The Student Room Group

Can you recommend any of these driving instructors/schools?

I'm thinking of using the following ones: Still haven't decided yet.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samc12

I am currently learning with Red. Brilliant. My instructor is very positive and helpful. That reminds, i need to find my Hazard perception CD hehe
All my instructors were with the AA and they were all pretty good :yep:
Original post by Samc12

Why those particular driving schools? Certainly the first two appear to offer really good deals but when you delve a bit deeper they are perhaps not as good as they seem. You need to read the small print.

A fair instructor at a cheap school will almost certainly cost more in the long run than an outstanding instructor at a more expensive school . So you need to read between the lines.

Most driving instructors are independent of the schools they work for as they are simply franchisees. The important thing is to find a good instructor, not necessarily a good school! The best way to do that is to get recommendations from friends and family...

I hope that helps.
I've heard a lot of bad things about Red Driving school, but great things about AA
Reply 5
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
All my instructors were with the AA and they were all pretty good :yep:

Didn't you say on another post that you have had 2/3 instructors, one of which was a b******d? Correct me if i'm wrong!

I have a private instructor but my aunt learnt through AA and it took her 50+ lessons, I'm not sure whether that was her being stupid or the other way around..

I've heard pretty good reviews about Bill Plant though :smile:
Original post by cmoore094
Didn't you say on another post that you have had 2/3 instructors, one of which was a b******d? Correct me if i'm wrong!

I have a private instructor but my aunt learnt through AA and it took her 50+ lessons, I'm not sure whether that was her being stupid or the other way around..

I've heard pretty good reviews about Bill Plant though :smile:

I did have 3 instructors, but I don't think I've called any of them a bastard :o:. My first one, let's just say he wasn't as good at putting me at ease as my 2nd instructor was (I had terrible nerves when I first started learning), but he was still OK and at least taught me the basics.

Why does someone having 50+ lessons make them stupid? That's only a little over average, and some people are a bit slow at learning because that's just how they are. I know someone who is very intelligent with a Master's degree in a science subject, but it took him over 100 lessons to pass his driving test. Everyone just has different skillsets and talents.
I would certainly avoid AA and BSM from what ive heard, these are only ones local to my city though.
As someone above said, forget going by company ask people you know are pretty competent or passed first time or whatever and ask them who they went with. The instructors can vary within a company massively.
Reply 8
2 of my friends are with the AA. One passed after 8 months of driving, another has been driving 7 and has her test soon. Both say they're very good- they had the same instructor!
Reply 9
I would seriously not recommend the AA. I had 19 lessons with my instructor and I had never passed traffic lights, been on a main road or a 'real' round about. I leant hardly anything. The repetition of each lesson meant I actually never moved over all the minor mistakes beginners should be able to overcome within the first 5 lessons.

My lessons mainly consisted of HIM driving, not me, so even at 19 lessons I STILL couldn't break correctly, take off correctly, turn corners and T junctions. Basically everything.

My instructor told me the reason for the slow place of lessons was that this was the 'safe way to learn'. However, it is of course not, he only wanted to drag out of me as much money as possible.

I should also add that this slow pace was not just because I am a terrible driver. Today I had my first lesson with an independent instructor and guess what? I have learnt MORE in that one lesson than I did before, and I actually drove for the entire lesson, which didn't happen with the AA until about my 17th lesson.
Original post by RuthFletcher05
I would seriously not recommend the AA. I had 19 lessons with my instructor and I had never passed traffic lights, been on a main road or a 'real' round about. I leant hardly anything. The repetition of each lesson meant I actually never moved over all the minor mistakes beginners should be able to overcome within the first 5 lessons.

My lessons mainly consisted of HIM driving, not me, so even at 19 lessons I STILL couldn't break correctly, take off correctly, turn corners and T junctions. Basically everything.

My instructor told me the reason for the slow place of lessons was that this was the 'safe way to learn'. However, it is of course not, he only wanted to drag out of me as much money as possible.

I should also add that this slow pace was not just because I am a terrible driver. Today I had my first lesson with an independent instructor and guess what? I have learnt MORE in that one lesson than I did before, and I actually drove for the entire lesson, which didn't happen with the AA until about my 17th lesson.

This doesn't mean the AA is a bad driving school, It sounds like you just got a bad instructor. When I was learning to drive with the AA I was driving along dual carriageways at 70mph on my second lesson. The only times he drove the car was on my first lesson and on the way back from the test centre after I passed.

My instructor was nice and friendly, and was a grade 6 instructor but he has since left the AA to start his own driving school.
I would not recommend Bill Plant. On my 5th lesson my driving instructor never confirmed my lesson but showed up at 8am which ofcourse I was not aware therefore did not attend, we then recheduled this time both of us confirming and he never showed I rescheduled one last time and he showed up 15 minutes late which ofcourse was the last straw therefore I never attended. He now owes me £87.50 which he is refusing to give back. Ofcourse I called the company and their excuse is that they have nothing to do with it as the drivers are self employed. Unless your willing to throw money away like that DO NOT USE BILL PLANT! Eddie who was my driving instructor now refuses to take my calls and the company isn't helping so I've lost out on that money. Very very bad customer service!!
I am taking it with a private instructor who works on behalf of BSM, he is really good charges £20 an hour. I have took 12 lessons covered nearly everything just got 3 manuvers and parking to do.
Reply 13
This is an old thread. But as others have said - the individual instructor, not the school, is the key. You need to ask some people local to you about good ones.
I was with red for a couple months. They use some trainee instructors but don't tell you. Unlucky for me I ended up with a trainee instructor who was awful...I also didn't find out he was a trainee until 2 months down the line. Following week I came up with an excuse and told him I was stopping lessons. Always late, and always rearranging or cancelling lessons at the last minute. I also have experience of AA and BSM both of which I found the instructors to be major time wasters and spent most of the lessons pulled up on the side of the road talking about rules of the road (with a lot of repetition) most of the lesson. After the experience with red I stopped lessons for 6 months and went with a less known driving school and took my test after 2 months and although I failed I took it again a few weeks later and passed. I found the instructor to be better than the ones from red, AA and bsm combined AND they were also cheaper! He was always on time and would text if he was slightly running late... He also didn't waste time. Just because these companies are well known doesn't mean they are the best...and to be honest it's not the school you should be asking about.. Every instructor is different, see if you can get specific instructor recommendations in your area
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mellacharlie
I would not recommend Bill Plant. On my 5th lesson my driving instructor never confirmed my lesson but showed up at 8am which ofcourse I was not aware therefore did not attend, we then recheduled this time both of us confirming and he never showed I rescheduled one last time and he showed up 15 minutes late which ofcourse was the last straw therefore I never attended. He now owes me £87.50 which he is refusing to give back. Ofcourse I called the company and their excuse is that they have nothing to do with it as the drivers are self employed. Unless your willing to throw money away like that DO NOT USE BILL PLANT! Eddie who was my driving instructor now refuses to take my calls and the company isn't helping so I've lost out on that money. Very very bad customer service!!

Hi where about did this happen which area
Reply 16
anyone use surepass in London
Reply 17
Hi there, is this instructor based in London? I would be grateful if you could give me his details. I need an instructor. Even better if he still charges £20.
BEWARE OF BILL PLANT

Such a thief's, take the lesson money from my son (18) he had the illusion of been teach , never give the lessons nor return the money , shame on them people
most know so you will not get away with it , shame on you , thiefs
I've heard a lot about bill plant and drive dynamics and from all the reviews they seem like scammers! Someone i know very well was let down by Bill plant! !

Quick Reply

Latest