Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewpeters)
    Anyone else resitting F214, that paper was awful! Even worse is that I don't have any UMS to fall back on from last year as I got an A exactly.
    so dude
    how did it go?
    get an offer?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so fresh)
    so dude
    how did it go?
    get an offer?
    No offers yet. I'm waiting on Brighton as my last resort, have been put on hold.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yukiko)
    Does anyone know if you have to learn about how the calcium ions allow muscle contraction for the sliding filament model??
    Yes. Calcium ions bind with troponin molecules, causing troponin and tropomyosin to move from normal position on actin filament therefore unblock binding sites / allow the exposure of binding sites for myosin heads to bind with actin - forming an actin-myosin crossbridge.
    Think that's all we need to know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No offers yet. I'm waiting on Brighton as my last resort, have been put on hold.
    best of luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vasu93)
    i was wondering what 'downstream process' means and what happen there?
    The term 'downstream process(es)' simply refers to what that occur in the next stage(s) of an industrial process.

I presume you are talking about the spread on industrial enzymes?

To make it clearer I will give you an example that is not related to enzymes:

Making a T-shirt

Material is dyed --> Material is cut --> Sleeves attached --> Logo is printed --> Labels attached --> Packaged.

the processes that are downstream of cutting the material are: --> Sleeves attached --> Logo is printed --> Labels attached --> Packaged.

Now apply the same principle to a process involving industrial use of enzymes.

Hope that helped (:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else resitting F214, that paper was awful! Even worse is that I don't have any UMS to fall back on from last year as I got an A exactly.
    tell me about it :/ thought it was easy during the exam..but then results showed something else ): resitting definitely
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    the past papers of this exam look scary ):
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Explain why the bacteria have carboxylase enzymes?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi F215 people!
    At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By8...U5EN2RDcmtBU2s

This includes questions for F211, F212, F214 and F215
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123)
    Explain why the bacteria have carboxylase enzymes?
    Anaerobic respiration
    I think maybe so they can convert ethanal back to pyruvate when oxygen becomes available. This pyruvate can enter the link reaction (joins acetyl CoA). Acetyl CoA enters Krebs cycle and NADH and FADH allows oxidative phosphorylation to take place, generating more ATP.

This maybe a synoptic question. I don't know if this is right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    Hi F215 people!
    At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

Please +ve rep if this has been helpful!
    Thanks a lot!

I was thinking maybe we could collectively come up with a big list of all the possible experiment questions that might come up in F215? So that none of us get caught out on some stupid "glass bead" type questions again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi F215 people!

cannot thank you enough - this is a fantastic resource!!! i've just downloaded all the files from f214 and f215! THANK YOU
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalaa)
    WOW! that exactly what i got! and im retaking F211 in june!
    Coincidences nowadaihs! I have not started F211 at all.... wbu?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi F215 people!

You are ahmazing!! :awesome: Thank you! +rep
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi F215 people!

This is amazing, what my teachers give me are only past exam questions from the new spec.

(Original post by CGB)
    Thanks a lot!

I was thinking maybe we could collectively come up with a big list of all the possible experiment questions that might come up in F215? So that none of us get caught out on some stupid "glass bead" type questions again
    I have already started a list on what came up and what hasn't came up in the F214 and F215 exams from the specification.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey I was just wondering how most of you are revising for this exam?
    For f214 I just made notes from the Ocr textbook and tried to memorise them and completely failed :/. But doing this 'technique' at As level i got C's (not amazing I know but I only need a C). But, I would like a B in this and f214 to hopefully take my overall grade upto a B with the hope I done well on my practicals.

so yeah.... and I have just started my notes for f215 recently, am I starting too late to achieve a grade B? But my notes for f214 are already done. Any help appreciated thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering in the OCR exams, for biology/chemistry is it possible to lose marks on questions if you mention wrong points despite mentioning all the correct points?

For example, a ordinary 3 marker - You mention all correct three points but then mention an extra point that may not correct. Would I be penalised for this and get 2/3 instead of 3/3? I ask this question because, I notice myself losing marks on questions whenever I add too many points, and feel like I may have added something which may not have been accurate.

I know that if it asks for three points, you are only allowed to give three points, but this is for general questions.

Also, is there some sort of way of contacting OCR as I have a few other questions about the specification, specifically about the 'synoptic questions' and the 'how science works' questions.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi F215 people!

Thats Great Thanks for sharing!!
    How come I can't download them as folders like folder one is Cellular Control?
    Do I have to download them one by one?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_Azizi)
    Was just wondering in the OCR exams, for biology/chemistry is it possible to lose marks on questions if you mention wrong points despite mentioning all the correct points?

For example, a ordinary 3 marker - You mention all correct three points but then mention an extra point that may not correct. Would I be penalised for this and get 2/3 instead of 3/3? I ask this question because, I notice myself losing marks on questions whenever I add too many points, and feel like I may have added something which may not have been accurate.

I know that if it asks for three points, you are only allowed to give three points, but this is for general questions.

Also, is there some sort of way of contacting OCR as I have a few other questions about the specification, specifically about the 'synoptic questions' and the 'how science works' questions.
    Yeh contact OCR and please let us know what they say!:rolleyes: the least is you get 10-12 reps !
    But I tell you that if you put a point where in MS says R (your answer) you lose a mark for it !
    say its in a table and you got to put only one word and you put two one of them is wrong you dont get the mark! I am talking from the past experience !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    Yeh contact OCR and please let us know what they say!:rolleyes: the least is you get 10-12 reps !
    But I tell you that if you put a point where in MS says R (your answer) you lose a mark for it !
    say its in a table and you got to put only one word and you put two one of them is wrong you dont get the mark! I am talking from the past experience !
    Only problem is, trying to get contact with them. People have told me they're really unresponsive.

Going to ring them now, to see what they say.

Edit: Rang them, they said they're not able to speak to candidates regarding how exams are marked. I'll need to get my teacher to ring in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.