The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As far as I know, I don't think universities have any way of checking your attendance. The only way they would find out, I think, is if your referee told them - but I don't they'd do that! And besides, your application is already sent off so it's probably not a problem.
Reply 2
Unless part of your conditions of your offer is to get a certain level of attendance then what are you worrying about? Even if they did check, which they wont, what are they going to do about it?
Reply 3
They won't generally have time to background check each application they receive. Only reason why they might is if attendance was part of their offer condition (which I highly doubt) and if your referee decides to email them to amend his/her reference.
Reply 4
I was just being a worrywart, but thanks for letting me know :smile:
Hey,
I'm currently in year 12 and started sixth form in September moving to a different sixth form which had Drama and Music courses running. I am a high achiever, but there is one thing that is worrying me, and that is the fact that almost everyday since September, I have been late to school. :frown:

Today, I was late again, and a teacher told me, "All these late's aren't going to look good on your UCAS". This got me thinking. My attendance is pretty much top notch for every lesson slipping a little bit on a couple of days when I was really ill. Will being late really effect my UCAS application?

I'm predicted A's and B's and I'm hoping to apply to Drama Schools. Would they take interest in late marks, or only be worried about attendance?

I hope somebody can put my mind at rest - I sure am going to buck my ideas up and get up early no matter what after half-term :tongue:
Reply 6
If the said teacher is one who will be doing your references then I'm sorry that he's gonna to put that in your UCAS application. It is now time to get your crap together and arrive early everyday.
Unless you have a teacher who doesn't want to you to get into Drama School it won't matter
So, my 'lateness' consistently since September isn't going to affect my applications if I change my ways now??

=D
My attendance was like 75% last year, and is like 85% this year, but I got I got five conditional offers and no rejections :biggrin: I think it's just whether your teachers write you a good reference.
Reply 10
no, this guy sounds like a douche
I just want to know if I should be worried :P

Where are your offers from?
Reply 12
I believe attendance and probably punctuality is something references mention in their comments . . . if they know about them.

(This next bit goes for jobs as well as UCAS.)

However they can't actually say bad things about you per se. BUT it's often what they don't say that effects your application. If they don't mention your attendance or punctuality or how hard you work then it's obvious that they're not your strongets points . . .
Sheffield University, Lincoln, Leeds, and Leeds Met and Manchester Met. To be fair last year I was ill which is why my attendance was low, and I think they took that into consideration when writing their references. By all means attend lessons, but missing the odd one here and there won't do you any harm. Especially if you're good at making excuses and get your teacher to like you :biggrin:
I would absolutely not worry about it. Basically the references to UCAS and attendance are just scare mongering by your sixth form to try and improve their statistics -.- I know, I only had about 68% attendance or something, but I was accepted by all the universities I applied to on the basis of my achieved grades.
Original post by TEEJUS
no, this guy sounds like a douche

I am in no way, shape or form a "douche". Which is evident as I got five offers and no rejections..... :cool:
Reply 16
BUT if you've had time off due to serious illness etc then it may be good for your reference to mention it. If it was something that forced you to be off sick and you still got quite good grades and generally good reports about effort, it's reasonable to assume that if you didn't have that time off, you'd do better. Which might be something unis consider. Especially if it's something that's stopped so you won't have anymore time off with it, meaning you won't miss lectures due to it.
Reply 17
It depends who writes your reference, and how much of an a** they are. I too am like you and have trouble getting to school on time :tongue: The head of sixth form warned us all that our attendances would be put down on our UCAS application, trying to scare everyone into coming in on time every day, but it didn't really work. But yeah my reference was written by the head of sixth form himself, he gave me a fantastic reference (as I got to read it) and didn't mention a thing about my punctuality, attendance, lateness etc. I'm not sure if theres another section on UCAS to put details about your attendance other than on the reference, but even if there was, none of my unis seemed to care and I got all my offers.

Oh also, its affect not effect :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Connor_Phillips
I am in no way, shape or form a "douche". Which is evident as I got five offers and no rejections..... :cool:

I meant the bloke who said that his application would be jeopardised by turning up late to a lesson. Not You:biggrin:

I didn't even quote you... why did you assume the post was about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TEEJUS
I meant the bloke who said that his application would be jeopardised by turning up late to a lesson. Not You:biggrin:

I didn't even quote you... why did you assume the post was about you?

Because it followed my comment so I assumed you meant me :/

Latest

Trending

Trending