The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by sumsum123
Is transpiration not the water loss of from the aerial parts of the plants? So if the stomata is closed, it would reduce the amount of water lost. So the plant would wilt if the rate of transpiration exceeds the rate of water uptake?

That is correct, could add it is an amino acid derivative so cant pass through the phospholipid bilayer because it is not fat soluble.

Thats correct :smile:. The function of mineralocorticoids is to control salt and water balances and the function of glucocorticoids is to control fat, carbohydrate and protein metabolism.

yeh sorry i meant water uptake you're correct :smile:
Reply 1041
Original post by dizzeedollee

How accurate does our naming of the 'bands' have to be? Because in one of my textbooks, the H band is called the H zone and in another it's called the H band?

its best to call it the H zone
Reply 1042
Original post by CollateralElement
Yup. I'm retaking. I got a C. Few marks off a B. Wish I didn't bother :/ How's your F214 going?

Apoptosis. Programmed cell death.
The cell releases particular chemicals that breaks down the interior organelles and substances inside the cells' nucleus and the cell itself. The cell then shrinks and as it continues to break down, it is engulfed by phagocytes.

..I actually don't know the answer. :/ Well. I can't remember all.

Sorry late reply..fell asleep lol
Your answer is pretty decent. The first part defining apoptosis is good, and yu did mention that the cell breaks down, but I think a few keys words will lose you a few marks ...you know what the mark scheme is like XD!

Heres a more key wordy kinda answer :smile:
Apoptosis, higly controlled programme cell death. Cell releases internal enzymes that begins to break the cytoskeleton into bits, then the cell itself begins to form small fragments called blebs. Then it further broken down into vesicles are taken up my phagocytosis so that it does not damage neigbouring cells. The whole process happens quickly.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Original post by ds4143
Sorry late reply..fell asleep lol
Your answer is pretty decent. The first part defining apoptosis is good, and yu did mention that the cell breaks down, but I think a few keys words will lose you a few marks ...you know what the mark scheme is like XD!

Heres a more key wordy kinda answer :smile:
Apoptosis, higly controlled programme cell death. Cell releases internal enzymes that begins to break the cytoskeleton into bits, then the cell itself begins to form small fragments called blebs. Then it further broken down into vesicles are taken up my phagocytosis so that it does not damage neigbouring cells. The whole process happens quickly.

hi mate shall we continue you start :wink:
Reply 1044
Original post by otrivine
hi mate shall we continue you start :wink:

Helloo :smile: yup give me 10mins im munching my breakfast :d

And what chapter would you like it on? Still up to immobilised enzynes, or have you gotten further?

Original post by ds4143
Helloo :smile: yup give me 10mins im munching my breakfast :d

And what chapter would you like it on? Still up to immobilised enzynes, or have you gotten further?

still upto immobilised finishing the rest tomorrow
and as well for unit 4 from chapter 1 and some from chapter 2(first four pages)
and enjoy your breakfast what are you having?
Reply 1046
still upto immobilised finishing the rest tomorrow
and as well for unit 4 from chapter 1 and some from chapter 2(first four pages)
and enjoy your breakfast what are you having?

Ooh okay, finished my breakfast now, had coco pops mixed with rice crispies..im such a kid LOL.

Questionn time.. um

What are the advantages (3) and disadvantages (1) of asexual reproduction?

Original post by ds4143
Ooh okay, finished my breakfast now, had coco pops mixed with rice crispies..im such a kid LOL.

Questionn time.. um

What are the advantages (3) and disadvantages (1) of asexual reproduction?

oh i have that i have toast with nutella and nesquick loooool
ok
3 advantages- has same genetic information which enables to give a specific characterisitc, reproduction can still continue even if sexual reproduction fails, it is much quicker
disadavatage is that there is no/little genetic variation
Reply 1048
oh i have that i have toast with nutella and nesquick loooool
ok
3 advantages- has same genetic information which enables to give a specific characterisitc, reproduction can still continue even if sexual reproduction fails, it is much quicker
disadavatage is that there is no/little genetic variation

Nice nice, 3/4 one mark lost because the first advantage you mentioned is not right. The other advantage is that all offsprings has the genetic information required to survive in that environment. But other than that welll done :biggrin:

Original post by ds4143
Nice nice, 3/4 one mark lost because the first advantage you mentioned is not right. The other advantage is that all offsprings has the genetic information required to survive in that environment. But other than that welll done :biggrin:

yes that is what i meant? has same genetic information has a specific feature which enables it to survive? or did i lose a mark cause i did not say survive?
Reply 1050
yes that is what i meant? has same genetic information has a specific feature which enables it to survive? or did i lose a mark cause i did not say survive?

Ohh sorry, looking back at your answer I see what you meant, but I still would say you lost that mark because you did not mention survival

Original post by ds4143
Ohh sorry, looking back at your answer I see what you meant, but I still would say you lost that mark because you did not mention survival

snap :frown:
ok
Ill give you 1 question then are you here in 2 hours time?

ok
state 2 reasons why DNA probes are used(2)
Reply 1052
Original post by ds4143

Mmmm i havnt had nutella for agesss! I went to look for some just now LOL aint got any...share some! Thanks XD

Reply 1053
snap :frown:
ok
Ill give you 1 question then are you here in 2 hours time?

ok
state 2 reasons why DNA probes are used(2)

Yupp I will be. DNA probes? Ahh umm, im not too sure but.. DNA probes are attached with markers to identify certain DNA sequences. For disease or a gene needed for genetic engineering?

Reply 1054
Can someone tell me the meaning of allopatric please?

Thanks in advance!

Original post by ds4143
Yupp I will be. DNA probes? Ahh umm, im not too sure but.. DNA probes are attached with markers to identify certain DNA sequences. For disease or a gene needed for genetic engineering?

I AM BACK :wink: yes close u get one mark for the engineering part and say helps to identify the allele missing which causes the disease
Original post by ds4143
Can someone tell me the meaning of allopatric please?

Thanks in advance!

does allopatric mean the geographical separation of two individuals prevents them from interbreeding and is a reproductive barrier
Reply 1057
I AM BACK :wink: yes close u get one mark for the engineering part and say helps to identify the allele missing which causes the disease

Oohh okay thanks :biggrin:! Am suprised i even got that one mark, complete guess!

Okay okay your turn!

Define monophyletic.

Original post by ds4143
Oohh okay thanks :biggrin:! Am suprised i even got that one mark, complete guess!

Okay okay your turn!

Define monophyletic.

have no idea in which chapter is this ?
Reply 1059
does allopatric mean the geographical separation of two individuals prevents them from interbreeding and is a reproductive barrier

Thats sounds about right, there was an exam question about it and allopatric was the answer. I just wanted to be sure on the definition thank youuuuu :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending