The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Hello. I have accepted an offer for postgraduate study for 2013/14 and am hoping to get some insight on family student housing. My husband and two children will be coming for the year and we are considering private vs. university housing. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has lived in the university family housing - what is it like? Are there many options, or are all the family housing options in one complex? It is more affordable than private, but trying to weigh whether smaller/not as nicely furnished but cheaper is better than bigger/nicely furnished private options for more money. Thanks for any replies!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Sorry wrong thread!
Hi there! I recently firmed Edinburgh and how I need some help with picking accommodation. So here are some questions...
1.) Is the allocation on first come, first served basis?
2.) Does anybody know if international students get prioritized? (I currently live in Sweden!)
3.) What is the best self-catered accommodation?! Haha I've been looking all over and have had such a hard time choosing. My current favorites are Darroch Court and Hermit's Croft. Tips? :smile:

Thanks in advance!
Reply 903
Original post by blablabla1234
Hi there! I recently firmed Edinburgh and how I need some help with picking accommodation. So here are some questions...
1.) Is the allocation on first come, first served basis?
2.) Does anybody know if international students get prioritized? (I currently live in Sweden!)
3.) What is the best self-catered accommodation?! Haha I've been looking all over and have had such a hard time choosing. My current favorites are Darroch Court and Hermit's Croft. Tips? :smile:

Thanks in advance!

1&2) No - I don't think so at least. You don't receive an offer of accommodation until your offer becomes 'Unconditional Firm'
3) I think most self catered accommodation is pretty much like-for-like. I lived in Darroch Court for first year and it's pretty nice, and it's very big. The biggest self-catered accommodations are Darroch, Kincaids and then possibly Sciennes/Meadow Court. It depends what you are looking for of course, and where in Edinburgh you want to live.
Reply 904
Original post by AlGreen
I'm in Darroch not Pollock sorry, so do you reckon it's not worth trying to find a space nearby on friday night, I don't know the area, thanks.

Hi - I was in Darroch in first year and don't worry about parking to move stuff in, you will have enough time to park your car and move stuff into your flat by doing a couple of journeys from your car to the flat. However, you will not be able to park all day, but to move stuff in it shouldn't be a concern :smile:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Laundry is washing machines and dryers at all sites. They're coin operated. However, I wouldn't bother looking at Blackfriars - it's not a residence for first year undergraduates.

Cowgate is safe. It's bloody noisy though - I certainly wouldn't choose to live there!

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/ug-self-catered-accommodation/blackfriars-street

it says there though that it is for 1st year undergraduates, I know your post was over a year old, have they changed it then? :s-smilie: kinda confused if I should apply there
Might be a stupid question, but are we allowed to use fairy lights in the university accommodation? I couldn't find anything about it in my contract, but you never know (and I guess they'd have to comply with fire safety regulations, right?)
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is staying in David Horn House :smile:??
Reply 908
Hey everyone, this is actually the thread from last year - you want to post in the Accommodation Thread for entry in 2013/14, which is a sticky at the top of the Edinburgh Uni page.

Quick Reply

Latest