The Student Room Group

How can this richer guy get more maintenance grant money than me?

jrtsrtnwtrnrt
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Get a job?
Reply 2
Maybe he is mixing maintenance grant with University scholarship?
Reply 3
Original post by Pi R Squared

Right, I don't know what you consider rich (but I do), but he lives in a £5 million house, he has 6 cars in the front garden, including a Bentley, and SOMEHOW, he gets more maintenance grant money than me! (He lives home as well.)

I was talking to him today, and he told me how he wasted the 900 (something) quid he got from his maintenance grant (in January), within a month. So I'm sitting here like WTF? I only get £338 per semester, and my parents are struggling to make ends meet! I even asked him further about it, and he confirmed he received around £900 maintenance grant each semester! (And no he's not making it up because I'm good friends with him, and we go to the same Uni.)

My dad and mom were working full-time in 2010 (which student finance asked for both their P60's, and they added up to £36,000). But now both of them are working on average 2-3 times a week, and we are really struggling to pay off rent etc.

Student finance seriously needs to fix this, you can't base how much maintenance money a student receives on their parents P60's in the year before. Times change and people do lose their jobs.

Isn't there anything I can do regarding my maintenance grant?

Thank you!

Don't know about the other guy but looking at your problem it seems something is seriously wrong....

1. Yes there is definitely something you can do if your parents circumstances have changed. Request a financial change of circumstance form from Student Finance and get it filled in pronto in order to have your maintenance grant re-assessed.

2. Are you saying you only receive approx: £1050 per annum maintenance loan? That seems very low. I would have expected it to be in the region of c£3500 pa.

3. Get advice immediately from the university you attend and get someone involved in your case

4. Apply to hardship funds at the university if you find you are stuck financially
Either;

1. Neither of his parents work or recieve income from investments, they just happen to have a lot of money. Unlikely but unfair.
2. He is cheating the system.
3. (MOST LIKELY). He isn't talking about the same maintenance grant you are (he is probably talking about the £3200 a year maintenance loan that everyone gets, and since his parents probably pay his accommodation he is free to spend it).

As for your situation, it is unfair, and you may get somewhere with an appeal given that your parents have just lost their jobs. I won't say get a job because it's not always easy (though it would solve all your problems). However, if your loan pays for accommodation £388 a term (which I assume is extra) is more than I live on. (I do go home for the holidays though - I don't know if you do).

You could try earning a little money through online surveys etc? I hope it works out anyway. :smile:
Reply 5
Are you sure he's not talking about a maintenance loan, which every student is entitled to a minimum?
Reply 6
feel grateful that you're getting any at all! i'm not entitled to any maintenance grant whatsoever, even though my parents rent in london and i have 3 siblings!!
which isn't fun... i have to find an extra £2000 just so i can pay my hall fees.
Reply 7
Right, I don't know what you consider rich (but I do), but he lives in a £5 million house, he has 6 cars in the front garden, including a Bentley, and SOMEHOW, he gets more maintenance grant money than me! (He lives home as well.)

I was talking to him today, and he told me how he wasted the 900 (something) quid he got from his maintenance grant (in January), within a month. So I'm sitting here like WTF? I only get £338 per semester, and my parents are struggling to make ends meet! I even asked him further about it, and he confirmed he received around £900 maintenance grant each semester! (And no he's not making it up because I'm good friends with him, and we go to the same Uni.)

My dad and mom were working full-time in 2010 (which student finance asked for both their P60's, and they added up to £36,000). But now both of them are working on average 2-3 times a week, and we are really struggling to pay off rent etc.

Student finance seriously needs to fix this, you can't base how much maintenance money a student receives on their parents P60's in the year before. Times change and people do lose their jobs.

Isn't there anything I can do regarding my maintenance grant?

Thank you!

Jealousy is a bad emotion. There will always be people better off and there is a lot of unfairness in the world. If you are short of money, look out for ways of earning more . Maybe you coiuld start a part time car washing business or even deliving goods by bicycle messenger service, even putting an advert in a shop window or something.
Reply 8
Original post by Doubledog
. Maybe you coiuld start a part time car washing business or even deliving goods by bicycle messenger service, even putting an advert in a shop window or something.

The sentiment is sweet, but the suggestions are hilarious!
Reply 9
What's having cars and a house got to do with SFE? It's about household income.
Reply 10
It's probably the maintenance loan and anyway having cars and having houses has nothing to do with student finance - it's all about how much they make. Stop being jealous and live on with your life.
Reply 11
Original post by Doubledog
Jealousy is a bad emotion. There will always be people better off and there is a lot of unfairness in the world. If you are short of money, look out for ways of earning more . Maybe you coiuld start a part time car washing business or even deliving goods by bicycle messenger service, even putting an advert in a shop window or something.

I'm not jealous he's rich. I'm pissed by the fact that he gets more maintenance money than me, even though his parents earn in the 6 digit numbers yearly.
Reply 12
I'm not jealous he's rich. I'm pissed by the fact that he gets more maintenance money than me, even though his parents earn in the 6 digit numbers yearly.

Have you actually seen his offical letters telling him how much he gets?
He could be just joiking you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending