Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Contraception for teenagers

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they're 16 and older and therefore legally allowed to get contraceptives such as the implant without parental permission I fail to see the problem...
    Especially if it helps more young people actually use contraception, I mean whats better, finding out your 16 year old got the implant at school without your consent when its legal or your same child to not being allowed to get the contraception and possibly falling pregnant...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've raised your daughter well, this needn't be an issue. For everyone else, yes, please spay them so that we don't have to be burdened with the social costs that come with having teenage mothers.
    • 10 followers

(Original post by Bobifier)
    I wouldn't want my parents all over everything that I do, but I am certain that it is important that they be involved in this vital stage of their childrens' development.
    Maybe if the author of the article was more approachable and open with her daughter, and didn't insist on infantalizing her, then she would be more involved in important decisions in her child's life. If her daughter decided to have the implant without telling her mother then the mother should look at the quality of her parenting first, rather than complain about the government.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    Haven't read the article as my work computer blocks news sites (wtf?), though it's probably a blessing as I can't access the Daily Mail!

Playing devil's advocate...

...if you were a parent, how would you feel if this had happened to your child without your knowledge?

I'd be pleased that the government is trying to do something to stop teenage pregnancy to be fair. If I had kids, they would know all about sex by the time they were 13, and I would do my best to ensure they knew the dangers and consequences.

Figures suggest that parents obviously aren't doing enough to prevent teenage pregnancy, and for once, I think it's a good idea that the government is stepping up to the task.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read the article as my work computer blocks news sites (wtf?), though it's probably a blessing as I can't access the Daily Mail!

...if you were a parent, how would you feel if this had happened to your child without your knowledge?
    I'd be proud she actually had the sense to get the implant and very relieved she wasn't going to get pregnant. Lets face it if a teenager wants to have sex they will do it, contraception or no contraception.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...=feeds-newsxml

The gist of this article is that it is by a mother who has discovered that her school is now allowed to give teenage girls a contraceptive implant that lasts 3 years without the consent or knowledge of the parents. Understandably, she is not amused by this turn of affairs. I apologise that I didn't find an objective unbiased report, but I think this article contains most of the key facts.

While I would agree that it is tremendously important to reduce teenage pregnancy rates, this doesn't look to me like the way to do it. The author of the article makes the important points that the school is now allowed to perform basically non-essential surgical operations on children without the consent or even the knowledge of the parents, and that this idea potentially removes the parents from the relationship process of their children. I wouldn't want my parents all over everything that I do, but I am certain that it is important that they be involved in this vital stage of their childrens' development.
    It's non of their business if the girl wants contraception though, it's hers.

Finally, it seems to me like an attempt by the government to parent our children for us. It completely disassociates the parents from the relationship process, and lets the school and basically the government handle it instead. That said, it doesn't even oblige the school to handle it on an emotional level, just lets them deal with the problem in a physical sense. I'm sure this is a good idea for some parents, but I am equally sure that it is both unnecessary and patronising to most.
    No, it allows a young woman to decide without parental pressure whether she wants contraception and what type she wants.

So, how do we feel? Yay teen pregnancy? Yay government control? Yay giving children control? Air your views here!
    I think this is a good thing,it allows a young woman to be able to easily access the options available to her. Denying people contraception won't stop them having sex, so by providing them with contraception and information, you're helping them be safe and responsible, which is only a good thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a good idea.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good idea. Gillick and Fraser competence mean that children under 16 can access contraception without their parents consent if they are deemed competent by a doctor, so this hasn't changed. All that has changed is how accessible contraception is. Teens may not want to go to their GP for fear of being seen in the waiting room by family and friends, and might not want to visit a GUM clinic; when I was 13 I didn't know where my local one was, and I didn't realise that GUM notes are kept separately to other medical notes, which could be a big incentive not to go.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why parents may be a little unhappy about this. However, we can either kid ourselves that teenagers have no sexual desires and aren't having sex, or we can accept that this happens and allow them to make informed decisions about contraception.

My sister is 10, and although the idea of her having sex at all in the future seems awful to me (it feels like only yesterday that she was born!), I would rather she get an implant/the pill rather than fall pregnant at 14.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Really, stepping aside from your own subjective views on morality and sex - the legal age to give medical consent (that is, consent to medical procedures such as this) is 16. If those children are under 16, they are not legally able to consent to the medical procedure without their parents consent. So really that should nip the whole furore in the bud before we conflate it with discourses about underage sex etc.
    Pow!

(Original post by Banleno)
    Has anyone considered what damage may be happening to young, still devleoping females with all those lovely devices being implanted in them? Yes they stop pregnancy but they also deliver a healthy dose of chemicals which I'm sure can't all be good for you. Has anyone else wondered why we seem to be having a massive problem with fertility and with mental problems? Has anyone wondered if maybe, just maybe, pumping young bodys with all these chemicals may just be a bad idea?
    So true it's just a massive test to see what the effects are. Watch a few years down the line they will all be suffering from problems.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe the parents should not be completely unaware if their child wants this, however I don't think it should require the parent's permission.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Inserting an implant isn't an operation. I don't think it's much different to having an injection other than it's something solid being inserted rather than a liquid.

This would only be done on girls who chose to have it done and after they've been assessed to determine that they're mature enough to understand what it's for and possible consequences.

But is it THAT much different to going to a doctors and having it done. It would be a doctor/nurse that inserted it not by Bob the supply teacher.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can go to the doctors and have the implant inserted without your parents knowing too...
    If i had a daugher i'd rather she have protected sex than unprotected even if its not at the most agreeable age.
    People are going to have sex either way, denying them the contraception just increases the risk.
    Personally, while i have a fantastic completely open relationship with my parents, i dont think it's any of their business who their children are sleeping with and it's certainly not their place to object, i think they should just appreciate the fact that the contraception is available.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree with making contraception available. What would this mother have written had her daughter told her that she was pregnant? Then there would have been outrage about not enough education on the fact that sex can lead to pregnancy, or some such nonsense.

It seems like offering teenagers a longer term contraception method is more responsible that just handing them a pack of pills that they may forget to take.

I found it rather shocking that this mother would prefer her daughter take the MAP than have the implant.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A person of 13 is still a child in my view and needs to be counselled by her parents/relatives before taking contraception. Why a girl of that age is even thinking about sex is ridiculous. Even now 26 emotionally sex can be a mine field. They need to counsel girls and boys about the importance of waiting until they are older and more emotionally mature, in order to handle the consequences that come with being in a sexual relationship. What happened to just hugging even kissing? Why is everything about sex?

To those who argue well they will do it anyway, not if you're a good parent. Teach a girl or boy to respect their body and others and you will find that the majority will at least wait until their later teenage years. I was 18 when I lost my virginity in a relationship out of fear of my parents killing me if got pregnant, catching something (even with contraception) etc. I have always used the implant and a condom (much to my boyfriend's annoyance despite him not being ready for a child), as I do not want a child yet and am now old enough to be confident of my own decisions. Can most young girls say the same?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)

So true it's just a massive test to see what the effects are. Watch a few years down the line they will all be suffering from problems.
    There are positive effects of taking the pill/hormonal contraception. It's not that dangerous.

(Original post by u02dpb7)
    A person of 13 is still a child in my view and needs to be counselled by her parents/relatives before taking contraception. Why a girl of that age is even thinking about sex is ridiculous.
    Why? If she's mentally capable to make that decision (Gillick competence)

They need to counsel girls and boys about the importance of waiting until they are older and more emotionally mature, in order to handle the consequences that come with being in a sexual relationship.
    Age =/= maturity. If someone has all the information and decides to have sex, why should anyone stop them? Why is it anyone's business?

To those who argue well they will do it anyway, not if you're a good parent. Teach a girl or boy to respect their body and others and you will find that the majority will at least wait until their later teenage years.
    What exactly is disrespectful about having sex? :lolwut:

I was 18 when I lost my virginity in a relationship out of fear of my parents killing me if got pregnant, catching something (even with contraception) etc. I have always used the implant and a condom (much to my boyfriend's annoyance despite him not being ready for a child), as I do not want a child yet and am now old enough to be confident of my own decisions. Can most young girls say the same?
    Great, that was the right decision for you. But it's not right for everyone. Why do some believe they have a moral authority over others? It's sex. Nothing evil or sinful or dirty. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LipstickKisses)
    There are positive effects of taking the pill/hormonal contraception. It's not that dangerous.

Why? If she's mentally capable to make that decision (Gillick competence)

Age =/= maturity. If someone has all the information and decides to have sex, why should anyone stop them? Why is it anyone's business?

What exactly is disrespectful about having sex? :lolwut:

Great, that was the right decision for you. But it's not right for everyone. Why do some believe they have a moral authority over others? It's sex. Nothing evil or sinful or dirty. :rolleyes:
    I never said sex was sinful or dirty it's great! But we have to teach responsibility and accountability that comes with having sex as opposed to just trying to cover up the problem with a contraceptive.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u02dpb7)
    I never said sex was sinful or dirty it's great! But we have to teach responsibility and accountability that comes with having sex as opposed to just trying to cover up the problem with a contraceptive.
    Surely by using contraception in the first place, they are treating sex responsibly? I don't understand why people think casual sex or a relaxed attitude to sex automatically means the person is being irresponsible.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

If I were a parent, how I felt about it would be irrelevant. Presumably the guidelines for establishing competence were followed, just as they would be if she'd gone to a GP's surgery. As long as she's competent, then confidentiality applies and it'd be none of my business.

(Original post by LipstickKisses)
    Surely by using contraception in the first place, they are treating sex responsibly? I don't understand why people think casual sex or a relaxed attitude to sex automatically means the person is being irresponsible.
    Also this. Seriously people, there is nothing wrong with sex.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    what would you rather have, pregnant teenagers or teenagers practising safe sex?
    Teens will always want to have sex with eachother, so you may as well make it safe.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 9, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.