The Student Room Group

Anyone else find the grants unfair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Claudine
That is the max grant. So some people must do.

The max grant for the year, yes.

How many months are there in a year?????
I'm going to be completely unbiased here. I'm actually entitled to a grant yet I still think the system is a bit unfair if it assumes those with parents in good jobs will give them financial help. Yes, there are people from unemployed/low income families who deserve the help, just as much as there are people with rich parents who won't get any help at all. Not everyone's parents assist them financially, they leave them to get on with it. So yes, I think it is unfair in that sense.
Reply 42
Original post by Besakt

Do you know how much it would cost the state to give every student the maximum maintenace grant?

Not even the state knows. They can barely produce financial records for the amount of money they actually currently spend, let alone speculatively guess at a possible future spending cost.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I think what annoys most people is that a lot of parents are only willing to provide absolutely minimal help, say £100 over the whole year, IF that.
Now, how is it fair that these students get approx £3k less than someone else who's pareents simply can't afford to give them more then £100? The situations are more or less the same and you're just giving someone money for being poor, essentially.

The other argument goes that you could have a two-parent, single student family who don't earn much but live modestly or have inherited a house, and have more disposable income to give the student. Take another family who earn more but have a mortgage to pay off, plus, say, three or four kids. The student doesn't get a grant because their parents earn over the limit, but they can't afford to give the student any money.
Who deserves/needs it more in that case?

Ideally it should be done on a case-by-case basis, but that obviously takes too much time and money. But otherwise you end up with the 'squeezed middle' where poor people are fine because of grants, and the rich are fine because of, well, being rich and daddy paying everything for his darling children, but the ones in the middle are the hardest hit because they won't have enough money to give their kids much (in most cases) and they're getting a minimal, if anything, grant.

Exactly this. Very well said.
Reply 44
Exactly why the whole idea is bad. They should give out more loads so everyone has the chance to be more independent.

But why should the state give you money when your parents are capable of giving you the money?

If a loan was introduced the majority of students from lower income families would be taking out the loan, whilst a lot of students from high income families would just take the money from their parents and avoid the debt and interest.
Reply 45
Original post by Barden
The max grant for the year, yes.

Maybe I have missread the website then, but my point remains.

Original post by Jabberwox
I'm going to be completely unbiased here. I'm actually entitled to a grant yet I still think the system is a bit unfair if it assumes those with parents in good jobs will give them financial help. Yes, there are people from unemployed/low income families who deserve the help, just as much as there are people with rich parents who won't get any help at all. Not everyone's parents assist them financially, they leave them to get on with it. So yes, I think it is unfair in that sense.

^^ my point exactly. Apparently many people disagree.
Original post by Besakt
But why should the state give you money when your parents are capable of giving you the money?

If a loan was introduced the majority of students from lower income families would be taking out the loan, whilst a lot of students from high income families would just take the money from their parents and avoid the debt and interest.

Most parents are only willing to give their kids £100 at the most to go towards uni. I know people from well-off families who aren't being given any help at all, and if they are, they are given say a couple of hundred at the very most. That is minimal compared to the grants. And I actually am entitled to a grant, so I am not at all biased. I still think it's a bit unfair.
Reply 47
i don't know why people don't seem to realise that a £50,000 household income isn't rich if you've got two parents.
that's an average of £25,000 per parent which isn't rich at all for someone living in central london and with 4 kids. and yes, of course it's a choice that my parents live in london. but a choice they made 20 years ago before i was even born. and they didn't choose to have me or my brother, we were an accident.

my issue isn't really that people get grants. some people need them. but there are TOO MANY GRANTS! some people will get £7,000 loan + grant, plus £2,000 from their uni. and possibly an access to learning fund too. now that's at least £9,000. on the other hand, i get no grant, a £3,500 loan, and that's it. i need £2,000 extra to make up my £5650 hall fees, and then my parents and my job will get me the rest of the money i need. but if i get £3,500 and someone else gets £9,000... my parents aren't going to give me £5,500 extra! i can perfectly well live on about £7,000. so why should anyone get £9,000?
For the most part, grants are a force for good, they exist to help intelligent working class people utilize their intellect via university, it a necessity for social mobility. There will of course be cases where the wrong people get it, or the right people fail to get it, but these flaws make up the minority of cases.

Course I get a full grant and bursery, so I'm biased. But without it I could be stuck in council estates forever.
Reply 49
Original post by Besakt

They're not giving us money, they are LOANING it. Meaning that they will get it back!!
Most parents are only willing to give their kids £100 at the most to go towards uni. I know people from well-off families who aren't being given any help at all, and if they are, they are given say a couple of hundred at the very most. That is minimal compared to the grants. And I actually am entitled to a grant, so I am not at all biased. I still think it's a bit unfair.

A lot of people won't mention that their parents are paying all their rent though...
Reply 51

I also know people from well off families (I go to a private school), and we were discussing financing university and most if not all students said their parents are willing to give them however much they need (including rent).

I don't believe I ever said that my parents are able to help me out, and even if they could, it's my life why should they have to give me money when the government gives it away to other people?

Also 3k a month is a ****ing load of money! I'd NEVER expect or even want my parents to give me that much a month, so why are poorer students given that?

The whole system is silly... grrr!

Where on earth are you getting 3K a month from? It's a tiny minority of people who get maxed out grants/loans and I'm pretty sure they don't get anything even near amounting to that. The maximum grant you can get is £3,250, and the maximum loan is £5,500 (assuming you're not in London). Even together that is nowhere even near 3K a month. I believe they also deduct a certain amount from your loan if you get full grant. So yeah, your parents aren't expected to give you that much at all.

I'm sorry, I thought I had read in a post of yours somewhere that your parents could give you money but you didn't want to ask, might have been someone else or whatever.

The point is you can't just throw a hissy fit about it. They get given more money because they're coming from families who TRULY struggle financially - show some consideration for people who are about to try and get through uni when their parents earn £12,000pa collectively before you start going on about how it's so unfair that they get a bit more help than you do. The government doesn't have a bottomless pit of money and they have to prioritise for the people who NEED it the most. I'd bet anything that if you were starving or couldn't pay for a roof over your head your parents would happily help you out.
Reply 53
It doesn't bother me that I am not receiving money from the government, it's just my parents contribute lots through taxation (thus reducing their disposable income) and they have other household costs to bear in mind.

I agree that it discriminates against the middle class.
Original post by Besakt
I also know people from well off families (I go to a private school), and we were discussing financing university and most if not all students said their parents are willing to give them however much they need (including rent).

I guess the overall situation is that kids from rich families WILL get good help from their parents and kids from low income families WON'T, but there are still people (albeit a minority) who won't get the help, and will therefore struggle, even though they come from reasonably well-off parents. That's why I think the system is a little bit flawed. But hey that's life...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Where on earth are you getting 3K a month from? It's a tiny minority of people who get maxed out grants/loans and I'm pretty sure they don't get anything even near amounting to that. The maximum grant you can get is £3,250, and the maximum loan is £5,500 (assuming you're not in London). Even together that is nowhere even near 3K a month. I believe they also deduct a certain amount from your loan if you get full grant. So yeah, your parents aren't expected to give you that much at all.

They do.

I get full loan/grant, totalling just over £6000/year
Reply 56
They're not giving us money, they are LOANING it. Meaning that they will get it back!!

So students from well off backgrounds should be able to have the option of taking out a loan, borrowing money from parents at no interest or just being given the money free of charge from their parents.

Whilst the student from less well off backgrounds only have the option of taking out a loan with interest and large debt for a lot of their lifetime.

Seems very fair to me. :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
For the most part, grants are a force for good, they exist to help intelligent working class people utilize their intellect via university, it a necessity for social mobility. There will of course be cases where the wrong people get it, or the right people fail to get it, but these flaws make up the minority of cases.

Course I get a full grant and bursery, so I'm biased. But without it I could be stuck in council estates forever.

thank-you! thats exactly how I feel
Reply 58
Original post by Besakt
So students from well off backgrounds should be able to have the option of taking out a loan, borrowing money from parents at no interest or just being given the money free of charge from their parents.

Whilst the student from less well off backgrounds only have the option of taking out a loan with interest and large debt for a lot of their lifetime.

Seems very fair to me. :rolleyes:

the point is, not all parents will give them the money. So they are in the same situation as the students whose parents cant give them money.
Original post by segoviawoods
Exactly, it's ****ing stupid. I'm 18, I've finished school and college, and I'm not living at home (being at uni), why should my parents salary have any effect on how much I get! Given that I'm a moved out adult, why would there be any expectation that they would fund me?

Every person I know who is from a medium to high income category has a lot of help from the parents, some parents pay their rent, some give a couple of hundred every month. The fact is, you can pretend that this isn't the case, and that the students are completely independent but this is not true. I can guarantee that if you were to conduct a study, the majority of students from comfortable families do get financial help.

A lot of middle class parents encourage their children to go to uni, are you people really telling me that they'll just get rid of you and provide no help? Of course they would.

And if they don't, then that's up to your parents, the government can't make your parents give you money if they have it. If you're parents aren't willing to help you out then, they aren't doing their job.

Blame your parents, not the government.

There's a difference between those who can not provide financial support and those who just choose not to. Which category should provide financial help?

This is so annoying, it's greed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending