The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegenius31416
No difference at all? Idential buildings?

Lee, Baird, Ewing, Turner and Grant are all built at the same time. The rooms, bathrooms, pantries etc are all the same size and layout. They've all been refurbished at slightly different times, so some are slightly 'newer' than others. But they really are the same.

Holland is the oldest residence in Pollock, but the rooms are fairly good and are ensuite.

Chancellor's Court is the biggest, with really decent rooms and ensuite.

John Burnett House is the newest and the smallest. The rooms are lovely. But also expensive.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 281
I have an unconditional to start undergrad in september, looking at halls now.

I liked the look of Warrender, but notice its 'mainly for postgraduates', does that mean there's little/no undergrad flats? How does it work exactly?
Original post by zenb
I have an unconditional to start undergrad in september, looking at halls now.

I liked the look of Warrender, but notice its 'mainly for postgraduates', does that mean there's little/no undergrad flats? How does it work exactly?

Don't know. It's been postgrad only for the last couple of years. Before that it was undergrads only for several years, but had had postgrads in it before that. If it's really important to you, I would get in touch with Allocations and ask.
Reply 283
Is there somebody who could tell me a bit about South Bridge/Nicolson Street and Robertson's Close? I'd like to know if there are cosy, or you just feel "trapped" with windows looking onto inner courts (if any).
(n.b. it's merely my imagination, so no offence :tongue: )
Original post by Supportive mum
My apologies! I see what you're getting at. To be honest, if she were to have to go to her insurance university, I'd much prefer it to be Edinburgh and not Durham. The course is much better and the city has so much more to offer.

A number of the Durham colleges make people share for at least some time of their degree. All of my friends who went to Durham had to share for at least a term and it was very common meaning in so far as sharing goes it could happen at either university. It doesn't mean it will, it just means it could. Furthermore a lot of universities opt for the shared rooms policy when they have generous accommodation guarantees for insurance students as there isn't anything more they can do. If they are generous and say they will guarantee everyone a bed then they can't magic up loads more rooms in August out of the blue - they have to make do with what they have and yes, it could mean that some students have to share if they want a room in university accommodation. The alternative is finding out on results day that you're going to your insurance university and there isn't an accommodation guarantee so therefore you've got about 2-3 weeks in which to find somewhere to rent privately. I know which one I would have preferred aged 18, and my parents would also have probably preferred that I was guaranteed a room somewhere in the university accommodation rather than having to find somewhere to rent on my own, particularly given Scottish universities start term two weeks after the A level results day.
Original post by star9005
Is there somebody who could tell me a bit about South Bridge/Nicolson Street and Robertson's Close? I'd like to know if there are cosy, or you just feel "trapped" with windows looking onto inner courts (if any).
(n.b. it's merely my imagination, so no offence :tongue: )

I lived in Robertson's Close, not quite sure what you mean by trapped - one way it looks onto the Cowgate/side roads, the other a car park.
Changed my mind and going for a single room though. Not en suite though.
Reply 287
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Changed my mind and going for a single room though. Not en suite though.

Too bad for me they don't have en-suite for self catered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amrudysm
Too bad for me they don't have en-suite for self catered.

F*** paying the extra for en suite. That money can go on an 8 month supply of alcohol.
How many choices do first year undergrads get to make? Do we need to rank them in order of preference? :smile:
Reply 290
Original post by railjunkie159
How many choices do first year undergrads get to make? Do we need to rank them in order of preference? :smile:

Three, and yes you rank them in order of preference.
Just to confirm to anyone who's in a similar position: If you want to redo your application/choices, you CAN submit another application which supersedes it. I emailed Allocations and they confirmed that yes, it is true. :biggrin:

So I have changed to:

1. Darroch Court
2. New Arthur Place
3. Robertson's Close

A bit different from my original choices :tongue:
Hi, could someone please help me? I have to apply for accommodation as soon as possible but I don't know where to go. I will be applying for a catared hall, but the virtual tours on the website don't work, so could someone please inform me on which is best? I know the food isn't great, but room-wise, socially... which of the pollock halls is best?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Γ±ajΓ±aj
Hi, could someone please help me? I have to apply for accommodation as soon as possible but I don't know where to go. I will be applying for a catared hall, but the virtual tours on the website don't work, so could someone please inform me on which is best? I know the food isn't great, but room-wise, socially... which of the pollock halls is best?
Thank you :smile:

Please read the other posts in this thread. We're here to help you but we've got better things to do than repeat things that have been discussed multiple times already, particularly when your exact question has already been answered on this page. If you then have questions then go ahead and ask them.

Original post by AlGreen
To anyone that has lived in halls before, when did you find out where you were going to be staying? I know applications close in August but when did you actually hear back from them and how long before your course started were you allowed to move in? Does everyone show up about the same time to move in or does this vary from place to place?

Thanks!

You generally find out right at the end of August and into the first week of September (if you have a conditional offer which is dependent on August results) so around a week to a fortnight before you arrive in Edinburgh. If you have an unconditional then they start making offers to these people in July sort of time. If there are problems (as there have been in some application cycles) then some students arrive in Edinburgh with no knowledge of where they will be staying. They're then directed to an info point and given the details then - this happened the year I went to Edinburgh although fortunately I found out where I had been placed a couple of days before I arrived. Your accommodation offer will be sent via email (I think you also get something on your EUCLID tab telling you that you have an offer) then there is a time limit on accepting the offer. I think its about a week. If you fail to accept and pay the deposit then your place will be reallocated to someone else.

Everyone moves in on the Saturday and Sunday at the start of freshers week. Most people arrived on the Saturday but some came on the Sunday. You're allowed to arrive later than then (so during freshers week) but you'd need to let accommodation and also your academic school know that you're coming late, but you can't have your room earlier than the Saturday of move in weekend.
Reply 294
Hi! I have an offer for Illustration in the art school and am trying to pick three options for my application -
I'm looking at the Cowgate area atm, as it seems quite close-ish to the art building (just down the road, I think?)
So atm I'm thinking Darroch, College Wynd, Robertson's Close or Kincaid's Court. But I need to cut one off the list...
I can't find many images of College Wynd or Robertson though - google streetview only shows me the back end :tongue:
Are there any images of the exterior/interior anywhere?

Is anyone else looking at the university accommodation but studying in eca? :smile:
Hey Guys,

I hope someone can spare a few minutes and help me. I just accepted an unconditional offer from the Univ. of Edinburgh for Postgraduate research program. I am an international non-EU student, and I am guaranteed accommodation. However, I am having a hard time choosing between Beaverbank and Richmond Place

Does anyone know if one of them is preferable ? I certainly like to be around postgraduates, thats why I am leaning towards Richmond Place, but Beaverbank does seem like a cool place. Any ideas ?
me ! haha
im going to eca and applied for edinburgh uni halls last week :smile:
i went in to edinburgh and sort of done the walk from the college to a couple of the options, i basically cut it down to cheapest and closest.
i ended up putting down :
1. robertsons close
2. warrander park creasant
3. college wynd
they're all about a fifteen minute walk and seemed fine from the outside haha

was just wondering if anyone knew how likely it is that you get any of your choices?
Hi folks,

I've firmed my offer to read medicine from Edinburgh, conditional on me passing the PVG. Should I apply for accommodation now because I noticed when registering that it said "Is your offer of a place of study Unconditional and Firm(UF)?" What's the difference between choosing yes or no to this question? I'm assuming I should tick 'no' but should I apply now or should I wait? Will they automatically update my application to unconditional once I've sent in my PVG form?
Reply 298
Original post by SirMuffin
Hi folks,

I've firmed my offer to read medicine from Edinburgh, conditional on me passing the PVG. Should I apply for accommodation now because I noticed when registering that it said "Is your offer of a place of study Unconditional and Firm(UF)?" What's the difference between choosing yes or no to this question? I'm assuming I should tick 'no' but should I apply now or should I wait? Will they automatically update my application to unconditional once I've sent in my PVG form?

You should click no. As soon as you have an unconditional offer you will be offered a place. Their system will update automatically once you send your PVG form.

Original post by chloe-elizabeth
me ! haha
im going to eca and applied for edinburgh uni halls last week :smile:
i went in to edinburgh and sort of done the walk from the college to a couple of the options, i basically cut it down to cheapest and closest.
i ended up putting down :
1. robertsons close
2. warrander park creasant
3. college wynd
they're all about a fifteen minute walk and seemed fine from the outside haha

was just wondering if anyone knew how likely it is that you get any of your choices?

I don't think you have a good chance of getting a room in warrander park creasant as it is open to both postgraduates and undergraduates (but I applied there too, as it the location seems really good!). I don't know how likely you are to get any of your choices, but my friend got her third one (nicolson street) so there is still hope! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by he3
I don't think you have a good chance of getting a room in warrander park creasant as it is open to both postgraduates and undergraduates (but I applied there too, as it the location seems really good!). I don't know how likely you are to get any of your choices, but my friend got her third one (nicolson street) so there is still hope! :biggrin:

arghhh i swear it was mainly open to undergraduates before i applied :frown:
that sucks, do you know if i can change my choices? seems like a bit of a waste now.
thanks for help!

Quick Reply

Latest