The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LipstickKisses
If you just do cardio though you'll lose muscle as well, if you team both cardio and weights you'll get a 'toned' look. :smile: Also losing 'weight' doesn't really matter, you can be heavier but fitter and healthier due to muscle weighing more than fat. The best way to tell if you have 'lost' and are getting fitter is to measure bust, waist and hips and keep a record of them.

Right, ah yes, that does make sense actually, but I don't want an 'athletic' figure, i'd rather have a more feminine figure.
You need to improve your diet without losing weight. The two don't have to coincide.
Original post by Amwazicles
You need to improve your diet without losing weight. The two don't have to coincide.

But my main aim is to lose weight. :rolleyes:
Reply 83
1) don't skip breakfast
2) don't eat so much toast, or at least make it brown bread/wholegrain something or other (white bread is no good)
3) eat at regular mealtimes, eating your dinner at midnight will throw your body clock off and could slow down your metabolism (especially if you go to sleep shortly after, your body won't have a good chance to digest everything)
4) eat more veg!
5) take heed of all this advice if you really think you need to loose weight, but from the descriptions you gave of yourself it sounds like you're healthy enough.
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
But my main aim is to lose weight. :rolleyes:

But you shouldn't lose weight, because your weight is healthy. Why do you want to lose weight?
Reply 85
I swear every single thread on the Fitness forum about girls getting into shape descends into a 'CARDIO AND CRUNCHES' vs 'YOU MUST LIFT WEIGHTS!!!' argument.
Original post by aliphatic
I swear every single thread on the Fitness forum about girls getting into shape descends into a 'CARDIO AND CRUNCHES' vs 'YOU MUST LIFT WEIGHTS!!!' argument.

Lift weight's and get the health benefits of cardio = win.
But you shouldn't lose weight, because your weight is healthy. Why do you want to lose weight?

I'm in the 63rd percentile of a healthy weight, so I can afford to lose weight without being underweight. In answer to your second question - because the medication i'm on has caused a lot of weight gain. All I want to do is lose it again. :smile:
Original post by Leahcar
1) don't skip breakfast
2) don't eat so much toast, or at least make it brown bread/wholegrain something or other (white bread is no good)
3) eat at regular mealtimes, eating your dinner at midnight will throw your body clock off and could slow down your metabolism (especially if you go to sleep shortly after, your body won't have a good chance to digest everything)
4) eat more veg!
5) take heed of all this advice if you really think you need to loose weight, but from the descriptions you gave of yourself it sounds like you're healthy enough.

I always eat brown bread. :biggrin:
Thanks for the advice.
The thing about eating at night is a complete myth, by the way.
The thing about eating at night is a complete myth, by the way.

Seriously! :woo: Does that mean I can still eat my main meals at night yet lose weight at the same time?
Seriously! :woo: Does that mean I can still eat my main meals at night yet lose weight at the same time?

Well, you should be eating little and often throughout the day, rather than just one huge meal at night and one huge meal in the day, as it sort of seems to be now. But restricting your intake after a certain hour of the day and things like that, don't make any difference. As long as you're eating the right amount and the right things, reasonably spread across the day, it doesn't matter when exactly.

Your body doesn't really recognise what time of day it is. It is a little bit of a myth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3263249.stm
Well, you should be eating little and often throughout the day, rather than just one huge meal at night and one huge meal in the day, as it sort of seems to be now. But restricting your intake after a certain hour of the day and things like that, don't make any difference. As long as you're eating the right amount and the right things, reasonably spread across the day, it doesn't matter when exactly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3263249.stm

Ah, I see. Well, that's great news for me. :u:
I'll try to eat more often but with smaller portions.
Ah, I see. Well, that's great news for me. :u:
I'll try to eat more often but with smaller portions.

Good plan. :yep: And more balanced portions too!
Good plan. :yep: And more balanced portions too!

As in healthier?
As in healthier?

Yeah - a more varied meal, consisting of some protein, some carbohydrate, some vegetables, etc. Rather than four pieces of toast, which is just all carbohydrate, or pizza which has pretty much zero vegetable/mineral content. I'm not a dietician or anything, but living things just need variety, and you don't seem to be getting much. It seems like you're not going to be getting enough vitamins and minerals, because you seem to eat little or no fruit and veg. And if you are only having one rounded meal a day, you might not be getting enough protein either. Have you thought about seeing a dietician, just to get some general overall advice about your diet?
Reply 96
Have LOTS of fruit. Take bananas, apples, oranges... whichever fruit you like and eat that during the day and for dinner have a proper meal. Oh and dont skip breakfast.

OP, 9 stone 6 at 5"5 is about right, losing weight shouldnt be the goal here, the goal should be a healthier lifestyle and not some number on a scale. And for this healthier lifestyle, doing some cardio and some weights will aid you in this. You cannot be "bulking up" whilst eating little. The only way you bulk up is if you eat loads whilst doing the weights. Plus since you're female you wont have large amounts of testosterone so it will be difficult to bulk up even if you tried. Many sexy females lift heavy weights yet they're not "bulky"
Yeah - a more varied meal, consisting of some protein, some carbohydrate, some vegetables, etc. Rather than four pieces of toast, which is just all carbohydrate, or pizza which has pretty much zero vegetable/mineral content. I'm not a dietician or anything, but living things just need variety, and you don't seem to be getting much. It seems like you're not going to be getting enough vitamins and minerals, because you seem to eat little or no fruit and veg. And if you are only having one rounded meal a day, you might not be getting enough protein either. Have you thought about seeing a dietician, just to get some general overall advice about your diet?

Well I have a fair amount of experience with dieticians as I saw one every week whilst I was in hospital (around 10 months). I think I know what changes I need to make to my diet anyway.
Reply 98
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
old wives tail is that

its all about the cals you have during the day not when you eat

It's always a bad idea to eat late at night though, screws up circadian rythms because they are controlled in part by when you eat. Eating around 11/12 is a bad idea unless you're a night worker.

You shouldn't really eat for 3-4 hours before bed to maximise the quality of sleep. And not eating breakfast is a guaranteed way to feel **** on the early starts, breakfast is how your body knows to wake up.
Original post by Megaross
breakfast is how your body knows to wake up.

Pretty sure you have to wake up before you eat breakfast.

Latest