The Student Room Group

Laser Teeth Whitening. Anybody had this done?

Hi,

I have pretty good teeth however I've noticed that they are starting to tinge a little bit from the amount of coffee I drink. It's not bad at all and people say that it's not noticeable, but I notice it. So i've had getting my teeth whitened on the agenda for a while.

I was just on groupon and there was a local deal on for £250 laser teeth whitening reduced to £49 and so I've decided to go for it.

Has anybody had any experience with 1 hour laser teeth whitening? I'm sure it must work as it's for sale at almost all private dentists. Only opted for laser treatment as I don't wanna wait a month for the trays to get moulded and sent off.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. It hurt.

99% of whitening methods will increase sensitivity in some way - how long or how severely depends on your teeth and the whitening method you use. I suffered 5 weeks of agony after the "blue light" treatment I had, it made my teeth that sensitive. And I only had a half hour session because I was squirming in the chair.

Turns out my dentist had failed to diagnose mild sensitivity which would have ruled me out of getting the treatment in the first place. I stick to tray treatments now, you can buy kits you shape yourself you know.
Reply 2
Don't do it. I went in for some laser teeth treatment, now whenever I open my mouth I destroy everything around me with a laser death ray. It really wasn't worth it.
Original post by Abi24
Yes. It hurt.

99% of whitening methods will increase sensitivity in some way - how long or how severely depends on your teeth and the whitening method you use. I suffered 5 weeks of agony after the "blue light" treatment I had, it made my teeth that sensitive. And I only had a half hour session because I was squirming in the chair.

Turns out my dentist had failed to diagnose mild sensitivity which would have ruled me out of getting the treatment in the first place. I stick to tray treatments now, you can buy kits you shape yourself you know.

I tried one of the ones which you mould yourself but I wasn't a fan as it kept going out of shape. Thankfully I got that off groupon too for only £20 instead of £100
Reply 4
Original post by Bleak Lemming
I tried one of the ones which you mould yourself but I wasn't a fan as it kept going out of shape. Thankfully I got that off groupon too for only £20 instead of £100

i did it. there were sharp pains in my teeth for 1 day, i couldnt drink or eat anything either in that day except water.
it makes yellow teeth significantly whiter, but has no effect on whitening dull coloured teeth
Original post by Jihad
i did it. there were sharp pains in my teeth for 1 day, i couldnt drink or eat anything either in that day except water.
it makes yellow teeth significantly whiter, but has no effect on whitening dull coloured teeth

Great my teeth are slightly tinged with yellow due to coffee so hopefully it should work.
what is this groupon thing? i'd like to have the Tom Cruise blinding smile LOL
Original post by xev bellringer
what is this groupon thing? i'd like to have the Tom Cruise blinding smile LOL

google groupon..
Hi,

I have pretty good teeth however I've noticed that they are starting to tinge a little bit from the amount of coffee I drink. It's not bad at all and people say that it's not noticeable, but I notice it. So i've had getting my teeth whitened on the agenda for a while.

I was just on groupon and there was a local deal on for £250 laser teeth whitening reduced to £49 and so I've decided to go for it.

Has anybody had any experience with 1 hour laser teeth whitening? I'm sure it must work as it's for sale at almost all private dentists. Only opted for laser treatment as I don't wanna wait a month for the trays to get moulded and sent off.

I haven't tried laser whitening but I use Crest whitening strips which are amazing. Just in case you want an alternative.
Reply 9
Personally I'd go for a 30 minute a day bleaching kit.

This is what I got from my dentist. Cost me £300 quid but I had custom trays made with a quick turnaround which justifies the extortionate cost a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-Whitening-Sensitivity-DayWhite/dp/B0041B4776

There was a little bit of sensitivity and my teeth are notoriously sensitive! After 7 days I had a good (but not ridiculous) level of whiteness. My dentist also did laser treatment but he said bleach was better and longer lasting.

Also veneers, crowns and fillings don't whiten. I had to get my crowns after I had bleached for colour matching.
Original post by JaSPLuNK!
Personally I'd go for a 30 minute a day bleaching kit.

This is what I got from my dentist. Cost me £300 quid but I had custom trays made with a quick turnaround which justifies the extortionate cost a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-Whitening-Sensitivity-DayWhite/dp/B0041B4776

There was a little bit of sensitivity and my teeth are notoriously sensitive! After 7 days I had a good (but not ridiculous) level of whiteness. My dentist also did laser treatment but he said bleach was better and longer lasting.

Also veneers, crowns and fillings don't whiten. I had to get my crowns after I had bleached for colour matching.

if its so cheap on amazon why the £300...just for piece of mind...or was that cost mostly for the moulded tray?
Like mentioned, you might be better off with a kit. I've been looking myself, but a lot of kits seem to make very little change, so you have to beware.
Reply 12
Original post by bone-machine
if its so cheap on amazon why the £300...just for piece of mind...or was that cost mostly for the moulded tray?

It was a private dentist (says it all) but he did get a quick turnaround on the custom trays which kind of justifies the price to me - I needed to have teeth whitening and two custom crowns done in like two weeks for a wedding.

Good thing is though once you have the trays you can just keep buying the bleach on amazon when you need to 'top up'

Definitely get custom trays, it will be worth it in the long run. Maybe the NHS do them cheaper, who knows.
Reply 13
Original post by FelixFelicis
I haven't tried laser whitening but I use Crest whitening strips which are amazing. Just in case you want an alternative.

where do you buy the whitening strips from? what are they called? do you have a link? I've never used them before, i've had the laser at a dentist which was painful, expensive, and didn't whiten my teeth significantly.. in what ways is it amazing?
Original post by Nnuunnuu
where do you buy the whitening strips from? what are they called? do you have a link? I've never used them before, i've had the laser at a dentist which was painful, expensive, and didn't whiten my teeth significantly.. in what ways is it amazing?

They are called "Crest whitening strips." I buy them from eBay (just make sure the ones you are buying are genuine). They are amazing because they make my teeth insanely white. To the point where people comment on how white my teeth are. Just search for them on youtube or something, and you'll get a product review.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
They are called "Crest whitening strips." I buy them from eBay (just make sure the ones you are buying are genuine). They are amazing because they make my teeth insanely white. To the point where people comment on how white my teeth are. Just search for them on youtube or something, and you'll get a product review.

how do i know the ones i'm buying are genuine? i looked up on ebay, are these the ones you are talking about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Crest-Teeth-Whitening-Strips-Stain-Shield-Whitestrips-14-Days-/280788754528?pt=UK_HealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&hash=item4160506060
and do you know if they are genuine?
i looked them up on youtube, they seem very good
thank you for your help
Reply 16

Could you please provide the link to the ones you buy. I havent actually brought anything from ebay before and I'd like to know I'm getting the genuine product also. I have heard good things about them but again I know genuine ones are hard to get hold of in the UK.
Blimey, the amount of questions I've had about these whitening strips!
Original post by Nnuunnuu
how do i know the ones i'm buying are genuine? i looked up on ebay, are these the ones you are talking about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Crest-Teeth-Whitening-Strips-Stain-Shield-Whitestrips-14-Days-/280788754528?pt=UK_HealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&hash=item4160506060
and do you know if they are genuine?
i looked them up on youtube, they seem very good
thank you for your help

You're welcome :h:
I'm not too sure about that link..I never buy single packets, I always buy a sealed box so that I know they haven't been tampered with.
This seller is legit.

Original post by Noirla
Could you please provide the link to the ones you buy. I havent actually brought anything from ebay before and I'd like to know I'm getting the genuine product also. I have heard good things about them but again I know genuine ones are hard to get hold of in the UK.

Link. :^_^:
Reply 18
I'm bigging up Crest too! They're wonderful for removing stains :smile:
Reply 19
Hi,

You'll definitely get the best aesthetic results this way. But bear in mind that there will be at least SOME increase in sensitivity. It might be mild, it might be so bad you can't drink a cup of coffee or a can of coke. Suppose it's quite effective at reducing staining in that sense!

The reason for the sensitivity increase, is that there are things called microtubules in the surface of the enamel of your teeth. This is what allows them to stain in the first place. Teeth are porus contrary to popular belief. The whitening agent... usually carbamide peroxide. Iritates these tiny channels and increases sensitivity by allowing increased nerve conduction of the hot/cold sense. Because of this increased "sensitivity" of your senses. The nerve impulses are far stronger and manifest as pain.

This is just something for you to think over, i know if i were to have it done, i'd like to know the science behind it.
There are gentler ways, overnight trays, crest whitening strips and whitening toothpastes. However, the level of the active ingriedient in toothpaste is incredibly low for health and safety reasons and probabaly serves only to hinder further staining rather than remove it.

Hope this has helped :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest