The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
so is it acceptable or not ?

Yes, if you're answering a single mark question and No, if it's a higher marked.

:smile:
Original post by CollateralElement
Guys, ask me questions! :smile:

hey how are you :smile:
what is the process of spitting eggs(3)
ask me as well
hey how are you :smile:
what is the process of spitting eggs(3)
ask me as well

HELLO! Just got home! Knackered. How's you?

:redface: Meiosis ... Telophase?

And hmm...

Explain PCR. :smile: Or are you still doing chapters?
HELLO! Just got home! Knackered. How's you?

:redface: Meiosis ... Telophase?

And hmm...

Explain PCR. :smile: Or are you still doing chapters?

doing that tomorrow but did everything before PCR ! i will finish the whole book by friday next week which will leave me 1 week finishing past papers :wink:

no splitting is talking about the cow e.t.c ? not meiosis
doing that tomorrow but did everything before PCR ! i will finish the whole book by friday next week which will leave me 1 week finishing past papers :wink:

no splitting is talking about the cow e.t.c ? not meiosis

No... I don't know what you're on about :/ Heh. Wow. And cool. Congratz. Sounds like a super organized plan.
No... I don't know what you're on about :/ Heh. Wow. And cool. Congratz. Sounds like a super organized plan.

yes i will be sooo happy finishing it lool
no splitting embryo ? its on where you collect sperms from the male cow and ovum from female and in vitro fertilisation happens?
yes i will be sooo happy finishing it lool
no splitting embryo ? its on where you collect sperms from the male cow and ovum from female and in vitro fertilisation happens?

Oh!! Right! In Vitro fertilization. I doubt we'll be asked about that but thanks for reminding me..

Hmm.

Your turn!
Oh!! Right! In Vitro fertilization. I doubt we'll be asked about that but thanks for reminding me..

Hmm.

Your turn!

now you ask me :wink: :biggrin: my turn
Reply 1028
I HAVE A SUGGESTION:

I THINK INSTEAD OF ASKING EACH OTHER THE STANDARD QUESTIONS THAT INVOLVE REGURGITATING FROM PAST PAPERS OR THE TEXT BOOK, I FEEL WE SHOULD ASK EACH OTHER SYNOPTIC QUESTIONS THAT HAVEN'T YET CAME UP YET AS THIS CAN OFTEN BE OVERLOOKED, AFTER ALL IT IS 20% OF F215 (P.S. SORRY FOR WRITING IN CAPITALS)

ok, ill start off with a relatively easy one just to get things started, what happens when a plant wilts (3 marks)

Reply 1029
Guys, ask me questions! :smile:

Would you like questions on everything in unit 5? Or specific chapters?

Explain the sequence of events in apoptosis :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
now you ask me :wink: :biggrin: my turn

No way! you asked about the invitro and then i asked about pcr! >:smile: ok. OK. Hmmm...

Which topic?
Original post by ds4143
Would you like questions on everything in unit 5? Or specific chapters?

Explain the sequence of events in apoptosis :smile:

EVERYTHING and anything. :smile:) Please?
Reply 1032
EVERYTHING and anything. :smile:) Please?

There I gave ya one in my last comment :biggrin:

Explain the sequence of events in apoptosis.

Oh btw are you doing f214?

Original post by ds4143
There I gave ya one in my last comment :biggrin:

Explain the sequence of events in apoptosis.

Oh btw are you doing f214?

Yup. I'm retaking. I got a C. Few marks off a B. Wish I didn't bother :/ How's your F214 going?

Apoptosis. Programmed cell death.
The cell releases particular chemicals that breaks down the interior organelles and substances inside the cells' nucleus and the cell itself. The cell then shrinks and as it continues to break down, it is engulfed by phagocytes.

..I actually don't know the answer. :/ Well. I can't remember all.
Original post by kimmey
I HAVE A SUGGESTION:

I THINK INSTEAD OF ASKING EACH OTHER THE STANDARD QUESTIONS THAT INVOLVE REGURGITATING FROM PAST PAPERS OR THE TEXT BOOK, I FEEL WE SHOULD ASK EACH OTHER SYNOPTIC QUESTIONS THAT HAVEN'T YET CAME UP YET AS THIS CAN OFTEN BE OVERLOOKED, AFTER ALL IT IS 20% OF F215 (P.S. SORRY FOR WRITING IN CAPITALS)

ok, ill start off with a relatively easy one just to get things started, what happens when a plant wilts (3 marks)

Good idea :smile:. Too much water leaves the plant cells by osmosis down a water potential gradient. The plant looses it turgor pressure.

F215 spec point, "State that cyclic AMP activates proteins by altering their three-dimensional structure". So question, cAMP is a second messenger so what does a second messenger do? And explain cAMP's role as a second messenger in the action of adrenaline.

Another two questions. The hormone adreno-corticotropic hormone (ACTH) released from the pituatary gland stimulates the release of corticosteroid hormones. Where specifically in the adrenal glands are the corticosteroid hormones like mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids released from and what is their function of mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids.
Original post by CGB
Can anyone explain the species concept stuff to me? I've read the spread on pages 142-143 loads of times but it's just not going in. None of it makes any sense to me. :frown:

You need to know the two different concepts on how to define species. First is the biological species concept which states ," species are a group of similar organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring and are reproductively isolated from other such groups" . The phylogenetic species concept states, "species are any group of organisms that have the same embryology, physiology, behaviour and morphology. They share the same ecological niche". Learn the two definitions.

Problem with the biological species concept is that it excludes the organisms that dont reproduce sexually or the organisms that dont look alike. Back to the phylogentic species concept, any group of organims with haplotypes (haplotypes are a combination of alleles that are inherited together) that are similar are called a clade. It assumes that the group all come from one descendant, the word for that is monophyletic.

The difference between the cladistic approach and the taxonomic classification (Kingdom, phylum..etc) is that there is no distinction between living and dead species, all are included in the cladograms (a cladogram is a diagram that shows the relationship between the organsims, like you start with aancester and it shows you the descendants of that ancester). Cladistic approach looks at the DNA of the species and also looks at the evolotionary relationship between the species rather than just similarities. Hope that helped and please do correct me if I made a mistake :smile:
Reply 1036
Original post by sumsum123
Good idea :smile:. Too much water leaves the plant cells by osmosis down a water potential gradient. The plant looses it turgor pressure.

F215 spec point, "State that cyclic AMP activates proteins by altering their three-dimensional structure". So question, cAMP is a second messenger so what does a second messenger do? And explain cAMP's role as a second messenger in the action of adrenaline.

Another two questions. The hormone adreno-corticotropic hormone (ACTH) released from the pituatary gland stimulates the release of corticosteroid hormones. Where specifically in the adrenal glands are the corticosteroid hormones like mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids released from and what is their function of mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids.

yeh you're on the right track, talk about if the rate of transpiration exceeds the rate of water loss then the plant wilts. it does this by releasing absiscic acid which is a stress hormone that closes stomata and therefore reduces transpiration and the plant wilts :smile:

a secondary messenger is on the inside of the plasma membrane and in the case of cAMP, when the hormone binds to the plasma membrane receptor ATP is converted to cAMP by adenyl cyclase. cAMP can then trigger a series of enzymic reactions within the cell. this happens because the primary messenger (eg adrenaline) cant pass into the cell because its an amino acid derivative.

i think corticosteroid hormones are produced by the adrenal cortex, i cant quite remember their function though haha
Original post by kimmey
yeh you're on the right track, talk about if the rate of transpiration exceeds the rate of water loss then the plant wilts. it does this by releasing absiscic acid which is a stress hormone that closes stomata and therefore reduces transpiration and the plant wilts :smile:

a secondary messenger is on the inside of the plasma membrane and in the case of cAMP, when the hormone binds to the plasma membrane receptor ATP is converted to cAMP by adenyl cyclase. cAMP can then trigger a series of enzymic reactions within the cell. this happens because the primary messenger (eg adrenaline) cant pass into the cell because its an amino acid derivative.

i think corticosteroid hormones are produced by the adrenal cortex, i cant quite remember their function though haha

Is transpiration not the water loss of from the aerial parts of the plants? So if the stomata is closed, it would reduce the amount of water lost. So the plant would wilt if the rate of transpiration exceeds the rate of water uptake?

That is correct, could add it is an amino acid derivative so cant pass through the phospholipid bilayer because it is not fat soluble.

Thats correct :smile:. The function of mineralocorticoids is to control salt and water balances and the function of glucocorticoids is to control fat, carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
Original post by sumsum123
You need to know the two different concepts on how to define species. First is the biological species concept which states ," species are a group of similar organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring and are reproductively isolated from other such groups" . The phylogenetic species concept states, "species are any group of organisms that have the same embryology, physiology, behaviour and morphology. They share the same ecological niche". Learn the two definitions.

Problem with the biological species concept is that it excludes the organisms that dont reproduce sexually or the organisms that dont look alike. Back to the phylogentic species concept, any group of organims with haplotypes (haplotypes are a combination of alleles that are inherited together) that are similar are called a clade. It assumes that the group all come from one descendant, the word for that is monophyletic.

The difference between the cladistic approach and the taxonomic classification (Kingdom, phylum..etc) is that there is no distinction between living and dead species, all are included in the cladograms (a cladogram is a diagram that shows the relationship between the organsims, like you start with aancester and it shows you the descendants of that ancester). Cladistic approach looks at the DNA of the species and also looks at the evolotionary relationship between the species rather than just similarities. Hope that helped and please do correct me if I made a mistake :smile:

^
I thought that was the biological sense of the word species? I get really confused with this two and my textbooks and my teachers are just awful at explaining the difference. I was always under the impression that the biological concept of a species is 'Organisms that have similar anatomy and physiology and can also interbreed to produce fertile offspring.' and that the phylogenetic concept was that organisms that share common recent ancestors were species :/

One of my textbooks also says that the cladistics method is different from the Linnaen method because it focuses on evolutionary history rather than similarities....but I thought the Linnaen system looked at evolutionary history and then classified organisms into genus, order, etc by how closely related they were? :/

Also what is the difference between a clade and a monophyletic group?

Original post by katie.lou
You need to know that the H zone gets shorter, as do the I bands. the Z lines pull towards each other. Then you just need to know the role of ATP (the ratchet mechanism) and role of calcium ions (to attach to troponin which moves trypomyosin). That's obviously shortened but they're the main things I think :smile:

^
How accurate does our naming of the 'bands' have to be? Because in one of my textbooks, the H band is called the H zone and in another it's called the H band?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
I thought that was the biological sense of the word species? I get really confused with this two and my textbooks and my teachers are just awful at explaining the difference. I was always under the impression that the biological concept of a species is 'Organisms that have similar anatomy and physiology and can also interbreed to produce fertile offspring.' and that the phylogenetic concept was that organisms that share common recent ancestors were species :/

One of my textbooks also says that the cladistics method is different from the Linnaen method because it focuses on evolutionary history rather than similarities....but I thought the Linnaen system looked at evolutionary history and then classified organisms into genus, order, etc by how closely related they were? :/

I am going by the definitions in the textbook, did not get taught it in lesson. In the textbook it says that the biologicial species concept is a group of similar organisms that can interbreed and produce fertileoffspring and are reproductively isolated from other such groups. And the definition for phylogenetic is the one I wrote up there. I think what it means is in the Linnaean system, the organisms are classed into their group because of their similarities rather than placing them in a group because of the thing that caused the similarity- their ancester.

A great example I have in my notes that I found online is basically birds are accepted to be descended from dinosaurs. In the Linnaean system, birds are put in the class Aves whilst the dinosaur are put in the class reptillia. Under the claudistic system, the bird and the dinosaur would not be in different groups because the bird descended from the dinosaur- it looks at the evolutionary relationship, so the bird and the dinosaur are in the same clade.

Hope that helps. Correct me if I am wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending