The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Luigi
The Arabs MADE numbers. If it wasn't for them, you wouldn't know how to count.

Really i wonder where 'Thick Arab,' came from:rolleyes:
Reply 21
40% of 3% of the population...

yes...i see it happening at some point, not :biggrin:
Akhoza

He means that the symbols: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 are arabic in origin. Numbers themselves were invented by the Sumerians. But that's neither here nor there.

Absolute Sharia law is utterly out of the question in a secular country - what the poll was measuring was support for Sharia law, amongst the muslim community, where it does not contravene British law. Which is impossible - you can't have two different law systems for the same area, they would undermine one another.

Problem with these polls is that they're engineered to give a specific answer, then quoted out of context.
Reply 23
Axiom
I'd take anything the Daily Mail has published with a pinch of salt

Even when they're quoting an ICM poll?
Reply 24
Gravastar
Absolute Sharia law is utterly out of the question in a secular country - what the poll was measuring was support for Sharia law, amongst the muslim community, where it does not contravene British law.

No, where the penalties do not controvene British law. That means you can be tried and found guilty for crimes that dont exist under British law.

Which is impossible - you can't have two different law systems for the same area, they would undermine one another.

61% of Muslims want to be tried in Sharia courts and not those of the British legal system. I'd say that was a problem. As the Telegraph article suggests, there wont be two legal systems for the same area, because the concentration of Muslims in one area will see one replace the other. A state within a state, as the article is titled.
Reply 25
Sorry is it just me who thinks when you go to a foreign country one should accept and respect the laws and customs of that country. If you don't like it then simply don't go to that country.
Reply 26
alexanderw
A lot of muslims were born here, they didn't actually come here.

but if they don't like it, why don't they leave?
Reply 27
Luigi
Crap hole? Britain is largest crap hole in the world. I'd love to live in Iran, only I prefer to take advantage of the NHS thanks. :smile:

And, I enjoy taking advantage of the precious oil fields occupied in Islamic nations. I enjoy taking it with force, and without permission even more. :smile:
Reply 28
Vienna
61% of Muslims want to be tried in Sharia courts and not those of the British legal system. I'd say that was a problem. As the Telegraph article suggests, there wont be two legal systems for the same area, because the concentration of Muslims in one area will see one replace the other. A state within a state, as the article is titled.

The possible legal loopholes that dual legal systems would provide are endless, and would no doubt provide a nightmare for prosecutors and defendants alike.
Flux
Not as compatable with western democracy as we are led to believe maybe?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=377612&in_page_id=1770

the mail, what a surprise.
i do wonder what cross section of muslims they managed who wanted sharia law - and with it a ban on booze (its part and parcel i believe).

did they just park up outside a mosque or something..?

i would bet alot that this cross section of muslims was very poorly done, and always going to be biased towards those most vocal/hardline about their religion.

the majority of people in this country would class themselves as christian.
but you ask people on the street if they are pro-life or pro-choice, and then do the same outside a church on a sunday morning...
Reply 30
Stop with the knit picking, obviously you have nothing of value to add so you go for knit picking. Are you so silly everything needs to be spelt out to you? Common sense would be a bonus if you could get to grips with it.
The fanatics within this group really need to be dealt with, why with so many different groups immigrating to Britain this particular group causes the most alarm?
Technically they did come here as a twinkle in their parents or grandparents eye!
Reply 31
Stavross
Stop with the knit picking, obviously you have nothing of value to add so you go for knit picking. Are you so silly everything needs to be spelt out to you? Common sense would be a bonus if you could get to grips with it.
The fanatics within this group really need to be dealt with, why with so many different groups immigrating to Britain this particular group causes the most alarm?
Technically they did come here as a twinkle in their parents or grandparents eye!

And, I can tell by your red rep that you have a firm "grip" on things, right?

And, yes. I am THAT silly. Spell it out for me.
Akhoza

just because one guy is being a total jerk in the name of islam and arabs, don't sink to his level, or tar them all with the same brush.
Reply 33
Sorry I don't know where to start when it comes to Americans. One lesson would have to be on how to elect a leader who has more than 2 brain cells. A guide on how to not P'*s off the rest of the world. I personally don't like to have the grip you Americans simply want on the world, personally live and let live, just because they don't live the American dream doesn't make them the enemy.
Reply 34
Stavross
Sorry I don't know where to start when it comes to Americans. One lesson would have to be on how to elect a leader who has more than 2 brain cells. A guide on how to not P'*s off the rest of the world. I personally don't like to have the grip you Americans simply want on the world, personally live and let live, just because they don't live the American dream doesn't make them the enemy.

What does English Law have to do with the "American Dream?"
Reply 35
Nothing at all, what are you smoking boy? Who said anything about England or the Law.
Axiom
I'd take anything the Daily Mail has published with a pinch of salt

A pinch of salt? i'd say about an oceans worth....

and polls, you people are taking polls seriously?weren't there only a few hundred people in it?
Reply 37
Stavross
Nothing at all, what are you smoking boy? Who said anything about England or the Law.

The title of the thread? Oh, wait. Sarcasm....right....
Reply 38
No, when one quotes what another member said we tend to discuss that, as you would see digression is common here. If you want to keep on the thread topic don't quote digressions.
As a yank I wouldn't suggest attempting any complex outbursts your thinking hasn't evolved to that level. Sorry I know all the science stuff is glossed over by the bible thumping fanatics.
Reply 39
Shock horror, some Muslims would support the implementation of Islamic law!
Of course, Christians, if asked, would say quite sincerely that they are totally opposed to Christian principles being implemented, because Christians are far superior to those horrible Muslims.

Latest

Trending

Trending