The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Ronove
I can't say I really understand what you're asking but perhaps this is relevant: the course in Denmark is 6 years but broken into two parts, the Bachelors and the MD. You can't do the latter without the former and you can't be a doctor without both.

I've asked someone who works on behalf of the university and they said that it works a bit like the MPharm degree for pharmacy.
Reply 181
Hello people,

I was just reading all the posts, just wanted to say that wherever you study medicine/ dentistry would be priceless, once a qualified doctor you will be practicing medicine among doctors graduated from all over the world. I personally believe that if you really want to be a doctor then a language barrier would be a small part to worry about, you will learn a language during the first three years and during the clinical years you only will need to have a basic understanding of the language, I know so many doctors that have graduated from European universities and are practicing medicine in the UK. I also know doctors that send their children abroad to study medicine or dentistry as they understand the value of a medical/ dental degree. I think the debate on that ''Europe medical schools are second to uk'', all I will say is once your a doctor, practicing and saving lives, you will never be second to anyone.

I understand that its not going to be easy to study abroad however it will make you all stronger and independent such skills that are important to have in a doctor.

Also once a doctor even if you qualify in the UK, you will experience a language barrier in hospitals because there will be a range of people with different backgrounds and not all will be speaking English.

Hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DRHM
Hello people,

I was just reading all the posts, just wanted to say that wherever you study medicine/ dentistry would be priceless, once a qualified doctor you will be practicing medicine among doctors graduated from all over the world. I personally believe that if you really want to be a doctor then a language barrier would be a small part to worry about, you will learn a language during the first three years and during the clinical years you only will need to have a basic understanding of the language, I know so many doctors that have graduated from European universities and are practicing medicine in the UK. I also know doctors that send their children abroad to study medicine or dentistry as they understand the value of a medical/ dental degree. I think the debate on that ''Europe medical schools are second to uk'', all I will say is once your a doctor, practicing and saving lives, you will never be second to anyone.

I understand that its not going to be easy to study abroad however it will make you all stronger and independent such skills that are important to have in a doctor.

Also once a doctor even if you qualify in the UK, you will experience a language barrier in hospitals because there will be a range of people with different backgrounds and not all will be speaking English.

Hope this helps.

I really must disagree. Though one probably would pick up the language after three years, without a good grasp failure of first and second year exams is a distinct possibility.

I disagree fundamentally with the idea that you only need a 'basic understanding' of a language for clinical years. Often the key to appropriate patient care is eliciting very subtle messages from people. This is why language barriers in healthcare are such a problem. Many European graduates will have excellent English as a result of them being taught in school or through common exposure. It might not be as easy for somebody in the UK with pretty basic conversational French to immediately up sticks and start a medical degree in Paris :s-smilie:
Reply 183
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I really must disagree. Though one probably would pick up the language after three years, without a good grasp failure of first and second year exams is a distinct possibility.

I disagree fundamentally with the idea that you only need a 'basic understanding' of a language for clinical years. Often the key to appropriate patient care is eliciting very subtle messages from people. This is why language barriers in healthcare are such a problem. Many European graduates will have excellent English as a result of them being taught in school or through common exposure. It might not be as easy for somebody in the UK with pretty basic conversational French to immediately up sticks and start a medical degree in Paris :s-smilie:

I interpreted their post as being about those EU med schools where the course is in English.
I agree about the non-English courses though. I'm a seasoned linguist and even I am nervous about my plan to study in Denmark.
Reply 184
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Sorry I was not clear enough, I was talking about the medical schools that offer a English curriculum throughout, the only part where you will need to use the new language learnt is while speaking to patients, even then as someone also mentioned earlier there will be a translator available. I am not saying it will be easy, however if you work hard you will succeed...and looking at the bigger picture you will become a doctor at the end! well hopefully...so many students from the UK and USA go to these countries, I am sure its not easy but a lot come out with the degree they want. Go achieve your dream!
Does anyone have experience of the next stage of medical training after graduating from a European med school?

I'd be interested to know what it's like applying for F1/F2 positions, or even coming back here later on in your career. I'd be interested in studying in Europe, but so far I've heard little about the challenges faced once one graduates.
This!!

Original post by happyhands
Does anyone have experience of the next stage of medical training after graduating from a European med school?

I'd be interested to know what it's like applying for F1/F2 positions, or even coming back here later on in your career. I'd be interested in studying in Europe, but so far I've heard little about the challenges faced once one graduates.

I would be very interested to know how likely is it for the graduate
1)get a job
2)extend their qualification
3)pass the USMLE and etc (the exams required to work in US or Canada)

tbh I have asked this from a few agencies and the students who are already enrolled but they either not happy to say what it is or they haven't ever thought of it

E.g. apparently, charles which is the best among them unis in europe does not really prepare student for the US-Canada exams due to different style of teaching
Reply 187
Original post by arvin_infinity
This!!

I would be very interested to know how likely is it for the graduate
1)get a job
2)extend their qualification
3)pass the USMLE and etc (the exams required to work in US or Canada)

tbh I have asked this from a few agencies and the students who are already enrolled but they either not happy to say what it is or they haven't ever thought of it

E.g. apparently, charles which is the best among them unis in europe does not really prepare student for the US-Canada exams due to different style of teaching

Why would a student who wanted to return to the UK want a course which better suited the US-Canada system?
Original post by Ronove
Why would a student who wanted to return to the UK want a course which better suited the US-Canada system?

Couldn't see why you are assuming all the students want to go back to work in UK!! dont get me wrong I love UK with passion but there are students who want to either extend their qualification there or just live/work in there and this is not me saying this but dental students/dentists in uk

even if someone is thinking of coming to uk after 5-6 years time ..who knows!
Reply 189
Original post by arvin_infinity
Couldn't see why you are assuming all the students want to go back to work in UK!! dont get me wrong I love UK with passion but there are students who want to either extend their qualification there or just live/work in there and this is not me saying this but dental students/dentists in uk

even if someone is thinking of coming to uk after 5-6 years time ..who knows!

Most of the students asking here are ones who didn't get in to the UK system and want to go away, graduate and come back to the UK. I'm one who hasn't tried the UK system and will be trying the Danish one and staying there afterwards (if all goes to plan) but I am very much the exception. This is, after all, a UK site.

Edit: ...You're talking to and about dentists as opposed to medical students? That might be the issue.
Reply 190
Hey are you studying medicine in Denmark ? is it in English or danish ? Because i am originally from Denmark, but we are planning on moving back this year ? so any help would be great :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by IM2005
Hey are you studying medicine in Denmark ? is it in English or danish ? Because i am originally from Denmark, but we are planning on moving back this year ? so any help would be great :smile:

I'm not studying medicine in Denmark but I hope to be in a couple of years! Will you have HF/whatever or will you have A-levels? If you have A-levels you'll have to apply via Kvote 2 like me, which looks like a pain in the arse, to be honest. :p: At KU at least. Apparently Odense has places divided 50/50 between Kvote 1 and Kvote 2 so you might want to try there. :smile: Unfortunately the commute is a bit too much for me to try Odense. :sad:

Edit: Missed the language question, derp. It's in Danish. Hvor god er din dansk? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
Wow, an incredible thread. I've taken the time to read almost every single post and jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

Anybody have any more information on the maths/physics side of the Charles Universitie's entrance exam? The PDF file isnt opening for me.
Additionally, anyone have any info on medicine at the University of Copenhagen, the site is terribly hard to navigate in.

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by NabilKhan
Wow, an incredible thread. I've taken the time to read almost every single post and jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

Anybody have any more information on the maths/physics side of the Charles Universitie's entrance exam? The PDF file isnt opening for me.
Additionally, anyone have any info on medicine at the University of Copenhagen, the site is terribly hard to navigate in.

Many thanks :smile:

I have ****-tons of info on Copenhagen. What do you want to know? The site isn't that hard to navigate. :p:
Reply 194
Original post by Ronove
I have ****-tons of info on Copenhagen. What do you want to know? The site isn't that hard to navigate. :p:

Hey, cheers for replying.

-Firstly, will they look at my GCSE's while sifting through candidiates?
-How much are tuition fees yearly and accom.?
-What are admission requirements?

Thanks
Reply 195
Hey, cheers for replying.

-Firstly, will they look at my GCSE's while sifting through candidiates?
-How much are tuition fees yearly and accom.?
-What are admission requirements?

Thanks

Woah. OK did not expect these questions.

I expect they'll look at GCSEs briefly as the Quota 2 application is where they look at the whole picture. GCSEs obviously form part of that, though I can't imagine they'll put much emphasis on them.

This is really basic research stuff you probably could've found out. There are no tuition fees in Denmark. For anything.
Accommodation seems more complicated. Here is what I could find (since I haven't looked into it myself): http://studier.ku.dk/studieliv_ku/bolig/

Admissions requirements are here: http://studier.ku.dk/bacheloruddannelser/medicin/#Adgangskrav
And you can click 'adgangsgivende eksamen' for more info (basically that A-levels are accepted as equivalent to the Danish A-levels, though it does not specify what is equivalent to what in terms of AS and A2s and Danish B-levels and A-levels).

If you didn't spend several years at a Danish school you'll most likely have to pass the Studieprøve before applying.
Reply 196
Original post by Ronove
Woah. OK did not expect these questions.

I expect they'll look at GCSEs briefly as the Quota 2 application is where they look at the whole picture. GCSEs obviously form part of that, though I can't imagine they'll put much emphasis on them.

This is really basic research stuff you probably could've found out. There are no tuition fees in Denmark. For anything.
Accommodation seems more complicated. Here is what I could find (since I haven't looked into it myself): http://studier.ku.dk/studieliv_ku/bolig/

Admissions requirements are here: http://studier.ku.dk/bacheloruddannelser/medicin/#Adgangskrav
And you can click 'adgangsgivende eksamen' for more info (basically that A-levels are accepted as equivalent to the Danish A-levels, though it does not specify what is equivalent to what in terms of AS and A2s and Danish B-levels and A-levels).

If you didn't spend several years at a Danish school you'll most likely have to pass the Studieprøve before applying.

Firstly, thanks for replying :smile:

Alot of the websites i tried to visit, were in danish, and punching the whole site into google translate, isnt so effective. But thanks for taking the effort to find out for me. :smile:

And in terms of the grade requirements, i kinda see what you mean. I guess i'll get in touch with them myself.

It's worth the wait :smile: Thanks!
Reply 197
Firstly, thanks for replying :smile:

Alot of the websites i tried to visit, were in danish, and punching the whole site into google translate, isnt so effective. But thanks for taking the effort to find out for me. :smile:

And in terms of the grade requirements, i kinda see what you mean. I guess i'll get in touch with them myself.

It's worth the wait :smile: Thanks!

In terms of actual grades, according to the Ministry for Education site (or whatever it was), at A2 Bs and As are both equivalent to a 10 in the Danish system and an A* is equivalent to a 12. As you can see on the Adgangskrav page if you go up a bit, the average that got applicants onto the course via Quota 1 in 2011 was 10.7. I don't know whether that's taken from just the required subjects or all subjects taken in Sixth Form though. These things don't matter for me just yet. :smile:

Edit: And by the way... since you say you were putting the whole thing into Google Translate... you know that the course is in Danish, right? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Ronove
In terms of actual grades, according to the Ministry for Education site (or whatever it was), at A2 Bs and As are both equivalent to a 10 in the Danish system and an A* is equivalent to a 12. As you can see on the Adgangskrav page if you go up a bit, the average that got applicants onto the course via Quota 1 in 2011 was 10.7. I don't know whether that's taken from just the required subjects or all subjects taken in Sixth Form though. These things don't matter for me just yet. :smile:

Edit: And by the way... since you say you were putting the whole thing into Google Translate... you know that the course is in Danish, right? :biggrin:

yeah, will have to take maybe 1 or 2 years out to learn danish. I have cousins who have done the same and they turned out fine.
Reply 199
yeah, will have to take maybe 1 or 2 years out to learn danish. I have cousins who have done the same and they turned out fine.

They went to a Danish uni to study Medicine? Or they learned Danish and did a degree in Denmark or what? I'd be really interested in hearing about it since, if you hadn't already guessed, it's what I'm doing. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending