The Student Room Group

fizzy drink hurt mouth

I don't tend to drink fizzy drinks often and when I do it's usually a small amount with a lot of something else ie 1 part lemonade 3 parts orange juice (with maybe a splash of alcohol).

And thats because coke/lemondade/anything i've tried that's fizzy hurts my mouth!!!!!!!!

Because of the feeling of it, I thought it was the acidity of the drink. BUT fruit juices are equally or nearly as acidic (I think) AND it does feel as bad if the drink is flat. Which makes me think it's somehow the actuall fizziness :confused:

Does anyone know how or why this happends, or does it happen to you?

It makes anywhere it touches in my mouth/ the start of my throat sore, (rather sore but not unbarable) but goes away almost as soon as I swallow it! Noone else I've asked gets this.

Some people have sensitive skin (I don't) but perhaps some people have sensitive tissue on the inside of their mouths, which is irriatated by fizzy drinks ???? I don't recall having the same sensation with anything that isn't fizzy.
You're probably just sensitive to the carbonated liquid.

Just drink water!
Reply 2
Or other drinks . . . or have them mixed, as that doesn't hurt.

I wasn't asking to be told what to drink i was asking why it happens and if anyone else has this happen to them.
Reply 3
Whats the point in negging, its obvious who it was :sigh:

Hannah didn't answer my question . . .
It wasn't me actually. and I did say "You're probably just sensitive to the carbonated liquid".
Reply 5
You didn't know for sure and it was something i already mentioned in my OP but not something you could actually confirm or deny. You then told me to jsut drink water when I clearly said that other drinks aswell as fizzy drinks mixed don't hurt my mouth . .us
(edited 12 years ago)
"you're probably".
Don't ask stupid questions. Go to the doctor or something.
Reply 7
It seems a bit trivial to go to the doctors about, it's not as if it causes me agony, especially when a stranger can tell me to just drink water . . . .
Well then why start a thread about it?!
Reply 9
Original post by hannahhaworth
Well then why start a thread about it?!

Original post by Clare~Bear

Does anyone know how or why this happends, or does it happen to you?

Some people have sensitive skin (I don't) but perhaps some people have sensitive tissue on the inside of their mouths, which is irriatated by fizzy drinks ???? I don't recall having the same sensation with anything that isn't fizzy.

There you go :smile:
Reply 10
You really expect anyone to be able to accurately say WHY something is happening in YOUR body over the internet? You're a tool.
Reply 11
Original post by ljay09
You really expect anyone to be able to accurately say WHY something is happening in YOUR body over the internet? You're a tool.

Like I said, I asked if anyone else has this happen to them.

If they do then they could know why it happens, instead of guessing.
It's clearly because your mouth/throat is sensitive to carbonation, as I said. That's also why it doesn't happen when you mix fizzy drinks with flat ones.
Lol at this thread.
lol
A combination of things will cause this. If your taking medication either prescription or other you might be more sensitive than when your not taking any meds. Also the carbonation process 'sharpens' the liquids, the molecular activity is potent and in effect it's almost like carbonating your saliva when you drink. Most people will experience this as a slight tingling sensation, heightened sensitivity will produce more of a sting.

Quick Reply

Latest