Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to revise for this. Can't seem to get things stuck in my head
    Don't know how to revise for this Unit.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    NMR is annoying anyone got any good set of Q's for it whether it being past Q or just general ones I think thats what limits me most in this exam. Also how do you lot go about structuring your answers for an NMR question? (Proton NMR I'm talking about) And on that note anyone got any usual tips for helping with Carbon NMR I find that most difficult
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakymonkey)
    Yup. 57/60 for full marks (the equivalent paper in Physics is never more than 50 or so), and then 4 mark grade boundaries (49 for an A :O) down to 29/30 for an E. Ridiculous.

I blame this, not my total lack of preparation, for my C in jan :P
    Oh man, im bricking it for this exam .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got any useful NMR resources, i think practice is just required ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    has anyone got any useful NMR resources, i think practice is just required ?
    At the bottom of the first page to this thread, I've uploaded a booklet with past NMR questions (the download is in the link as the booklet is too large to directly upload)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by browb003)
    At the bottom of the first page to this thread, I've uploaded a booklet with past NMR questions (the download is in the link as the booklet is too large to directly upload)
    thanks pal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries where 4 marks in january. For the NMR question (I am resitting) in January I got the correct structure, drew it out, and gave it the correct name yet I still only got 8/10. So I lost 2 marks (half a grade) even when I got the correct answer, seriously WTF.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is resitting from Jan 12?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere)
    Grade boundaries where 4 marks in january. For the NMR question (I am resitting) in January I got the correct structure, drew it out, and gave it the correct name yet I still only got 8/10. So I lost 2 marks (half a grade) even when I got the correct answer, seriously WTF.
    I got 9/10 in that question and I got the paper back and I was sure that I did answer all the points:mad:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere)
    Bloody hell that is annoying! What grade did you get?
    • 78 followers

ReputationRep:
    how do you work out the relative peak area in NMR proton?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright)
    Bloody hell that is annoying! What grade did you get?
    I ended getting a low B (or high C just on borderline of B) I got my paper back and there were some instances where I was careless eg a chain would have 5 carbons and it asked something like acid hydrolysis, in my products I would have a chain of 2 and another chain of 2 carbons (the chemistry was correct but just careless drawing) cost me some marks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    I got 9/10 in that question and I got the paper back and I was sure that I did answer all the points:mad:
    Yea it stupid I think you should get all the marks if you get the correct structure as you obviously went through all the marking points to get there even if it isnt explicitly on your paper
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    NMR is annoying me so much! i pretty much find the rest okay its just a load of memorising but NMR is actually difficult to get a grasp of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what mechanisms and equations do we have to learn?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand NMR at all what so ever. I understand how it works but I have no idea how to decipher the structure from an NMR spectra :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by browb003)
    The safranol undergoes electrophilic addition, just like a normal alkene does. So the pi-bond of the double bond breaks, and the two bromine atoms join onto the two carbons involved in the double bond (so no hydrogens are lost).

This might help as it shows the reaction on a simple alkene (but identical principles) http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...ymbr2.html#top (you should notice that each carbon has the same number of hydrogens before and after the reaction)
    thanks does this mean that cyclic alkenes undergo electrophilic addition and arenes such as benzene undergo electrophilic substitution...is this why alkenes lose the double bond and the halogen is added and arenes just sub the hydrogen for the halogen

:rolleyes: i think i get it!!!!!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ummm I'm finding this quite difficult :/ It's A LOT of memorising to do and my brain is already saturated from F322 and F325 revision.. :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright)
    Ummm I'm finding this quite difficult :/ It's A LOT of memorising to do and my brain is already saturated from F322 and F325 revision.. :/
    SAME. Im just sitting here staring at a page lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hetty123)
    thanks does this mean that cyclic alkenes undergo electrophilic addition and arenes such as benzene undergo electrophilic substitution...is this why alkenes lose the double bond and the halogen is added and arenes just sub the hydrogen for the halogen

:rolleyes: i think i get it!!!!!
    Yeah that's correct

Arenes undergo electrophilic substitution rather than addition as substitution means that the delocalised ring of electrons is not permanently broken, and the delocalised ring makes benzene more stable so it would want to keep the delocalised ring

Substitution would permanently break the delocalised ring and so substitution is not energetically favourable for arenes

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.