Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BB Cream

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I know it's a big thing in Hong Kong, Japan, China etc and it's claimed to work it wonders - but has anyone tried using BB Creams? Does it really do concealer, foundation etc in one?

If so, what's the best one to get?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried the Asian brands, just the Garnier one. It's like a tinted moisturiser. Gives the skin a nice glow + some coverage but is a little too dark.

Bobbi Brown does one that is VERY well reviewed on makeupalley. I would try that or one of the well reviewed Korean brands.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got the garnier one, which is a good colour for my skin. Only issue is that it is OVERLY perfumed and so not great for very sensitive skin.

It moisturises really well, and conceals a bit, but not too much, which is ok as I use a concealer on any dark circles/ faint acne scarring.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I use BB cream and for me it's one of my holy grail products. It takes me literally 30 seconds to apply and usually that's all I wear for skin make-up. I should probably mention that I'm Chinese, though, and on other skintones it may be different.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bare Back cream? I seen that movie.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlissJunkie)
    I use BB cream and for me it's one of my holy grail products. It takes me literally 30 seconds to apply and usually that's all I wear for skin make-up. I should probably mention that I'm Chinese, though, and on other skintones it may be different.
    Which one do you use? And what shade? Out of interest
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalclearmagic)
    Which one do you use? And what shade? Out of interest
    Currently I'm using Missha BB Cream no. 23 and for reference I'm around a MAC NC30. I've tried a few others as well which are good like Skin79, but I guess the problem is the limited range of shades.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought it without really knowing what it's for. It's basically tinted moisturiser, I use concealer in the problem areas and then put BB cream on my whole face to blend it in which works okay
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    BB creams are a bit of a fad, there are some nice ones though. If you like tinted moisturisers you will like BB cream because they are basically the same thing. Some BB creams give a bit more coverage and can be more compatible with oily skin. Both have sheer coverage so I would only use if you have minor imperfection, if you have acne/scarring you are going to need a medium coverage foundation or concealer. Like I said they are a nice product but don't expect dramatic results, it feels very similar to a tinted moisturiser.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't too keen on it, found it too dark on my skin and I was using the lightest shade (I'm not even that fair skinned!). I don't rate it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My sister uses BB Cream and it works really well on her, she has a paler complexion and used Asian Brands like Missha B, Etude House and Maybelline. I'm a bit darker so it made me look ashy (not cool) and I tried the new ones on sale over here and don't really fancy them. I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go though, get some free samples http://www.boots-samples.com/garnier/b-b-cream/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've only used the Garnier one, it's alright but even the light one is too dark and I'm really not that pale.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallois)
    Will everyone saying BB Creams are like tinted moisturisers stop please :P Proper BB Creams, as in Korean (Asian) ones, offer a lot more coverage than a tinted moisturiser. You may still need a concealer for a few spots or whatever.

They're also in no way a 'fad'. They're an established beauty staple in the Asian world and have been popular for many years now, it's just the Western world has been incredibly slow to catch on, and now that they have, they're producing some pretty awful results which are much more like tinted moisturisers than their korean sisters.

If you want to try a korean BB cream and not pay an arm and a leg, then try Bello-Girl over at eBay. She only sells genuine products and she does them at such reasonable prices too! Plus she usually sends little satchet samples of other BB Creams for you to try as well. Your best place to start would be something like Missha M Perfect Cover or maybe Skin79. Holika Holika is the cheapest BB creams she does but they are really good and they do 5 different varieties of their Petite range depending on your skin type (Clearing, Moisture, Essential, Watery and Shimmer).
    Perhaps fad was the wrong word. What I meant was theres always a new wonder product on the market that claims to sort all your problems. A couple of years ago it was mineral makeup, despite it being around for years it had a huge resurgence from companies claiming it will do everything from covering all your skin problems to giving you perfect skin underneath. That new wonder product is now BB creams and some western companies are cashing in on some quite big claims. I've heard from others than asian BB creams are quite different to the western versions, I've only tried a few so I can't really say, but they are very comparable to tinted moistures. I was just trying to warn people that while BB creams may be great don't expect them to perform miracles, if you have ok skin and only need a sheer coverage then you will get on well, if you have lots of scars/ acne you will need a higher coverage, if you already like tinted moisturisers you will probably like BB creams!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have the No7 one and i really like it, it provides enough coverage to even my skin tone out but it doesn't look like a full face of foundation. I wouldn't wear them on a night out but they're perfect for work days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear the Etude House BB Magic Cream and I loved it. It was very slightly too dark but not noticeably so, and controlled my oily skin well. It wasn't full coverage but it covered blemishes pretty well and honestly I never felt like I was wearing anything on my face. I used the whole tube and was going to repurchase but chose not to simply because I wanted to try different products.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching for one while I'm in Japan but they all include skin whitening effect (which I really don't want!)

Bought L'oreal Nude Magique BB cream yesterday, it's more like a tinted moisturiser really. It's such a huge shame, the coverage is fantastic but the lightest shade they sell (light fair) is still way too dark for my skin.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Bought L'oreal Nude Magique BB cream yesterday, it's more like a tinted moisturiser really. It's such a huge shame, the coverage is fantastic but the lightest shade they sell (light fair) is still way too dark for my skin.
    I tried this today too - so weird that it goes on white!! wayyy too dark for my skin but still looking quite nice and smooth after a few hours.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching for one while I'm in Japan but they all include skin whitening effect (which I really don't want!)

I have to say I'm always sceptical of these "whitening effect" things - I brought a L'oreal one that said it would lighten up dark spots etc etc and had a whitening effect (cost quite a bit too) and I followed the instructions exactly and did it work? No....
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

I use Skin79 which is a korean brand. It's supposed to have skin whitening effects too but my skin is quite dark compared to korean girls and i don't look ghastly white or anything. I think, unless you put too much on it goes on your skin with an ashy colour otherwise i find it fits my skin nicely. If you're looking for a pale shade the ones they've started selling in boots like the Garnier one looks really light - though i've never tried it so i dont know whether it oxidises much on skin.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use the Missha Moisture BB cream because my skin is really dry. I'm Korean and my skin tone is around the same as the average Korean. My mum got it for me when she was in Korea a few months ago and it works well. The Western cosmetic market are extremely slow...
    Having read loads of reviews by Korean people (in Korean) on different BB creams from different brands,
    get one from Missha. They're really well respected for BB creams.
    Make sure you get the right skin tone though, otherwise you risk looking like a ghost...which some people do.
    Etude House, Lioele, Missha, Tony Moly, Innisfree. You should try looking for BB creams from them - they're all Korean.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.