The Student Room Group

University offers I've received

I started my Access to Computing course last year September like everyone else here I think. I applied for computer science knowing full and well the modules my course has don't really match what the universities want. Although to my suprise I've received some quite nice offers, well only 2 at the moment and one rejection.

Keele offered first and want: 65% of the total level 3 grades at distinction

Thought to myself, ah that's gonna be a tough one, as I suffer from IBS and anxiety so I do miss a few lessons here n there.

But then out of nowhere Royal Holloway university (my saviour) offer me to pass the Access course and acquire merits in 6 units. I jumped in joy and still am.

Leicester rejected me. Not a problem.

All in all I'm very happy with that offer, and never thought I'd get an offer like that. I honestly was expecting even more distinctions from holloway than keele asked for.
Reply 1
hehe well done!
Thanks, are you doing an access course?
Congratulations.
Reply 4
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
T...

Nice one.
I just had a look at the RH course and it looks fairly technical but very interesting, especially in years 2 and 3. Also sounds like they do a good range of programming languages; java, c++, prolog and matlab are all mentioned.

If it were me RH would be my first choice, especially with that very achievable offer..... and I would say it is the more respected university (being UOL), I would say it is probably above Leicester too, so no loss there.

I know I'm forever banging on about maths.... but if the Access is your only mathematical foundation then I would contact the admissions tutor and ask for details on the maths they teach, so you can prepare yourself in the couple of months you have off after the Access course. (I'm assuming your course is like mine was and only has 5 or 6 level three credits in maths).

How much programming are you doing on your course? - We did about 6 credits of programming with 'C' and although I've been doing JavaScript at Uni, I found knowing about data types, loops, functions, and some techy terminology was a real help. If you aren't doing any programming then it certainly wouldn't hurt to just explore a few basics if you have time, but it isn't essential as they will teach from scratch.

If you suffer IBS and anxiety to a level where it has an impact on your performance then I would say you should speak to your GP; get it on the record now. Next year you may well be entitled to DSA when applying for student finance (but they do need medical evidence).

DSA can get you equiptment or reasonable allowances made so that you can perform your best at Uni. For example, I suffer anxiety and I get a little extra exam time and to sit exams in a smaller room with less people, this is a real help. DSA can also provide funds for study skills or counselling support if needed.

Congrats on the offer :-)
Original post by BigV
Nice one.
I just had a look at the RH course and it looks fairly technical but very interesting, especially in years 2 and 3. Also sounds like they do a good range of programming languages; java, c++, prolog and matlab are all mentioned.

If it were me RH would be my first choice, especially with that very achievable offer..... and I would say it is the more respected university (being UOL), I would say it is probably above Leicester too, so no loss there.

I know I'm forever banging on about maths.... but if the Access is your only mathematical foundation then I would contact the admissions tutor and ask for details on the maths they teach, so you can prepare yourself in the couple of months you have off after the Access course. (I'm assuming your course is like mine was and only has 5 or 6 level three credits in maths).

How much programming are you doing on your course? - We did about 6 credits of programming with 'C' and although I've been doing JavaScript at Uni, I found knowing about data types, loops, functions, and some techy terminology was a real help. If you aren't doing any programming then it certainly wouldn't hurt to just explore a few basics if you have time, but it isn't essential as they will teach from scratch.

If you suffer IBS and anxiety to a level where it has an impact on your performance then I would say you should speak to your GP; get it on the record now. Next year you may well be entitled to DSA when applying for student finance (but they do need medical evidence).

DSA can get you equiptment or reasonable allowances made so that you can perform your best at Uni. For example, I suffer anxiety and I get a little extra exam time and to sit exams in a smaller room with less people, this is a real help. DSA can also provide funds for study skills or counselling support if needed.

Congrats on the offer :-)

Wow awesome, you really are knowledgeable BigV. That DSA scheme looks like it could be very helpful to me, especially since I have zero concentration due to obsessional thoughts/self judgement etc (anxiety). Yep my access course sounds exactly like yours. I myself am already worried that when the course starts I will be one step behind a-level maths students, so I will definitely get some form of practice in during the summer. By the way BigV which uni are you at? Was it Manchester? Sorry BigV but could you provide me with the link you found of the modules they do in years 1-3 I couldn't find it, god I feel stupid. I was starting to doubt though because I can't really find any comments or reviews mentioning computer science at rhul. I guess it isn't that popular over there especially since I've heard from lots of ex students and current students that the male to female ratio is something around 30-70. One bad negative seems to be that the area is dead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
Wow awesome, you really are knowledgeable BigV. That DSA scheme looks like it could be very helpful to me, especially since I have zero concentration due to obsessional thoughts/self judgement etc (anxiety). Yep my access course sounds exactly like yours. I myself am already worried that when the course starts I will be one step behind a-level maths students, so I will definitely get some form of practice in during the summer. By the way BigV which uni are you at? Was it Manchester? Sorry BigV but could you provide me with the link you found of the modules they do in years 1-3 I couldn't find it, god I feel stupid.

I was starting to doubt though because I can't really find any comments or reviews mentioning computer science at rhul. I guess it isn't that popular over there especially since I've heard from lots of ex students and current students that the male to female ratio is something around 30-70. One bad negative seems to be that the area is dead.

Hi, no I'm at Loughborough..... male to female ratio for straight computer science is heavily weighted towards male at most universities I believe.
Sounds like DSA could be helpful for you, so do get the medical evidence in place and apply when the time comes; a few minor adjustments can really help you to relax and perform your best in exams and what not.

The two links I found with info on the RH course were both in PDF format for some reason:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/progspecs/computerscience/ug/programmespecification-computerscienceundergraduate.pdf

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/brochures/computerscienceug.pdf

There is also this link which gives details on some of the course modules/units:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/computerscience/prospectivestudents/undergraduate/departmentcourseunits.aspx

To be honest their website isn't the best, you have to kinda of go around in circles to find the info. I'm lead to believe that CS maths is not the same as A-level maths anyway, so everyone is learning new stuff, it is just a case of how much background knowledge is required. The course info they provide doesn't waffle on and on about maths like some universities do, so I would assume they teach from scratch and it isn't a massive component of the course. Looks like they really appreciate any programming experience though, so the Access course will serve you well in that respect.

Ultimately a good uni like RH wouldn't let you in if they didn't think you were capable (they are not a bums on seats institution). Also, unistats data shows progression from year one to year two at RH is high (i.e. very few drop outs) and student satisfaction is high, so that would suggest that the teaching is good.

To be honest I'm quite jealous as the course sounds great. My course is about 50% computing with 50% 'Information Science', the computing is good but the information science stuff is much more business / social science oriented than I had expected.

Just make sure you get your merits/distinctions required now. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I shudder to think what you are taught in Computer Science these days it has moved on so much. When I did A level we had to do Boolean Algebra, and construct various standard configurations for full adders, half adders and binary coded decimal adders from NOR and NAND gates, standard fetch execute cycle, and programming in machine code and BASIC. We also studied computational mathematics such as solving polynomials with the Newton-Raphson method etc.
Back then many Uni's did not recognise A level Computer Science so 4 of my offers only asked for grades in Maths and Physics, Exeter was the exception. But it was worth me swapping to it from Chemistry at the end of year one in 6th form (I loathed the chemistry teacher :smile: ) because of the 11 people who did A level maths at the failing school I attended I was the only one who passed, I did the computational mathematics question as one of the "big ones" in part 2 of the 2nd big paper, this had not been covered by the maths teacher (it is questionable whether this individual covered anything at all!) but I had done it in Computer Science. I also had the pleasure of physically holding a piece of ferrite core memory, I bet they dont teach that any more lol.

Anyway I did not go to Uni for financial reasons, and started work programming on an IBM mainframe that had just been upgraded to 3 megabytes central storage.........those were the days.......:smile: We were still submitted a few jobs with punch card input. As a programmer I had to book one hour at a time in the central pool of 6 VDUs for compiling and testing the first cut of a new programme was hand written on coding sheets and keyed to disk by the punch room ladies. Disk storage management was also fun we decided which cylinders on which packs to put particular files on for performance, there was no cache, so delay for rotational positional miss was a real concern. I still have my course notes from the 1 week course I did on that........sad but true.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BigV
Hi, no I'm at Loughborough..... male to female ratio for straight computer science is heavily weighted towards male at most universities I believe.
Sounds like DSA could be helpful for you, so do get the medical evidence in place and apply when the time comes; a few minor adjustments can really help you to relax and perform your best in exams and what not.

The two links I found with info on the RH course were both in PDF format for some reason:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/progspecs/computerscience/ug/programmespecification-computerscienceundergraduate.pdf

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/brochures/computerscienceug.pdf

There is also this link which gives details on some of the course modules/units:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/computerscience/prospectivestudents/undergraduate/departmentcourseunits.aspx

To be honest their website isn't the best, you have to kinda of go around in circles to find the info. I'm lead to believe that CS maths is not the same as A-level maths anyway, so everyone is learning new stuff, it is just a case of how much background knowledge is required. The course info they provide doesn't waffle on and on about maths like some universities do, so I would assume they teach from scratch and it isn't a massive component of the course. Looks like they really appreciate any programming experience though, so the Access course will serve you well in that respect.

Ultimately a good uni like RH wouldn't let you in if they didn't think you were capable (they are not a bums on seats institution). Also, unistats data shows progression from year one to year two at RH is high (i.e. very few drop outs) and student satisfaction is high, so that would suggest that the teaching is good.

To be honest I'm quite jealous as the course sounds great. My course is about 50% computing with 50% 'Information Science', the computing is good but the information science stuff is much more business / social science oriented than I had expected.

Just make sure you get your merits/distinctions required now. :wink:

Oh nice, Loughborough is lucky to have you. Will pursue the DSA scheme as I have at least a decade of evidence from my doctor so hopefully I won't like always be the one playing catch up in class. Thanks for those links and yes your right the subjects taught look really interesting so I'm quite happy with that. I am also led to believe that CS maths is not the same as what you are taught in a-level maths and a few university lecturers I've spoken to have also confirmed this. FOCUS NOW FOCUS, I can't go about screwing this one up otherwise I truly am useless. If I felt a university wasn't suited to me, is it possible to transfer to another university and not have to repeat the first year? So you didn't choose computer science? Are you still happy with your course? Now that you've had the chance to settle into Loughborough, how do you rate the university in general? Thanks V

Original post by evening sunrise
I shudder to think what you are taught in Computer Science these days it has moved on so much. When I did A level we had to do Boolean Algebra, and construct various standard configurations for full adders, half adders and binary coded decimal adders from NOR and NAND gates, standard fetch execute cycle, and programming in machine code and BASIC. We also studied computational mathematics such as solving polynomials with the Newton-Raphson method etc.
Back then many Uni's did not recognise A level Computer Science so 4 of my offers only asked for grades in Maths and Physics, Exeter was the exception. But it was worth me swapping to it from Chemistry at the end of year one in 6th form (I loathed the chemistry teacher :smile: ) because of the 11 people who did A level maths at the failing school I attended I was the only one who passed, I did the computational mathematics question as one of the "big ones" in part 2 of the 2nd big paper, this had not been covered by the maths teacher (it is questionable whether this individual covered anything at all!) but I had done it in Computer Science. I also had the pleasure of physically holding a piece of ferrite core memory, I bet they dont teach that any more lol.

Anyway I did not go to Uni for financial reasons, and started work programming on an IBM mainframe that had just been upgraded to 3 megabytes central storage.........those were the days.......:smile: We were still submitted a few jobs with punch card input. As a programmer I had to book one hour at a time in the central pool of 6 VDUs for compiling and testing the first cut of a new programme was hand written on coding sheets and keyed to disk by the punch room ladies. Disk storage management was also fun we decided which cylinders on which packs to put particular files on for performance, there was no cache, so delay for rotational positional miss was a real concern. I still have my course notes from the 1 week course I did on that........sad but true.

Hi ES, and thanks for the congratulations. What you studied sounds quite interesting and phenomenal. Haha @ 3megabytes, my first computer had 6.4gb of storage and 64mb ram. I always love hearing the 'old days'. Interestingly I've been doing the standard fetch execute cycle and machine code in the access course, not that I remember anything haha. Do you regret not going to university? Are you still considering going back? I highly doubt you need to with the years of experience you have. Do you still work at IBM? Yeah I also tend to keep my old notes sacred to me, its always fun to look back and see how you used to do things, it always lights my heart, I love memories. I'd love to take a few pointers from someone like yourself. By the way ES, it is you lot back in the days that had it harder, it is just getting easier and easier for us with all the technology and resources to help us through. Internet is truly a saviour, I can't even begin to imagine how much more difficult courses would've been without the world wide web.

By the way guys, I've just received an e-mail from Bath asking me to come for an interview. That'll be a 250 mile return trip. Should I go, will I really get an offer as most a-level offers they give out represent A*AA so I don't really know how I can compete with that. Anyone been interviewed at Bath for CS? Realistically what kind of offer can I expect to hear? 60 Distinctions? I'm going on the 22nd of February. I'm not gonna lie, I've always loved the sound of Bath and the university itself even if I haven't ever been there. God I am nervous as hell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi ES, and thanks for the congratulations. What you studied sounds quite interesting and phenomenal. Haha @ 3megabytes, my first computer had 6.4gb of storage and 64mb ram. I always love hearing the 'old days'. Interestingly I've been doing the standard fetch execute cycle and machine code in the access course, not that I remember anything haha. Do you regret not going to university? Are you still considering going back? I highly doubt you need to with the years of experience you have. Do you still work at IBM? Yeah I also tend to keep my old notes sacred to me, its always fun to look back and see how you used to do things, it always lights my heart, I love memories. I'd love to take a few pointers from someone like yourself. By the way ES, it is you lot back in the days that had it harder, it is just getting easier and easier for us with all the technology and resources to help us through. Internet is truly a saviour, I can't even begin to imagine how much more difficult courses would've been without the world wide web.

By the way guys, I've just received an e-mail from Bath asking me to come for an interview. That'll be a 250 mile return trip. Should I go, will I really get an offer as most a-level offers they give out represent A*AA so I don't really know how I can compete with that. Anyone been interviewed at Bath for CS? Realistically what kind of offer can I expect to hear? 60 Distinctions? I'm going on the 22nd of February. I'm not gonna lie, I've always loved the sound of Bath and the university itself even if I haven't ever been there. God I am nervous as hell.

Firstly congratualtions on the interview at Bath. I have been interviewed at Bath for Physics with Geophysics back in 1981, strange affair, the somewhat spherical professor's sausage dog escaped his grasp and legged it down stairs. Around 50% of my allotted interview time was spent chasing it between students legs and eventually retreiving it from two floors down, a task I would fail at today, but I was 17 then and as my parents had a sausage dog well experienced in retreiving the species. I was only asked one question, what is the half life of Uranium, I responded that it was some thousands of years but could say how many as I dont keep that kind of trivia in my head.......received an offer of B C (they also ignored Computer Science A level as it was so new.)

In my experience Universities are very sensible and do not ask you to interview unless you are a serious candidate for receiving an offer, this is especially true if large distances are involved. So whilst I do not want to pile any pressure on, I think the offer is there for you to loose rather than obtain. My wife was interviewed over the telephone to avoid a trip to Newcastle and she was told at the end she would receive an offer. I had 5 offers, but only two interviews, I was also told at the end of each that I would receive an offer. However, you need to check Bath's reputation for making "sensible" offers for Access students. An offer is of no value if it is unobtainable. If the interview goes well I think you will get a better (easier) offer than if it goes less well.

Regret not going, yes and no, had I gone I would not have met my wife at our first OU summer school (had our silver this year :smile: ) we tried to go full time in our mid 20s, but medication negated the pill and a family started unexpectedly. So everything was put on hold. I do not regret not doing the course I firmed and got the requirements for, I was young and daft and went for the longest course I could find in the UCAS (UCCA then) list which was.. BSc (Eng) Nuclear Reactor Science and Technology at Queen Mary College London Uni. The point is I never wanted to be an engineer........:colondollar:

Are we going .....oh yes we start in September my wife has accepted an unconditional offer for a 3 year BSc in environmental science at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, and I have accepted an unconditional for a 3 year BSc in Archaeology at the University of Durham.

I never worked for IBM I spent the first half of my 30 year career working in the in-house IT departments of 3 companies, and the second half for one of the largest IT/Management Consulting / Outsourcers in the world, where for the last 10 years I was an International Delvery Director ( I now loath airports). Recently finished my 3 month notice period...............Yabbba DAbbbbba Dooooooooooo!

If Bath's rep for sensible Access offers is sound then go for it, its a great Uni in a great part of the country.

All the best for Bath if you go, if not, good luck with the exams for the excellent offers you already have.
Reply 10
What a crazy tale about your Bath uni interview ES!! :biggrin: BSc (Eng) Nuclear Reactor Science and Technology eh? Crikey, I bet that was tough (although you didn't go?) Degrees were hard back then!! Of course many of the people doing a course like that today would be trying to get into investment banking!! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nitebot
What a crazy tale about your Bath uni interview ES!! :biggrin: BSc (Eng) Nuclear Reactor Science and Technology eh? Crikey, I bet that was tough (although you didn't go?) Degrees were hard back then!! Of course many of the people doing a course like that today would be trying to get into investment banking!! :biggrin:

"Of course many of the people doing a course like that today would be trying to get into investment banking!!"

My wife and I are in pain from laughing at that......

Was it hard? I dont know as I did not go. But my offer for that course was CC. A level offers have changed so much, I was offered CCC by Exeter for Geophysics with Engineering Geology, BC for Physics with Geophysics by bath and having delined to attend the interview I was offered EE by Essex University for Physics with Laser technology. Southampton rejected me because I chose my courses over the summer, then dropped Chem for Comp Sc at the start of year 2 and forgot A level Chem was mandatory for Geophysics with Oceanography and sent my application in with Southampton still on it. I hope my brain has improved with age........

Maybe my offers were lower than normal due to the school I went to, I was the only person to pass A level maths and A level physics out of 11 students doing each. 2 of us passed A level computer Science out of 6. Its past record was completely dire. In my year everyone else failed everything, except for English Literature which got 7 passes out of 12 students.

One remains philisophical, the financial constraints did me a favour as I would not have met my wife and had our 4 great kids, and IT has been reasonably good to me, but we are very hungry for Uni study. Our eldest graduated in Maths last summer and started a job in September as a software engineer for a company designing, buildng and implementing railway signaling systems. So we are kind of playing catch-up......
Reply 12
I too was an 80s university applicant. Can't remember all my offers (you have a good memory!) but they were too high so I ended up in a Poly doing Planning!! :biggrin: Getting into professions was relatively easy back then as long as you weren't too much of a weirdo. Some considered teaching and social work joke professions. Today it's super competitive for every profession. How things have changed!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending