Reply 220
Original post by otrivine
No you would do a precepitation reaction
but yes you seem to get the point
ok my turn

What's the kw value
Original post by kingam
What's the kw value

we are given that in the exam its the ionic produvt of water Kw=(h+)(oh-)
Reply 222
we are given that in the exam its the ionic produvt of water Kw=(h+)(oh-)

Yh it's 1 times 10 to the power of minus 14
Original post by kingam
Yh it's 1 times 10 to the power of minus 14

:wink: thanks
Define:bronsted browry acid
Reply 224
Original post by Killjoy-
All quantities must have the same prefix, so either all in kilo or all without kilo.

Thank you!
Reply 225
:wink: thanks
Define:bronsted browry acid

Proton donor , and it's Lowry :wink: I think that's how you spell it x
Original post by kingam
Proton donor , and it's Lowry :wink: I think that's how you spell it x

lol thanks i find the spelling hard :wink:
my turn
Reply 227
lol thanks i find the spelling hard :wink:
my turn

what a mono basic acid
Original post by kingam
what a mono basic acid

WHAT DO U MEAN BY MONO?sorry
Reply 229
WHAT DO U MEAN BY MONO?sorry

Its an acid containing only one replaceable hydrogen atom per molecule for eg HCL OR HNO3
Reply 230
Anyone got links to the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme, used to have it but can't find it and it got deleted on the Jan past paper thread here
Reply 231
Original post by atman7
Anyone got links to the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme, used to have it but can't find it and it got deleted on the Jan past paper thread here

It's here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1918089&page=6&p=37542315&highlight=jan%202012#post37542315
MS is further down the page.

Thank Cath-ay and maddy93x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 232
Does anyone know whether we have to know the details of the hydrogen oxygen fuel cells? Are we expected to remember the equations that take place at each electrode?

In the spec it says (j) explain that a fuel cell uses the energy from
the reaction of a fuel with oxygen to create a
voltage;
Original post by karo16
Does anyone know whether we have to know the details of the hydrogen oxygen fuel cells? Are we expected to remember the equations that take place at each electrode?

In the spec it says (j) explain that a fuel cell uses the energy from
the reaction of a fuel with oxygen to create a
voltage;

We are not "expected" to know the equations as far as the syllabus is concerned, but we are instead meant to be able to construct them when they give us pointers. My teacher told us to just remember the oxygen reduction half equation in both acidic and alkaline conditions, and then by using the overall "combustion" equation, deduce the other half equation.

Hope that made any sort of sense.
Reply 234
Do we have to know how to distinguish between square planar complexes and tetrahedral complexes?
First module done = mainly calculations I guess
Starting the rates module should have that and the half cell stuff done today, then finish off transition metals and the thermodynamics part by friday, then one week to do past papers!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by mathsclown
First module done = mainly calculations I guess
Starting the rates module should have that and the half cell stuff done today, then finish off transition metals and the thermodynamics part by friday, then one week to do past papers!!

I'm basically doing similar revision to you, and I hope to finish this week then concentrate on past papers next week :smile: damn this unit is hard...
Reply 237
For the thiosulfate/iodine and hydrogen peroxide titrations are we meant to memorise any equations?

Hi does anybody know how to do ratio buffer questions, similar to the jan 12 mock we did? those questions are so confusing, anybody know how to tackle such questions?
Reply 239
Original post by chemicalX
Hi does anybody know how to do ratio buffer questions, similar to the jan 12 mock we did? those questions are so confusing, anybody know how to tackle such questions?

You may want to use this equation:

pH=pKa+log[A][HA]\mathrm{pH}=\mathrm{pK_a} + \mathrm{log\frac{[A^{-}]}{[HA]}}

It is simply a logarithmic form of the Ka equation you are used to.

Remember [A]\mathrm{[A^{-}]} and [HA]\mathrm{[HA]} are the concentrations of conjugate base and undissociated acid at equilibrium.
So log[A][HA]\mathrm{log\frac{[A^{-}]}{[HA]}} represents the log to base 10 of conjugate base: acid ratio.

You need to find [A][HA]\frac{[A^{-}]}{[HA]} at equilibrium but in order to do this you need to find the pKa\mathrm{pK_a} value for the carbonic acid first.

1. The clue is to notice that you have been given the ratio at a particular pH, so this will enable you to find pKa\mathrm{pK_a} and use it to answer the question.

2. Once you have found pKa you sub it into the equation with the pH of blood the patient has and solve for the ratio.

I can't really type out all the working but I'll attach a picture:

Alternatively you may use the other form of the Ka equation, but that will involve more anti-logging I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending