The Student Room Group

Durham or Sheffield for MSc in bioarchaeology?

Hello all;

I'm a Canadian student trying to gauge the situation for archaeology programs in the UK. I'm fortunate enough to have been accepted by Durham for MSc Palaeopathology (more disease-based theory) and Sheffield for MSc Human Osteology and Funerary Archaeology (more hands-on anatomy and archaeology).

I understand the differences in the locations themselves, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the reputations of the programs, departments and universities? Over here in Canada, to have a UK degree is substantial enough - I want to know how the UK/EU feels about it.

Otherwise, any advice is very welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Both are really good universities. Can't help with reputation of the departments. The courses sound different though so I would go with the one that interests you more. Also, have a look at the kind of research both departments do and how your interests fit with them.

You said that in Canada a UK degree is substantial enough-substantial enough for what may I ask?
Reply 2
Hi and welcome.

While I haven't attended either of these universities, I have friends at both (particularly Durham). Both are quality institutions, so congratulations for being accepted. While I can't comment much about the course/departments, I can say something about the universities as a whole I think.

Durham without doubt has a rather better reputation on the world stage. It rides off its traditional image a bit, but it still a great university, particularly for anything related to language, classics, history. (And bioarchaeology surely has some connection to history as a field). In general, some analogies may be drawn to the lower Ivy Leagues in the USA.

As far as the cities go, well... Sheffield is actually a city. An old industrial town, and arguably not the prettiest, though I hear the Sheffield campus itself is decent. Durham is ancient cathedral city, much is actually much smaller. It's a bit like Cambridge; the place only exists because of the University really! It's naturally quite remote; the nearest large city being Newcastle (a train journey away). It is however a quaint and pretty city in various respects, so if you like this over the grey city atmosphere, it could play a factor. There's a lot more to do in Sheffield, if you're a townie.

Which course do you prefer? Fundamentally, it's a three-way balance between how much you'll enjoy the course, how much you'll enjoy being at that university, and the reputation of the university/course itself.

Good luck deciding, and feel free to ask any further questions!
Reply 3
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Alleycat393: I simply meant that the majority of Canadians in university tend to stay within Canada, and generally go no farther abroad than the USA. Universities here are usually impressed with anyone who goes off to the UK/Europe for higher education, particularly postgraduate. Thus, it is substantial enough an achievement to impress Canadian institutions and with any luck consequently get better employment or funding. With regards to my particular field, it seems that the more respected archaeology programs in the English speaking world are in the UK -- not to mention, my area of interest centres around Europe, so it only makes sense!

Noldorin: Thanks - I'm quite pleased with the situation in which I find myself. It is fair to say that Durham has an excellent reputation for archaeology (typically ranked about 3rd in the UK, after Oxbridge... but that doesn't take into account bioarchaeology as a niche, for which Durham and Sheffield seem to reign.) Poking around Google Maps Street View, I can see how "grey" is the active word. I've never been a townie, so maybe Durham's shaping up as the best bet. Thanks for the help!
Reply 4
Original post by caligulina
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Alleycat393: I simply meant that the majority of Canadians in university tend to stay within Canada, and generally go no farther abroad than the USA. Universities here are usually impressed with anyone who goes off to the UK/Europe for higher education, particularly postgraduate. Thus, it is substantial enough an achievement to impress Canadian institutions and with any luck consequently get better employment or funding. With regards to my particular field, it seems that the more respected archaeology programs in the English speaking world are in the UK -- not to mention, my area of interest centres around Europe, so it only makes sense!

Noldorin: Thanks - I'm quite pleased with the situation in which I find myself. It is fair to say that Durham has an excellent reputation for archaeology (typically ranked about 3rd in the UK, after Oxbridge... but that doesn't take into account bioarchaeology as a niche, for which Durham and Sheffield seem to reign.) Poking around Google Maps Street View, I can see how "grey" is the active word. I've never been a townie, so maybe Durham's shaping up as the best bet. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, ideally you'd have a tour around both universities/campuses and see how you like them... unfortunately that's not really practical/cost-effective if you're a Canadian! Yay for Google maps at least. :-)

If all other things are the same, I'd definitely say choose Durham. Its a traditional institution and very reputable; even if Sheffield is highly ranked for your particular field, its name doesn't carry the same weight. Canadians will likely give much respect to a good degree from an old university from the motherland, as you say!

Oh, just make sure you don't get stuck in the dodgy halls. I did an open application for undergrad and got put in Josephine Butler halls, miles out. Fortunately Durham were only my 2nd or 3rd choice for the subject anyway, so I could happily reject them.

Let us know what you choose in the end, but you good luck either way. Note you'll probably have advantages accommodation-wise if you reply soonish.
Reply 5
Original post by Noldorin

Oh, just make sure you don't get stuck in the dodgy halls. I did an open application for undergrad and got put in Josephine Butler halls, miles out. Fortunately Durham were only my 2nd or 3rd choice for the subject anyway, so I could happily reject them.

Let us know what you choose in the end, but you good luck either way. Note you'll probably have advantages accommodation-wise if you reply soonish.

Yeah - getting stuck on the Hill isn't a concern for me, I suppose. The all-postgraduate Ustinov College might be in the sticks, but it's close to the Science Site where I'll be taking my lessons. Also, as a Canadian I find my sense of distance and scale is a little different from people in the UK - I'm used to having to trek long distances to do anything (currently take what I consider to be a short 25 minute bus to my campus in Canada). But I am a little intrigued by the idea of belonging to a college but not necessarily living there. We shall see...

Definitely going to sit on this, and act as if I have sealed my decision for a few days to get comfy with it, then let them know of my decision. Scary business, this!
Reply 6
Yeah - getting stuck on the Hill isn't a concern for me, I suppose. The all-postgraduate Ustinov College might be in the sticks, but it's close to the Science Site where I'll be taking my lessons. Also, as a Canadian I find my sense of distance and scale is a little different from people in the UK - I'm used to having to trek long distances to do anything (currently take what I consider to be a short 25 minute bus to my campus in Canada). But I am a little intrigued by the idea of belonging to a college but not necessarily living there. We shall see...

Definitely going to sit on this, and act as if I have sealed my decision for a few days to get comfy with it, then let them know of my decision. Scary business, this!

Yep, sounds like a fair plan. One never wants to rush into these things.

Don't base your university choice on college, for sure. The older more central colleges are traditionally nicer and more conveniently located, but if there's another near the archaeology place, then that could work too.

I know, your short distances are like leagues for us! Crazy.

Enjoy the luxury of actually having a choice of university while you do! I'm going to be amazed if I get one heh. You're clearly conscientious, so I'm sure you'll choose correctly in the end.
Reply 7
Enjoy the luxury of actually having a choice of university while you do! I'm going to be amazed if I get one heh. You're clearly conscientious, so I'm sure you'll choose correctly in the end.

That's why I hung back in Canada an extra year, doing a MA degree here, before applying abroad for a BSc. I think it's a matter of being strategic. And don't sell yourself short - just stay positive! You never know how academia will surprise you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
That's why I hung back in Canada an extra year, doing a MA degree here, before applying abroad for a BSc. I think it's a matter of being strategic. And don't sell yourself short - just stay positive! You never know how academia will surprise you.

Heh I try, but my grades are very mediocre, so not optimistic.

You're doing a second bachelors abroad then, eh? Interesting. I have a few friend who want(ed) to do that.
Reply 9
Oop. I'm sleepy. I mistyped that. I meant, MSc.

I would never, ever do another Bachelors again - it would serve no point, as I'm far enough along in the academic game that I can pretty much wheedle into whichever thing suits me (within reason.)
Reply 10
Hehe makes more sense. There are some who enjoy it though - the eternal student thing! But yeah, one has to be able to afford it, even if one wants to (and I don't either).

Bah, wish I had the comfort of knowing already!
Reply 11
I like the eternal student thing - next year will be my 6th year in higher education. I just wouldn't ever want to run with the undergraduates again - I've moved on. :smile: I only have the comfort of knowing right now because I'm a postgrad and an international student - they rush us through the gates typically.

Your time will come! And quickly! Canadian students waiting on university offers can typically only start applying in January of the year of entry, and then they only start hearing usually in late February, early March. So sit tight!
Reply 12
I like the eternal student thing - next year will be my 6th year in higher education. I just wouldn't ever want to run with the undergraduates again - I've moved on. :smile: I only have the comfort of knowing right now because I'm a postgrad and an international student - they rush us through the gates typically.

Your time will come! And quickly! Canadian students waiting on university offers can typically only start applying in January of the year of entry, and then they only start hearing usually in late February, early March. So sit tight!

Heh, long indeed! Except when I consider medic friends who may be in as long as 9 or 10. Ouch.

So I suppose this will be your 2nd Masters then? Not bad.

And yeah, I'm holding tight here... It sounds like Canadian universities are a little more efficient than US ones eh.
Reply 13

Durham! i'm a little biased... but as i'll be doing sciences there, i've visited and i think it's great.

one of the biggest differences, really, is the size.
durham = tiny
sheffield = big.

also, durham colleges are a lot different to being in halls.

the size issue kind of decided for me.
Reply 14
Durham definitely has a much better reputation, not only is Durham a really good university, the Archaeology department is exceptional and has some amazing members of staff in it! Ustinov isn't that far from the department, maybe a 10-15 min walk. Plus there are lots of colleges to choose from and all take postgrads so don't feel like Ustinov is the only option for you. I'm a postgrad in Castle and my department is also on Palace Green so i know i've got everything really close together (although I don't live in) but most people have a short walk between college and department. The hill colleges are probably more convenient for you if you're in Archaeology but it's not that much further to The Bailey. If you decide to go for Durham, just choose the college that loots like it suits you best.
Reply 15
I've decided on Durham! Sent my deposit (I'm so poor now...) today, accepted yesterday. It's all so exciting! I've had some positive experiences with postgrad so far, so I'm sure this'll go swimmingly.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!
Reply 16
I've decided on Durham! Sent my deposit (I'm so poor now...) today, accepted yesterday. It's all so exciting! I've had some positive experiences with postgrad so far, so I'm sure this'll go swimmingly.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

No problem. I'm sure it will go well, especially as a 2nd (?) masters.

And you you use words like "swimmingly", you're already in the posh club. :-P
Reply 17
Yes - it'll be my second. I'm indecisive about my life direction, it seems.

I'm hardly posh - I'm Canadian, so I'm doomed by my accent to sound like a bad television program from the US. Haha. :P I just think those words are funny to use.
Reply 18
Yes - it'll be my second. I'm indecisive about my life direction, it seems.

I'm hardly posh - I'm Canadian, so I'm doomed by my accent to sound like a bad television program from the US. Haha. :P I just think those words are funny to use.

Yeah, I do but tease you. It's just not a commonly used word, even here, among any class! But yeah, I think the only reason anyone uses it is because it's amusing. :-)

I wouldn't say your indecisive about your life... it's probably a combination of a) you enjoy education/higher learning, b) you like university life, c) you're still looking for your passion! Personally I've felt all of these things in applying for my first masters heh.
Reply 19
Yeah, I do but tease you. It's just not a commonly used word, even here, among any class! But yeah, I think the only reason anyone uses it is because it's amusing. :-)

I wouldn't say your indecisive about your life... it's probably a combination of a) you enjoy education/higher learning, b) you like university life, c) you're still looking for your passion! Personally I've felt all of these things in applying for my first masters heh.

It's true, it's true. Education is the best. :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending