The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nix-j-c

However they can't actually say bad things about you per se. BUT it's often what they don't say that effects your application. If they don't mention your attendance or punctuality or how hard you work then it's obvious that they're not your strongets points . . .

This.

It's actually illegal (according to my dad who is boss of an IT company) to give a bad reference and often universities and employers discern a person's character through the omission of certain qualities from a reference, i.e. punctuality, conscientiousness etc.
Original post by v2p
It depends who writes your reference, and how much of an a** they are. I too am like you and have trouble getting to school on time :tongue: The head of sixth form warned us all that our attendances would be put down on our UCAS application, trying to scare everyone into coming in on time every day, but it didn't really work. But yeah my reference was written by the head of sixth form himself, he gave me a fantastic reference (as I got to read it) and didn't mention a thing about my punctuality, attendance, lateness etc. I'm not sure if theres another section on UCAS to put details about your attendance other than on the reference, but even if there was, none of my unis seemed to care and I got all my offers.

Oh also, its affect not effect :tongue:

My bad, those are the two words which I can never get right... :/

Thank you for replying guys and gals!!
Once again I arrived to school late today - even after forcing myself to awaken 45 minutes earlier than usual, and I still arrive to school at the exact same late time.

Has anybody got any tips on getting to school on time, I just seem really tired every morning and have a 20 minutes walk everyday...

Deano. =] :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Deank

Has anybody got any tips on getting to school on time, I just seem really tired every morning and have a 20 minutes walk everyday...

I wish I could tell you some tips, but I am terrible myself. Today I arrived at 9:30... My economics teacher said to me (in a friendly nice way) that I have a being late syndrome and if I don't get rid of it soon I'll always be late for the rest of my life!
I'm always late. Apparently I've accumulated 58 lates this half term alone, and I have four offers so far. So yeah, I don't believe it makes a difference- just Sixth form scaremongering, a bit like when they tried to make SATs seem important in year 9 :tongue:

You'll be fine!
Original post by Nix-j-c
However they can't actually say bad things about you per se.

Yes they can.

Original post by GirlGerms.
It's actually illegal (according to my dad who is boss of an IT company) to give a bad reference and often universities and employers discern a person's character through the omission of certain qualities from a reference, i.e. punctuality, conscientiousness etc.

No, it's saying untrue things on a reference that isn't allowed. Though no doubt in some cases this has the effect of people not saying bad things so as to avoid the risk of being sued.
Original post by Deank
Hey,
I'm currently in year 12 and started sixth form in September moving to a different sixth form which had Drama and Music courses running. I am a high achiever, but there is one thing that is worrying me, and that is the fact that almost everyday since September, I have been late to school. :frown:

Today, I was late again, and a teacher told me, "All these late's aren't going to look good on your UCAS". This got me thinking. My attendance is pretty much top notch for every lesson slipping a little bit on a couple of days when I was really ill. Will being late really effect my UCAS application?

I'm predicted A's and B's and I'm hoping to apply to Drama Schools. Would they take interest in late marks, or only be worried about attendance?

I hope somebody can put my mind at rest - I sure am going to buck my ideas up and get up early no matter what after half-term :tongue:

Attendance doesn't get put down on your UCAS form. However, if it's terrible, the person writing your reference may mention it, so make sure it doesn't get too bad, and it's for legit reasons. Not really anything to concern yourself with though.
a) Schools & colleges want you to get into higher ed. It makes them look good.
b) Even if that guy thinks it looks good in a reference, which he shouldn't, then it should be weeded out when the headmaster checks it.
Reply 27
You need to get good grades, and one way to do this is to go to lessons. If you can work on your own when you're not in lessons then your attendance won't matter, but many people find that they struggle. You may also find that your teachers will be more helpful (for example, if you want extra help) if they like you, and generally that happens when you attend lessons.
Reply 28

This.

BTW, your dad is wrong
Original post by Juno
BTW, your dad is wrong

Maybe it doesn't apply for UCAS, but he knows what he's talking about with regards to employing people.
Reply 30

Maybe it doesn't apply for UCAS, but he knows what he's talking about with regards to employing people.

Nah, it doesn't apply there either.
My attendance was rubbish (below 50% for one lesson), I didn't get any rejections, I wouldn't worry about it.
Iv heard that unis dont actually look at attendance as your are paying for your own education therefore missing out on lessons is your loss of education and your own money. Whilst school and college are more firm because its free.

Latest

Trending

Trending