The Student Room Group

Can i claim student finance without a national insurance number?!

questions in the title really but i never got sent a NI card when i turned 16 and i was just on the site applying for a student loan when it asked me for the number which evidently i dont have ... can i proceed without it or do i need to find out how to get one ASAP?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Nope, they need to deduct your loan from your NI/future earnings.
Reply 2
You need to speak to the job centre. I vaguely remember having to take down some ID to show them, was told it then and was given a form to fill in to send off for a new one.
Reply 3
You can proceed without it and the application will be processed just like normal; but you can't be actually paid any money until you give them the number and they've verified it.

You should call the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0845 915 7006 if you're between 16 and 20 and haven't recieved your NI number.
Reply 4
Original post by heidigirl

Original post by heidigirl
You can proceed without it and the application will be processed just like normal; but you can't be actually paid any money until you give them the number and they've verified it.

You should call the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0845 915 7006 if you're between 16 and 20 and haven't recieved your NI number.

thank you i just gave them a ring and a man, albeit rather rude, said hed send me the the forms in the post :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending