to mention contemporary) processes which have brought them to their current disadvantaged conditions through generations of exploitation and prejudice. To this extent 'blaming whitey' as you put it has some powerful legitimacy, even if it might come across a little crassly sometimes. I can't remember which track it is but in one of his monologues Immortal Technique makes it clear that in the end it's a class struggle and that he has more in common with poor and disadvantaged white folks than he does with wealthy black or latino businessmen who also exploit the poor. I agree with you about the conspiracy theory stuff, it doesn't help. But we've got to bear in mind that the US government routinely does hide its actions from its people and routinely does tell big lies about what it's doing or why it's doing it, whether domestically or abroad. Combine this with the way US corporate media fake and spin stories in ways that would make even the British tabloids blush and you've got a media environment which feeds suspicion and, ultimately, the kinds of conspiracies which seem more plausible than they otherwise would. We've also got to bear in mind that the guy is a rapper (and a fantastic one at that), but he's not Chomsky, and we shouldn't be judging him by that kind of standard when it comes to everything that flies out of his mouth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Oswy
Quite legitimately, in my view, black (and other non-white) people in the US are often sensitive to the historical (not to mention contemporary) processes which have brought them to their current disadvantaged conditions through generations of exploitation and prejudice. To this extent 'blaming whitey' as you put it has some powerful legitimacy, even if it might come across a little crassly sometimes. I can't remember which track it is but in one of his monologues Immortal Technique makes it clear that in the end it's a class struggle and that he has more in common with poor and disadvantaged white folks than he does with wealthy black or latino businessmen who also exploit the poor. I agree with you about the conspiracy theory stuff, it doesn't help. But we've got to bear in mind that the US government routinely does hide its actions from its people and routinely does tell big lies about what it's doing or why it's doing it, whether domestically or abroad. Combine this with the way US corporate media fake and spin stories in ways that would make even the British tabloids blush and you've got a media environment which feeds suspicion and, ultimately, the kinds of conspiracies which seem more plausible than they otherwise would. We've also got to bear in mind that the guy is a rapper (and a fantastic one at that), but he's not Chomsky, and we shouldn't be judging him by that kind of standard when it comes to everything that flies out of his mouth.

Well I agree to an extent, talking about Templars deliberatley coming over to rape Spanish settlers to create Latinos as some kind of subserviant race is just, well :lolwut:

I just find it so, galling. Why blame a race? It annoys me. It was not the white people of today that did it, he was never a slave. It's like a white american rapping about Mexicans or Black people in a negative context, it just wouldn't go down well at all, but the other way round, it's fine.

And as for the actions of the US government, I whole heartedly believe they essentially do the same as all governments, perhaps to a slightly greater extent, but this is necessitated by their position on the world stage. It's no excuse to bang on about the Knights Templar, Freemasons, NWO and so on.
Reply 42
the only thing that seperates this cRapper from all the others is the fact that he has duped gullible humans into thinking "he beez a good boy n sheeiit"
Reply 43
Akala is hard, the only inspirational rapper in U.K grime to become a smarter person in the grime scene, if people listened and acted to read they would respect him more, he is not gonna blow big time cos the government don't want enlightened prophets to bring civilians to the light about situations
Original post by Sam well
Akala is hard, the only inspirational rapper in U.K grime to become a smarter person in the grime scene, if people listened and acted to read they would respect him more, he is not gonna blow big time cos the government don't want enlightened prophets to bring civilians to the light about situations

strong bump

Akala won't blow, just letting you know. The majority don't like lyrically artist, they prefer the gibberish.
I think hopsin has done better trying to make this style of music more widespread. He is more smart with his muisic.
Thread closed - please don't bump old threads :smile: