The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by firestar101
I got a place at the University of pleven in bulgaria and also a university in romania( cannot remember the name).

Now doing pharmacy.

By the way, who is going to pay your fees and accomodation? And, are your parents ok with sending you half way around the world. Most asian parents would not be fine with that.

Which uni do u think you'll go to? I've put pharmacy as a back up here but haven't heard back yet. But I think I'd prefer to fo medicine even if abroad than pharmacy here.

My parents will be paying for me (or maybe a loan from the bank)... It's annoying they don't do loans for students like here. I'm not Asian, but yeah my parents have been encouraging me about going abroad so they're ok with it.
Reply 41
Original post by Aysha92
Which uni do u think you'll go to? I've put pharmacy as a back up here but haven't heard back yet. But I think I'd prefer to fo medicine even if abroad than pharmacy here.

My parents will be paying for me (or maybe a loan from the bank)... It's annoying they don't do loans for students like here. I'm not Asian, but yeah my parents have been encouraging me about going abroad so they're ok with it.

Your best bet is Malta as it's free tuiton if your about loans, ask Bally2 she'll know better, and your question from before, yeah I was going to apply but instead got into school here. Good luck.
Reply 42
Original post by abdiz12
Your best bet is Malta as it's free tuiton if your about loans, ask Bally2 she'll know better, and your question from before, yeah I was going to apply but instead got into school here. Good luck.

Free as in free tuition or you can get a loan and pay back later? Yeah I'll ask her. Congratulations on your offer too!
Reply 43
Original post by halima iqbal
no i havent been for an interview. i kinda feel like thats not going to come to be honest with you :frown:

Good luck with them. Hopefully you'll get an interview soon... Don't lose hope just yet.
Reply 44
Original post by Funky_Climber
I'd recommend going on the GMC website and looking at the list of accredited institutions so that you don't go somewhere that isn't recognised and you end up with a worthless degree.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp#xacceptable

I know that there are extra exams for you to do if you try to come from a non-EU country which includes an english proficiency test (not sure if it's hard for british citizens, maybe bad habbits could make it hard).

Have you considered doing a BSc and getting yourself onto a Graduate Entry Medical Course, they take standard A level grades with a 2i and a 1st. Some even consider 2ii's as well.

If you are looking at going abroad to do it I'd look somewhere that has a good amount of english spoken as even though the course may be taught in english. It is VERY VERY unlikely that all your Romanian, Russian ect patients will speak fluent english and you will have hit a big language barrier.

Also, look at the number of doctors working here and ask any you know how many doctors they know that qualified out of the UK. I know that some are only allowed to do a 1 or 2 year job and then they go back to the country they qualified in.

Thanks. Are you considering applying abroad? I looked at the gmc website the other day and it says if you qualify from any country within the EEA and the course is recognised there it will be recognised here because of the EU. I'll double check specific unis jay to make sure I don't apply to a private uni or a badly taught course that's not accepted and waste my time.

Yeah you have to take the PLAB test that's why I'm hesitating to study in where I'm originally from. The English language barrier is the other thing but you get taught the language and I can always do some courses over the summer or something.
Reply 45
Original post by no.name
hello!
i'm considering applying to a university in Prague! I know that their degree is accepted in the UK...but I hear that you have to give an exam(PLAB) to enter training in UK. are you guys okay with giving another exam just to come back here and train?
i'm scared that I will get stuck there.

As far as I know you only do this exam of you qualify from a country outside the EU. If you study in Europe you'll be ok to come back here. Double check the gmc website. (I'll try find a link)
Reply 46
Hey do you know when the entrance exam for Charles university is going to be in London?
Reply 47
Original post by GreenIs
Hey do you know when the entrance exam for Charles university is going to be in London?

You have to sit the SATs exam if you're doing the exam here rather than the normal entrance exam. Not sure of the dates exactly but it's around May time I think. If you look on the SATs website, and you need to do bio, chem and physics.
Reply 48
Original post by Aysha92
As far as I know you only do this exam of you qualify from a country outside the EU. If you study in Europe you'll be ok to come back here. Double check the gmc website. (I'll try find a link)

This is currently the case. Given the fuss there has been recently over a couple of high profile cases of European doctors doing bad things over here, it might have changed by the time you graduate.
Reply 49
Original post by Helenia
This is currently the case. Given the fuss there has been recently over a couple of high profile cases of European doctors doing bad things over here, it might have changed by the time you graduate.

Really? What kind of problems happened? I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping it's not because the teaching isn't good over there.
Hungary has a good rep for Medical degrees. Apparently, Irish undergrads are looking to Hungary as well. It seems the competition isn't so stiff, so you've a better chance of getting in. Plus its cheaper.

http://www.studyhungary.hu/pages.php?pageID=2
Reply 51
What sort of entrance exams are required to study Medicine in Europe?

What options are available for graduates?
Reply 52
Tips:

English taught medical schools as found mostly in Eastern Europe. But there are some newer ones in Greece, Spain... prices vary but generally Eastern European one will be cheaper or equivalent to the £9000 UK fee.

You can apply directly or you can apply through and agency (the agency charges and also get commission from the uni for 'finding' you). Best bet is to apply to the uni directly without wasting time/money.

Each uni has a different criteria. Some schools will let you in if you have good A Levels (AAB) without interview. Otherwise usually there is an entrance exam to take (which at Charles university consists of MCQ's questions based on A-level maths, biology and physics + interview)

Currently, Czech, Hungary and Poland are all popular with international students.

http://www.escapeartist.com/studying_abroad/Foreign_Medical_Schools_Europe.html
Reply 53
Original post by supanogi
Tips:

English taught medical schools as found mostly in Eastern Europe. But there are some newer ones in Greece, Spain... prices vary but generally Eastern European one will be cheaper or equivalent to the £9000 UK fee.

You can apply directly or you can apply through and agency (the agency charges and also get commission from the uni for 'finding' you). Best bet is to apply to the uni directly without wasting time/money.

Each uni has a different criteria. Some schools will let you in if you have good A Levels (AAB) without interview. Otherwise usually there is an entrance exam to take (which at Charles university consists of MCQ's questions based on A-level maths, biology and physics + interview)

Currently, Czech, Hungary and Poland are all popular with international students.

http://www.escapeartist.com/studying_abroad/Foreign_Medical_Schools_Europe.html

Thanks for that!
Do you know an example of the unis that don't interview those with good A-levels?
I think I'm probably going to apply to Czech and Hungary. What do you think of Romania?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Aysha92
Thanks for that!
Do you know an example of the unis that don't interview those with good A-levels?
I think I'm probably going to apply to Czech and Hungary. What do you think of Romania?

Don't know about Romania. The following Universities in Poland do not have entrance examinations/interviews:

Pomeranian University http://www.pum.edu.pl/english/english-program

Medical University of Warsaw http://2wl.wum.edu.pl/en
(only applicants with IB and EB diploma - others have to take entry exam)
Reply 55
Original post by the_decider
With regard to studying med in germany. Afaik you have to know german or have basic knowledge of german to be considered.
This is the website (its in german :P): www.hochschulstart.de

well considering their website is in german, i think they would like applicants to understand german...otherwise why are they applying to a school they cannot even read about..?
Reply 56
Original post by Aysha92
Really? What kind of problems happened? I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping it's not because the teaching isn't good over there.

The most famous case in recent years is Dr Daniel Ubani, who accidentally killed a patient with a diamorphine overdose, because his English wasn't good enough to realise it was different from morphine.

There are a few others, plus just general mutterings from doctors here after having bad experiences. There are no concrete plans afoot yet, but I would expect that at the minimum some kind of language competency test will be introduced at some point; no idea if a clinical skills assessment would be possible or desirable.

I really would recommend only going to Eastern Europe if you have tried and failed several times to get into UK med schools.
Reply 57
Original post by Helenia
The most famous case in recent years is Dr Daniel Ubani, who accidentally killed a patient with a diamorphine overdose, because his English wasn't good enough to realise it was different from morphine.

There are a few others, plus just general mutterings from doctors here after having bad experiences. There are no concrete plans afoot yet, but I would expect that at the minimum some kind of language competency test will be introduced at some point; no idea if a clinical skills assessment would be possible or desirable.

I really would recommend only going to Eastern Europe if you have tried and failed several times to get into UK med schools.

Thats terrible. I guess the language problems will be more with those who are actually European and learnt medicine in english, and have different accents. Whereas if you're going from the Uk abroad, when you come back you'll still be able to speak clear english.
I think if they start to see that loads of problems will happen they will definetly start an english language test and possibly a clinical skills test, but that would be the same as the PLAB for those who graduated from outside the EU.
I wonder why you have to sit an exam if you graduate from outside the EU, but speak good english but not if you graduate from inside the EU?
Reply 58
Original post by Aysha92
Thats terrible. I guess the language problems will be more with those who are actually European and learnt medicine in english, and have different accents. Whereas if you're going from the Uk abroad, when you come back you'll still be able to speak clear english.
I think if they start to see that loads of problems will happen they will definetly start an english language test and possibly a clinical skills test, but that would be the same as the PLAB for those who graduated from outside the EU.
I wonder why you have to sit an exam if you graduate from outside the EU, but speak good english but not if you graduate from inside the EU?

EU law - they're not allowed to discriminate against anyone from within the EU when it comes to employment.

I don't know exactly what will happen, but I certainly would be wary of viewing Eastern European medical schools as an easy option, particularly if you want to come back to the UK to work in the long run.
Reply 59
Original post by Helenia
EU law - they're not allowed to discriminate against anyone from within the EU when it comes to employment.

I don't know exactly what will happen, but I certainly would be wary of viewing Eastern European medical schools as an easy option, particularly if you want to come back to the UK to work in the long run.

Thanks for raising this point to me. But even if I'm a UK national ... if any changes do happen?

Latest

Trending

Trending