Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost my Samsung Galaxy Ace, only just started the contract - what can I do?

Announcements Posted on
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got my Samsung Galaxy Ace just before Christmas on an 18 month contract. Today I successfully managed to lose it in the space of 15 seconds whilst getting on the bus. I stupidly have no insurance on it and now have no idea what to do. I've looked everywhere and I think it's clear I'm not going to be getting it back any time soon.

So now what? Do I have to keep paying the contract for the next 17 months? Can I pay Virgin Mobile for a replacement?

EDIT: Think it might have been stolen. There's no way I could have actually "lost" that phone because I checked the place where I was sat texting on it about 10 seconds after I was sat there. Don't know whether this makes a difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Contact your provider. I'm assuming you can just pay a small fee for a new phone
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jLou711)
    Contact your provider. I'm assuming you can just pay a small fee for a new phone
    Small fee turned out to be £155. :facepalm2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OR you can just put the sim card into a different phone (providing it is unlocked or on the same network)

or just buy a new samsung for cheaper (second hand or through ebay or amazon etc)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, got until July this year until I could get an upgrade - they wanted £250 to buy my way out of the contract. No way jose! I ended up getting a cheapish phone to tide me over till then.

If you don't mind paying a small excess and the fact that there's a chance insurance premiums will go up, there might be a way you can claim it on your parents' household insurance. Try that?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    You pretty much need to suck it up and buy a replacement phone. Virgin will be able to transfer your contract onto a new sim card to use in the new handset provided it's unlocked (or locked to Virgin).
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bought a new phone, old phone turned up, took new phone back, got refund. Sorted
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in the 'old phone turned up' bit - tell us more
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Bought a new phone, old phone turned up, took new phone back, got refund. Sorted
    Yes, what exactly happened? :confused:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by softsez)
    I'm quite interested in the 'old phone turned up' bit - tell us more
    Turns out it was the thing she was using to go on the internet and post this message :cool:

Haha, no one is that stupid! Except my best friend... *hope she sees this*
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Yes, what exactly happened? :confused:
    It was handed into the council - I'm not sure whether by someone who decided to own up or whether my phone managed to jump off the bench I put it on and someone found it.... but either way, lucky I got it back!
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was handed into the council - I'm not sure whether by someone who decided to own up or whether my phone managed to jump off the bench I put it on and someone found it.... but either way, lucky I got it back!
    Consider yourself very lucky, I have never lost a contract phone, but never would want to be in such a position...
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Consider yourself very lucky, I have never lost a contract phone, but never would want to be in such a position...
    Well then let's hope you never do...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well then let's hope you never do...
    For the future, install an app like 'Where's My Droid?' - I'd recommend paying the 2.99 for the premium version too.

If it's lost or stolen, you can go online and lock the phone, get it to send it's GPS coordinates to you (either on a phone or the online client) and some other things too
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    For the future, install an app like 'Where's My Droid?' - I'd recommend paying the 2.99 for the premium version too.

If it's lost or stolen, you can go online and lock the phone, get it to send it's GPS coordinates to you (either on a phone or the online client) and some other things too
    I have done that already, but thanks for the suggestion!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.