Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents thought i'd be popular, but i'm not...

Announcements Posted on

Parents have told me a few times that they always thought i'd have a huge group of mates with boys and girls in, I now have had a bf for 2 years and they blame him, but I have always only had a few friends. I feel as though I have let my parents down, I have gone through lots of friend groups but I once shouted at my parents and said ''sorry i'm not perfect for you and failed to meet your perfect child!''
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with having a small group of friends, its better in some facts as it lowers peer pressure. Your parents should be happy your not going out every night on the drink.

And if you are then shame on you!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Popularity is totally overrated.

Who can you name who is genuinely popular? And by that I don't mean one of the cool kids who everyone says is "popular" because they're the kind who are actually very unpopular and treat most people like crap and get resneted for it, but for some strange reason they get away with it and remain "popular".

School is tough.

I'm sure these types exist after school, but who gives a crap now? I wish we all thought that back in school
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    Popularity is totally overrated.

Who can you name who is genuinely popular? And by that I don't mean one of the cool kids who everyone says is "popular" because they're the kind who are actually very unpopular and treat most people like crap and get resneted for it, but for some strange reason they get away with it and remain "popular".

School is tough.

I'm sure these types exist after school, but who gives a crap now? I wish we all thought that back in school
    Not really, at my school there was one guy who was friends with everyone, he was just friendly to everyone he met while still hanging around with the 'cool' gang. There are plenty of people who are part of the 'cool' gang but still do plenty of 'uncool' activities.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't even try :L thats what i did i can sit and hold a conversation with any group in my year without raising an eybrow (apart from the scene weirdos cos they hate society) but i only have a couple of guys whom i truly consider friends and know they have my back
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're parents don't like how you choose to live your social life, it really is no business of theirs. Honestly you're most likely going to have closer friendships that last longer as a result. Not saying that if you have a lot of friends then those are meaningless, but if you have more time to get to know people, and put effort into those friendships then they will be more rewarding.

Just live your life and be happy As Kyran said, they should be grateful you're not going off the rails!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One serious friendship beats loads of 'mates' any day. Nothing to do with being popular, just choosy and that's a good thing.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol who gives a **** about popularity?

I'd rather have a few mates whom I am contempt with and can trust.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no inherent good in popularity. I think most reasoned people acknowledge this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Expectation is a prison which a lot of parents lock their children up in willingly. By repeatedly voicing their own views on what and how they want their children to be for reasons which are mostly selfish, they are sure to create future adults who think they are failures/not good enough, and who consequently have insecurities and suffer from self-loathing. These thoughts are bound to affect all aspects of those children's future lives.

Please do not live by your parents' expectations of you. Live your life doing what you really want to do. If you are happy having few friends, so be it! What matters is that you accept who you are and be the person you know you are deep down, not an imaginary construct of your parents' minds

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 13, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.