Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry A F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Wed 23 May 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can anyone tell me if these points would get me 3 marks for rate of hydrolysis, for example for iodine;
    -idonie has the lowest bond enthalpy
    -therefore the weakest bond
    -so less energy is required to break bonds

Oh, and the procedure for rate of hydrolysis:
    Add AgN03, in a waterbathwith NaOh and time the reate of percipitation, i think..corect me if im wrong.

For a fair test:
    add equal amounts of halogen alkan
    add the same chain lenghted halogenalkane
    and use a water bath so it has constant temperate....am i right?

There's only a few weeks left so lets start asking each other questions. ))
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myda)
    Yeah I'm starting to see that now! Thanks for the advice.
    You mentioned msn/fb, I wouldn't mind doing it!
    My facebook is : adam cusirinzon and my msn is : adamcusirinzon@hotmail.co.uk...c ant get more simple than that lmao...send me a fb message tmos night when U wanna revise...we can use past paper questions
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thescientist17)
    Well for January 2012 it's 83/100 June 2011 was 76/100 though.

Message me your msn, haven't been on it for ages but I'll add you, could do with someone to test me/ help out!
    My facebook is : adam cusirinzon and my msn is : adamcusirinzon@hotmail.co.uk...c ant get more simple than that lmao...send me a fb message tmos night when U wanna revise...we can use past paper questions
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcusirinzon)
    Haha, simple is good
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSimmons)
    Only Alkenes can have E/Z isomerisation.

E is when groups are bonded to opposite sides of the double bond.
    Z is when they bond to the same side.

Any question on this make sure you say CARBON CARBON double bond that CANNOT ROTATE.

Hope this helps

... Also, does anyone know what kind of raw mark is needed for 100% UMS?

Thanks
    thank you soo much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i can't get to any of the jan 12 papers, help anyone?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Just wondering if all the fractions in fractional distillation need to be known (or known in order)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alotties)
    Hey
    Just wondering if all the fractions in fractional distillation need to be known (or known in order)?

I don't think you do because it's not in the specification?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebebuffay)
    I don't think you do because it's not in the specification?
    I didn't think you needed to either but some of my class are insisting we have to s:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you needed to either but some of my class are insisting we have to s:
    Ask your teacher to be sure otherwise you'd be learning uneccessary information
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebebuffay)
    Ask your teacher to be sure otherwise you'd be learning uneccessary information
    I most likely won't be seeing my teacher before the exam.
    I will try to catch him when I go in for exams but if he is teaching I won't be allowed.
    I will look at the specification again to check I think
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know what the boundaries are on average for 90% UMS / 100% UMS?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    These are some questions my teacher has emailed me, they're only for module 1 and 2 but thought they might be useful
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: rtf Alcohols, halogenoalkanes, analysis questions.rtf (1.47 MB, 767 views)
  2. File Type: rtf Alcohols, halogenoalkanes, analysis markscheme.rtf (718.8 KB, 75 views)
  3. File Type: rtf alkanes questions.rtf (400.5 KB, 936 views)
  4. File Type: rtf alkanes markscheme.rtf (336.0 KB, 93 views)
  5. File Type: rtf alkenes questions.rtf (606.3 KB, 1144 views)
  6. File Type: rtf alkenes markscheme.rtf (736.6 KB, 153 views)
  7. File Type: rtf spectroscopy questions.rtf (1,010.6 KB, 99 views)
  8. File Type: rtf spectroscopy answers.rtf (175.2 KB, 51 views)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    No, you do not need to know them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breezybabe05)
    No, you do not need to know them.
    Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcusirinzon)
    desperate for friends?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dellprinter)
    desperate for friends?
    are you the guy I ignored when you added me ? and no, just being nice and helping other people out...it's called being human, you should try it sometimes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofudge)
    From what I've found, this exam is very attention to detail.
    Make sure you state where your double bond is... make sure you cover every point in the statement, and learn your definitions! Every year at least two have come up. The definitions that you need to know are:

Enthalpy Change of Reaction: The number of moles of reactant as specified in the balanced equation react together.

Enthalpy Change of Combustion: The enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of compound COMBUSTS (NOT BURNS) completely with oxygen under standard conditions, all reactants and products being in their standard states.

The Enthalpy Change of Formation: The enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard state under standard conditions.

Radical- Species with an unpaired electron
    Electrophile- Electron pair acceptor
    Nucleophile- Electron Pair Donor
    Average Bond Enthalpy- The average enthalpy change that takes place when breaking by homolytic fission 1 mole of a given type of bond of a molecule of gaseous species.
    Activation Energy- The minimum energy needed for the reaction to start by the breaking of bonds.

Le Chatelieur Principle: The position of the equilibrium will shift to minimise the effect of any change in condition.

Functional Group- An atom/group of atoms responsible for the chemical properties of the compound and its reactions.

Homologous Series: Group of Organic Molecules with the same functional group and each successive member differing by CH2

Empirical Formula: The simplest whole number ratio of atoms of each element present in a compound.

General Formula: Simplest algebraic formula of a member of a homologous series.

Molecular Formula: The actual number of atoms of each element present in a compound

Structural Formula: Shows the minimal detail that shows the arrange of atoms in a molecule.

Displayed Formula: The relative positioning of the atoms and the bonds between them.

Skeletal Formula- Simplified organic formula shown by removing all the hydrogen atoms from alkyl chains, leaving just a carbon skeleton with associated functional groups.

Any More i've missed be sure to add them up good luck everyone

Nearlly all of you definitions are wrong... :confused:
    I corrected most of them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namod)
    Nearlly all of you definitions are wrong... :confused:
    I corrected most of them.
    I know, I thought the same..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Any ideas about what you think might come up in this paper.
    I personally think that those big questions that normally come towards the end of the paper where you have to analyse the i.r and mass spec and mr/empircal formuale and deduce the compound is going to come up, becuase it didnt come up in jan 2012.

what do you guys think?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.