The Student Room Group

EMA

Scroll to see replies

what about people who use it for a good purpose? I used it to fund a tutor for my further maths on the lead up to the exams (self taught the rest). I wouldn't have my A grade if it wasn't for EMA :frown:

You have to take into account that not all of us use it to buy iPads and the like.
Original post by sunny_veggies
Yes you can apply straight to the funds but very few people get this and, in many cases I have seen, they never give the correct amount.
Also they will mainly only fund bus fares. Which is no use to many, they wont fund things like text books, stationary or trips.

And they did not make any effort to inform us of this fund either. IMO they should keep their fund and provide us with the neccessary stationary/text books rather than provide bus funds for people who could easily walk or get a lift in.

Well hundreds of people in my college got it :rolleyes:
Definitely seems more of a case of college/sixth form needing the prerogative to advertise it.
Original post by WelshBluebird
It isn't as easy as "get a job". If you haven't noticed, right now we have a massive shortage of jobs. Even graduates are struggling to find ANYTHING. In some areas, people who are in sixth form have no chance unless their parents or someone they know can get them in somewhere.

With regards to jobs and graduates, see my previous post about the relative ease and low cost associated with hiring part time students as opposed to full time graduates.

It's the general purpose of the EMA that bugs me. It was introduced well before the market crash of 2008, so I don't think the current job situation really justifies its initial introduction
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
With regards to jobs and graduates, see my previous post about the relative ease and low cost associated with hiring part time students as opposed to full time graduates.

It's the general purpose of the EMA that bugs me. It was introduced well before the market crash of 2008, so I don't think the current job situation really justifies its initial introduction

But the fact is we are not seeing that "relative ease". It is VERY VERY VERY difficult to get a job. In many places it is pretty much impossible. Are you saying we should essentially shun people from sixth form because there are no jobs where they live?

And the general purpose was to ensure everyone could attend sixth form no matter what their financial situation (or that of their parents).
Original post by WelshBluebird
But the fact is we are not seeing that "relative ease". It is VERY VERY VERY difficult to get a job. In many places it is pretty much impossible. Are you saying we should essentially shun people from sixth form because there are no jobs where they live?

Well as I said to the other girl who described her situation, I would not have a problem with targeted support for the few people that need it and have absolutely no other option, but that would include far fewer people than just everyone whose parents earn less than an arbitrary threshold. To claim JSA you have to show that you're actively looking for work. I don't see why the same can't apply to EMA

And the general purpose was to ensure everyone could attend sixth form no matter what their financial situation (or that of their parents).

... but with no regard to the fact that it's not needed by many of the people that receive it. It seems to work the wrong way around. Rather than it being a case of "here's some money just in case you have a bus fare to pay", it should be "Go to school, try to pay your own way - with part time work if necessary - and only if you absolutely cannot do so due to circumstances outside your control, there is support available"
Reply 25
In my experience, not one student who received EMA in my sixth form centre put it to good use. They spent it on unnecessary things such as nights out, funding their shopping trips and in the odd case- drugs. It was very poorly implemented, money should not have been handed out so easily.

However, I understand that some students were reliant on it in certain circumstances where their household income is very low. Therefore it would be fair if they were given vouchers to go towards textbooks and such, and possibly partially covered transport costs; under one condition, they cannot access the sixth form centre in any other way.

Additionally, the ambitious, hard working students should be entitled to the above scheme. EMA should not have been given to students studying courses such as "Beauty Level 2", etc. as it's hardly educational. However, if it went towards an intelligent student from a low-income household considering a top university and they live in a location where part time jobs are few and far between, hopefully they will be able to pay back the benefit via taxation.

In essence, it was a system open to abuse. My main principle is that parents should not have children they cannot afford, though the child didn't choose it and if they are intelligent, then minimum help should be provided where there isn't a feasible alternative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by xDave-
I didn't apply what I said to everyone and I don't assume that. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are many people that need it and rightfully so.

However, I know from first hand experience, and not just from that, that the system poorly targets people and shells out large sums of money to people who don't need it. That money is then, unsurprisingly, abused. I'm sure everyone recognises this, including the government. So why don't they do anything about it? Because EMA pays far less than JSA, and in this financial climate you're going to have a lot of school leavers that just end up having to sign on to that. I also know that from first hand experience.

It's naive to say that it's used properly by the majority and naive to say the government aren't paying people to stay off JSA.

Since when was £20 a week a large sum of money, which just about covers travel and food. Yes you can go out and get a job but not at a time like this, trust me I've tried. The one interview I went to the women didn't want to give me the job unless I worked at least 2 weekdays (times that clashed with sixth form). What's so wrong about receiving EMA - it makes life easier, meaning you can focus more on your studies. You know whenever I encounter anyone who moans about EMA it's usually because they never got it. There are people who very obviosly don't need it and you wonder why their eligble for it in the first place. However there's a lot of people especially at my sixth form who do need it.
Original post by xDave-
I didn't apply what I said to everyone and I don't assume that. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are many people that need it and rightfully so.

However, I know from first hand experience, and not just from that, that the system poorly targets people and shells out large sums of money to people who don't need it. That money is then, unsurprisingly, abused. I'm sure everyone recognises this, including the government. So why don't they do anything about it? Because EMA pays far less than JSA, and in this financial climate you're going to have a lot of school leavers that just end up having to sign on to that. I also know that from first hand experience.

It's naive to say that it's used properly by the majority and naive to say the government aren't paying people to stay off JSA.

I did say it has been used and abused in my original comments...

EMA has been stopped by the government and has been replaced by another system (I'm not sure of the ins and outs of this system but hopefully it has targeted the people who actually need it) so this is a step forward, but people should not be penalised for having a low household income, education should be available and accessible to those who have worked hard enough to continue it and EMA was a flawed method of encouraging this but it's "heart was in the right place" as it were.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by sunny_veggies
They're not. Anyone who started sixth form in September 2011 (i.e in year 12 or below now) doesnt get anything.

I still gt EMA tho :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Maple
Since when was £20 a week a large sum of money, which just about covers travel and food. Yes you can go out and get a job but not at a time like this, trust me I've tried. The one interview I went to the women didn't want to give me the job unless I worked at least 2 weekdays (times that clashed with sixth form). What's so wrong about receiving EMA - it makes life easier, meaning you can focus more on your studies. You know whenever I encounter anyone who moans about EMA it's usually because they never got it. There are people who very obviosly don't need it and you wonder why their eligble for it in the first place. However there's a lot of people especially at my sixth form who do need it.

It's £30 a week maximum plus bonuses. I believe it adds up to around £1000 per year, but I'm not sure. That's a large amount of money for someone that age, no?

I would've assumed it was obvious that I didn't get it and therefore I'm bitter. My personal feelings are irrelevant though, nothing I've said isn't true - it is abused and it is there to keep people off JSA. In fact it'd be even more apparent that's the truth if I was getting it, as I would personally be abusing it. It helps some people, for sure, but it's very poorly targeted.
(edited 12 years ago)

When I was at school I had part time jobs.

I had a part time job, and full EMA allowance. Most of that went on bills. The thing is, when you were at school, the truly poor people just didnt go to sixth form. Now they can.
Reply 31
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I did say it has been used and abused in my original comments...

That's why I specifically said pointed out the part where you said that the majority do not abuse it.

Let me clarify, again. I have no problem with money being given out to people who need it, and frankly I'm not that bothered if they want to give out money to people that don't. The only reason I quoted you was to point out how naive it was to say that the majority use it as intended.
i'm eligible for EMA for i dont get it and im fine without it....i'd be better with it obviously but I got EMA last year but it was based on the previous years income so i only got £20 despite the fact that my mum was unemployed (single parent family) they reduced it this year saying that if you got £20 or less then you wouldn't get any...technically im eligible for EMA but because of the way it was calculated at the time, i dont get it. I dont seem to be starving, i got pens and paper at the start of year and they've lasted. Everyone i know just spends their EMA on booze and fags but admittedly some people would be completely lost without it..
(edited 12 years ago)
I dissagree with most of these answers. EMA is also designed so less fortunate people can have the same experiences as more fortunate people. Wether that is going on a school trip, going to a theme park during social hours or buying some nice clothes.

Yes it is also to fund educational purposes though. But if you think about it.. who spends £30 on Stationary/books/Train tickets per week? And £2 is enough for food. And perhaps catch the school bus?
Reply 34
Original post by xDave-
It's £30 a week maximum plus bonuses. I believe it adds up to around £1000 per year, but I'm not sure. That's a large amount of money for someone that age, no?

I would've assumed it was obvious that I didn't get it and therefore I'm bitter. My personal feelings are irrelevant though, nothing I've said isn't true - it is abused and it is there to keep people off JSA. In fact it'd be even more apparent that's the truth if I was getting it, as I would personally be abusing it.

Bonuses were stopped a couple of years ago. I certainly never got any bonus but its been reduced to 20 quid now which as I said earlier isn't really much. So after I pay for my bus pass and food in the week, there is probably about a fiver left, possibly less If I happen to buy a novel or notepad. The kind of people who misuse it I imagine wouldn't even get in the first place as in my sixth form if you miss or are late to a lesson then you don't get anything for that week, meaning if your ill then you fund the rest of that week through whatever's left in your bank. Every school has terms and conditions on getting EMA but no one mentions that.
Reply 35
surely if the majority stayed in school to receive EMA then it is a success, with the off chance that they get good grades, regardless of what it was used for, it gave students disposable income which made them less economically dependent, the student would be a huge consumer group so in a way EMA helped the economy, so surely EMA was a good idea, also the government were going regain majority of it back anyway through tax.

one of the reasons why were still in a recession is because the majority of people have less the disposable income now to help rebuild the economy; the Government is not doing itself any favors
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36

At a time when the government is having to make damaging cuts to vital services, why are they still paying kids to go to school rather than telling them to go and peel potatoes in a chippy?

If kids drop out of college and start peeling potatoes for money instead of gaining the skills and knowledge that education will bring them, then in 10 years time when all potatoes are all peeled by machines, these kids will not have the skills to find them a sustainable job.

When you went to college and before EMA was introduced, many teenagers from low income groups didn't attend college either, however when EMA was introduced there was also an increase in applicants for colleges.
Original post by xDave-

I would've assumed it was obvious that I didn't get it and therefore I'm bitter. My personal feelings are irrelevant though, nothing I've said isn't true - it is abused and it is there to keep people off JSA. In fact it'd be even more apparent that's the truth if I was getting it, as I would personally be abusing it. It helps some people, for sure, but it's very poorly targeted.

They scrapped bonuses a couple of years ago, way before they scrapped EMA completely.

Even if EMA did keep people off JSA, at least the kids need to have 100% attendance in order to receive it and actually get some qualifications out of it instead of sitting on their backsides not doing anything (I'm not saying everyone who gets JSA does this, but it does happen).
Original post by Miracle Day
I dissagree with most of these answers. EMA is also designed so less fortunate people can have the same experiences as more fortunate people. Wether that is going on a school trip, going to a theme park during social hours or buying some nice clothes.

Yes it is also to fund educational purposes though. But if you think about it.. who spends £30 on Stationary/books/Train tickets per week? And £2 is enough for food. And perhaps catch the school bus?

A weekly bus ticket is £12 where I live so that's most of your EMA eaten up right there, and I made my own lunches to save money. Travel is pretty expensive nowadays; even worse if you get the train.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
A weekly bus ticket is £12 where I live so that's most of your EMA eaten up right there, and I made my own lunches to save money. Travel is pretty expensive nowadays; even worse if you get the train.

I think The EMA scheme should get quanlitative data instead of quantitative. They should highlight how much they need, highlight what they need it for etc.

I'm not against EMA, my friend is using it for his trip to the USA in October.. it's not fair he misses out really is it

Quick Reply

Latest