Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkzz)
    Ok, i will give u a set of questions, however slow replies so i apologise in advance!!

1) Name three advantages of Immobilising enzymes (3 marks)
    2) What is a clone? (2 marks)
    3) Define vegetative propagation. (1 mark)
    4) Define hemizygous (2 marks)
    5) Why can't males inherit sex-linked conditions from their fathers? (2 marks)

10 marks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
    1) enzyme molecules do not mix freely with substrate so Purification costs are low
    The enzyme molecules are more stable as they are proteceted by the enzyme matrix and enzymes are available for reuse.
    2)its to produce genetically identical daughter cells and are same as their parent cells .mitosis
    3)Refers to the individual producing new structures and these grow to a new individual but they are genetically the same
    3)you mean homozygous right ?
    4) Because of different chromosomes X on the male, heterozygous alleles, different gene loci
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yes I remember that now, thanks!

And thats good! except for the prophase thing sparkzz already mentioned...and additional info, independent assortment also happens at metaphase II

Got a question for me ?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ds4143)
    Ohh yes I remember that now, thanks!

And thats good! except for the prophase thing sparkzz already mentioned...and additional info, independent assortment also happens at metaphase II

Got a question for me ?

thanks where did you go ? answer faster

ok
    Describe the process of electrophoresis (4)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    1) enzyme molecules do not mix freely with substrate so Purification costs are low
    The enzyme molecules are more stable as they are proteceted by the enzyme matrix and enzymes are available for reuse.
    2)its to produce genetically identical daughter cells and are same as their parent cells .mitosis
    3)Refers to the individual producing new structures and these grow to a new individual but they are genetically the same
    3)you mean homozygous right ?
    4) Because of different chromosomes X on the male, heterozygous alleles, different gene loci
    1) yes correct
    2) yes correct
    3) yes correct
    4) hemizygous is when one allele is responsible for the characteristic. check page 24.
    5) because the x chromosome is is inherited from the mother. therefore males only inherit the y chromosome from their father.

• 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) yes correct
    2) yes correct
    3) yes correct
    4) hemizygous is when one allele is responsible for the characteristic. check page 24.
    5) because the x chromosome is is inherited from the mother. therefore males only inherit the y chromosome from their father.

in my book page 24 is on F214?????????
    are u using a different book cause in the ocr does not mention !?
    more please
    ok let me give you some as well so did i get 7/10 ?
    1)Suggest Name 2 ways to treat sickle cell and what amino acid is replaced (3)
    2)what do you understand by the term Restriction enzyme (1)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Inexpensive as separation of the enzyme-substrate complex from the mixture is not needed. The enzyme becomes much more stable, therefore reducing the chances of it becoming denatured. Also it can be reused

2. An organism that is genetically identical to the organism that has been used to produce the clone. For example Binary fission, bacteria cells dividing asexually producing clones.

3. Is when a structure is taken from another organism and used to grow into another individual organism. -genetically identical to parent cells.

4. Hemizygous...Im not sure is it something to do with having one allele and not the other :/?

5. Because males ummm im not sure lol

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate this paper. This is the one paper that's gonna decide whether I'll be going to university. Does anyone have a inkling to what topics may come up by looking at past papers? I heard that everything on the spec has to be covered over 3 years of exams?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can post any material besides past papers and answers please
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks where did you go ? answer faster

ok
    Describe the process of electrophoresis (4)
    Sorry! I didnt realise you replied
    Okay umm DNA is mixed with restriction enzymes which cut them into bits. It is also mixed with radioactive markers.
    The sample are placed into wells at the negative side of the gel.
    Gel with samples inside wells is place in a solution and an electric current is passed through.
    Because dna is negatively charged it moves towards the positive electrode. The different lengths of dna samples moves at different speeds...shorter ones travel faster than longer ones.
    The radioactive markers help us see where the dna samples has reached.

• 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry! I didnt realise you replied
    Okay umm DNA is mixed with restriction enzymes which cut them into bits. It is also mixed with radioactive markers.
    The sample are placed into wells at the negative side of the gel.
    Gel with samples inside wells is place in a solution and an electric current is passed through.
    Because dna is negatively charged it moves towards the positive electrode. The different lengths of dna samples moves at different speeds...shorter ones travel faster than longer ones.
    The radioactive markers help us see where the dna samples has reached.

yep yep 4/4
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie.lou)
    You need to know that the H zone gets shorter, as do the I bands. the Z lines pull towards each other. Then you just need to know the role of ATP (the ratchet mechanism) and role of calcium ions (to attach to troponin which moves trypomyosin). That's obviously shortened but they're the main things I think
    Thank you!! Appreciate it
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    yep yep 4/4
    Woo, okay
    Name the different parts of the lac operon (3) and what each of them do (3)

• 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woo, okay
    Name the different parts of the lac operon (3) and what each of them do (3)

do you mean the binding sites?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you mean the binding sites?
    Nope, well binding site is a part of it, but there are 3 specific named parts of the lac operon that do different things.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    in my book page 24 is on F214?????????
    are u using a different book cause in the ocr does not mention !?
    more please
    ok let me give you some as well so did i get 7/10 ?
    1)Suggest Name 2 ways to treat sickle cell and what amino acid is replaced (3)
    2)what do you understand by the term Restriction enzyme (1)
    Sorry page 124.

• 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, well binding site is a part of it, but there are 3 specific named parts of the lac operon that do different things.

do you mean Z X Y?
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry page 124.

oh yes thanks i will revise that page again can you give me more question
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you mean Z X Y?
    Lol sorry im not wording the question right. Im talking about the parts if the operon...the structural region, promoter region and the operator region

• 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry im not wording the question right. Im talking about the parts if the operon...the structural region, promoter region and the operator region

oh sorry
    the functions for promoter region is to bind with RNA polymerase to allow transcription of enzyme B galactosidase and lactose permisrase
    Operator region is where the repressor protein binds
    Strucutral region is the switiching of genes on or off
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry
    the functions for promoter region is to bind with RNA polymerase to allow transcription of enzyme B galactosidase and lactose permisrase
    Operator region is where the repressor protein binds
    Strucutral region is the switiching of genes on or off

The promoter region is correct, but the other two are slightly wrong ...

Structural gene - codes for enzymes, b-galactosidase and lactose permease
    Operator region - switches the structural genes on or off.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.