The Student Room Group

Are you in it for the money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MrDent
There's nothing wrong with doing it just for the money. People seem to think doing it for the money equals being a bad dentist.

At the end of the day why do you work? For money. You want a stable job that pays well.

Having a passion and being enthusiastic about it will help in you enjoying your job etc, but anyone doing it for the money don't be ashamed to say for.

It's money that's gets you through this world.

Although having said that, there are easier and faster ways of making a lot more money.

I think you misunderstood my post or atleast i didn't make myself clear. imo there is nothing wrong in doing it for money. infact i respect people go through 5 years of gruelling cause without having a passion but they just see the financial benefit at the end which they want to achieve. it's a tough thing to do and those who do it well, good on them. as long as they come out as a good dentist. me, personally i couldn't do a course for money no matter how long is was. it's just not me. whatever i do i've got to feel passionate about it and if i have no passion or no genuine desire to do then i couldn't spend 3 years doing it let alone 5 years so i guess depends on the person themselves.
Original post by Kartace

Neither do i "enjoy looking in people mouths" as you put it. This could be angled around and aimed at any job, you just find a percieved negative aspect then ask about it. "Why do you enjoy collecting peoples rubbish all day?" "why do you enjoy sitting in an office all day?"

But... I'm pretty sure most binmen don't enjoy collection peoples rubbish all day. And I know a LOT of people don't enjoy sitting in an office all day, unless what they're doing is really exciting.

Would you say to a gynacologist, "why do you enjoy looking at manky genitals all day long?", or to an oncologist, "why do you enjoy potentially diagnosing people with the worst news they'll ever recieve every day". It doesn't make sense.

Actually yeah, I probably would. Especially the gynacologist. That's way worse than being a dentist!

Anyway I understand you're just defending your position but just thought I'd point those out.

Plus I guess dentists get it worse because a lot of the time they have to do those routine checkups where you're just looking in a healthy mouth and saying yeah fine. Most other medical practitioners don't have to do that, they just get to see the stuff that actually needs fixing.
Reply 22
Original post by Arturo Bandini
But... I'm pretty sure most binmen don't enjoy collection peoples rubbish all day. And I know a LOT of people don't enjoy sitting in an office all day, unless what they're doing is really exciting.

Actually yeah, I probably would. Especially the gynacologist. That's way worse than being a dentist!

Anyway I understand you're just defending your position but just thought I'd point those out.

Plus I guess dentists get it worse because a lot of the time they have to do those routine checkups where you're just looking in a healthy mouth and saying yeah fine. Most other medical practitioners don't have to do that, they just get to see the stuff that actually needs fixing.

How do you know it's healthy?
Original post by MrDent
How do you know it's healthy?

I don't, I'm not a dentist. but you know what I meant. Dentists do checkups on patients for no reason other than that they're due a checkup, whereas most other medical careers don't.

I'm just saying that's probably a contributing factor to people thinking it must be a boring job
Original post by Kartace
Ok first and foremost. NO i'm not in it for the money.

Neither do i "enjoy looking in people mouths" as you put it. This could be angled around and aimed at any job, you just find a percieved negative aspect then ask about it. "Why do you enjoy collecting peoples rubbish all day?" "why do you enjoy sitting in an office all day?"

Dentistry is an area of medicine. Much the same as gynacology, oncology or any other specialty.

Would you say to a gynacologist, "why do you enjoy looking at manky genitals all day long?", or to an oncologist, "why do you enjoy potentially diagnosing people with the worst news they'll ever recieve every day". It doesn't make sense.

This is because, that isn't what the job is at all however, it is a facet of the job which people find unatractive and therefore choose to base an illfounded question on. Also i notice you're studying psychology, one might ask, why do you want to talk to crazy people all day long? Surely thats horrible and stressfull. Who would want to do that? I don't ask that because i appreciate that it's probably something you find interesting. Also i realise that not everyone who studys psychology goes into clinical psychiatry. You seem like an intelligent person...you happen to have exactly the same A level results as me too. Surely you can appreciate this too right? Also psychiatists have an extremely high rate of suicide. Higher than that of dentists infact! So your point about that is pretty null....of course this does depend upon which year you choose to look at and which set of data you use!

I'm not becoming a dentist to look inside people mouths, i'm doing it to indulge my creativity and flare for manual dexterity in a way that allows me to help the public and provide a service which sees me established as an upstanding and respected memeber of the medical and general community.

I cannot of course speak for everyone's motivation for studying dentistry, however, i believe i speak for the majority of people on this forum when i say that dentistry probably stemmed from a general interest in science throughout school. A caring nature and an enjoyment of helping others. Alot of people will be influenced by familly members who are dentists.

Personally, it was suggested that i try some work experience. I initially wanted to do medicine. But after my first day at the dental surgery i was hooked. The creativity and the precision that was required really appealed to me. You get to speak to the patients and get to know them. And see them visibly more confident and often in significantly less pain as a result of your care. More often than not a dentist is present throughout the care of a patient, and this continuity is also very fullfilling.

I could really go on forever about why i want to do dentistry. Just take it as read that there are plenty of avenues of fullfillment on social, emotional, clinical, scientific and practical levels. If you enjoy working with your hands and working with people it's a fantastic choice. Much more surgically oreintated than general medicine. The variety is fantastic too. No day is ever the same.

Oh yeah and about the mouths "not being so pleasant" contrary to popular belief these are often the most fun! Dentist love nothing more than a load of plaque and tartar to get stuck into, or a good perio treatment. Nothing is more boring that looking into someones mouth and going "yup...fine...see you in 6 months" wheres the fun there? Although yes it is nice to see someone who takes care of their teeth. Without manky teeth there would be no need for dentists in the first place?!

Now, moving onto your next point. I'm sorry but...wherever you are quoting that from...is just....appalingly *******s ridden. Little job satisfaction. Who the hell do you/they think they are to say how much job satisfaction either me or anyone else is likley to get from dentistry!? It's a wholly subjective thing. As is stress, a very good quote i heard was that "there are no stressfull jobs, just stress prone people" Its only stressfull if you are ill equipped to deal with it or otherwise predisposed to being stressed, which i would hasted to add, as medical professionals. Most dentists are not. And dentistry is NOT the highest suicide rate, shutup! Just because a few notable cases of dental professionals committing suicide were publicised and because it has evolved into a kind of urban myth/steryotype does not make it true. It is simply incorrect. There are many other professionas with higher rates of suicide. Go and bother them!

Finally, what answers do you expect to get from a bunch of dental applicants?! You say the work isn't that appealing...well thats probably why you're not becoming a dentist and we are. We find it interesting an fullfilling. The fact that it pays well is a bonus. I agree that in many cases it also forms part of a decision to study. That is perfectly normal. However, these individulas to whom you refer. The ones who choose dentistry primarily based on the money. Very rarely get through the interview and admissions process. Also, there are plenty of other careers which steryotypically pay well and have much shorter training intervals. Such as working in the city etc... surely it would make more sense to go for one of these jobs if one were primarily driven by a love of money.

You seem to have a very cynical view of us dental applicants. You know...people do enjoy different things...and what we find interesting may not neccisarily ring true for you. If you want to discuss this further. Please PM me. I'll be happy to talk to you.

For now, i've probably written far too much already. And repeated myself many times with poor grammar and or spelling. If any of the applicants on this forum feel i've misrepresented you, please feel free to add to what i've put. Or disagree with it.

Also, this isn't a direct go at you but rather a sortof untidy release of fury at the number of people who's ignorant views have enraged me over the past 2 years as i've been applying for dentistry. I understand "you're not digging" and please don't take any of this personally.

Peace <3

Nothing to add to the discussion, but if everyone's reason for studying what they do were as good as this, the world would be a much happier place.
Reply 25
Original post by MrDent
There's nothing wrong with doing it just for the money. People seem to think doing it for the money equals being a bad dentist.

At the end of the day why do you work? For money. You want a stable job that pays well.

Having a passion and being enthusiastic about it will help in you enjoying your job etc, but anyone doing it for the money don't be ashamed to say for.

It's money that's gets you through this world.

Although having said that, there are easier and faster ways of making a lot more money.

Which jobs are easier that have a higher pay?

If you're talking about (investment) banking, then that's completely wrong. It's even more competitive than Dentistry to get into.

Some banks receive 9000 applicants per year (mainly A*/A candidates with a 2:1 or higher) for only 150 places...that's 60 applicants per job. 7500 people don't even make it past the first stage of admission.
And to say it's an easy job is completely wrong, it's a highly stressful job with ridiculously long working hours and deadlines. If you get in however, and can cope with the stress and demands of the job then the rewards are very high!

In my opinion, if you're looking for a fairly flexible, 9-5 job that pays the most then Dentistry is definitely the best option.
Reply 26
Original post by hash007
Which jobs are easier that have a higher pay?

If you're talking about (investment) banking, then that's completely wrong. It's even more competitive than Dentistry to get into.

Some banks receive 9000 applicants per year (mainly A*/A candidates with a 2:1 or higher) for only 150 places...that's 60 applicants per job. 7500 people don't even make it past the first stage of admission.
And to say it's an easy job is completely wrong, it's a highly stressful job with ridiculously long working hours and deadlines. If you get in however, and can cope with the stress and demands of the job then the rewards are very high!

In my opinion, if you're looking for a fairly flexible, 9-5 job that pays the most then Dentistry is definitely the best option.

Who said anything about IB?
Reply 27
Hmm, I really don't think most dentists get paid that much.
You have to be pretty business minded and probably run multiple practices to get anywhere!

t
A true dentist would be in it for the halitosis.
Reply 29
',
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I don't, I'm not a dentist. but you know what I meant. Dentists do checkups on patients for no reason other than that they're due a checkup, whereas most other medical careers don't.

I'm just saying that's probably a contributing factor to people thinking it must be a boring job

Have a little think about why people are advised to visit the dentist at least once a year. Your teeth are prone to decay right from birth when you start drinking milk.

It's similar to how people with glasses go to the opticians at least once a year. Also, there's a big focus on prevention in Dentistry, which is why you probably assume they do check ups on healthy teeth for no reason.

Anyway I'm not going to get into a debate, I find it funny how people come into this section bashing the profession ... it'll be us who will have the last laugh when we get our first wage. :smile:
I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread. Bye.
Original post by MrDent
',

Have a little think about why people are advised to visit the dentist at least once a year. Your teeth are prone to decay right from birth when you start drinking milk.

It's similar to how people with glasses go to the opticians at least once a year. Also, there's a big focus on prevention in Dentistry, which is why you probably assume they do check ups on healthy teeth for no reason.

Anyway I'm not going to get into a debate, I find it funny how people come into this section bashing the profession ... it'll be us who will have the last laugh when we get our first wage. :smile:
I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread. Bye.

Wow, I wasn't bashing the profession, I was just having a discussion, offering a reason why people probably think the way they do.

you're so defensive. relax
Reply 31
Original post by MrDent
Who said anything about IB?

No-one. Read what I posted, I was simply suggesting that you might have been alluding to IB when you said other careers that are easier/pay better.

You still haven't answered my question? Which job's are easier that pay better?
You'd have thought from the talk in this thread that all dentists earn 6 figure salaries. It's actually not that much you know ... the salary is pretty standard for this type of profession.

The starting salary is quite high compared to other graduate jobs, but dentists tend to reach their peak rate earlier on compared to other careers if they stay in the NHS. The ''loaded'' dentists will generally do some work in the private sector, and they only exist because there's a demand for it.

It'd be interesting to know if any of you guys actually know what the average salary of a general dental practitioner working in the NHS, because it appears that some of you don't and are going off the stereotype that dentists are mega loaded and earn loads.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yup. I'm a money oriented person. Sad... but true..
Reply 34
Original post by dentistry2013
You'd have thought from the talk in this thread that all dentists earn 6 figure salaries. It's actually not that much you know ... the salary is pretty standard for this type of profession.

The starting salary is quite high compared to other graduate jobs, but dentists tend to reach their peak rate earlier on compared to other careers if they stay in the NHS. The ''loaded'' dentists will generally do some work in the private sector, and they only exist because there's a demand for it.

It'd be interesting to know if any of you guys actually know what the average salary of a general dental practitioner working in the NHS, because it appears that some of you don't and are going off the stereotype that dentists are mega loaded and earn loads.

This doesn't rule off the fact people may become dentists because they have the potential to earn loads of money, more so than some professions. I love how many thumb downs I get on these posts, some people hate the truth. Yes, some people may not be dentists for the money but I can't believe no one is or that for the majority this didn't entice them at all.
Original post by RobertWhite
This doesn't rule off the fact people may become dentists because they have the potential to earn loads of money, more so than some professions. I love how many thumb downs I get on these posts, some people hate the truth. Yes, some people may not be dentists for the money but I can't believe no one is or that for the majority this didn't entice them at all.

What's your problem with it?
People go into banking, corporate law, business, etc etc etc hoping to earn a good amount so they can live a good life whilst being in a respectable profession. Nothing wrong with it.
Yes some people will only see the money side of it, but a lot of people love to work in health care, in a clinic, working with different people every day as well.
What I don't like is when others say 'oh well you just want lots of money' in an accusational tone, as if dentists go around pretending they bring world peace - which dentists to not claim to do.
Dentistry requires a lot of skill and knowledge, offers a person job security, financial stability, and the chance to work with different types of patients which a range of treatments. Yes, dentists earn a good amount, but they're not millionaires, and definately do not deserve the crap that people who have no understanding of the profession give them.
Reply 36
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
What's your problem with it?
People go into banking, corporate law, business, etc etc etc hoping to earn a good amount so they can live a good life whilst being in a respectable profession. Nothing wrong with it.
Yes some people will only see the money side of it, but a lot of people love to work in health care, in a clinic, working with different people every day as well.
What I don't like is when others say 'oh well you just want lots of money' in an accusational tone, as if dentists go around pretending they bring world peace - which dentists to not claim to do.
Dentistry requires a lot of skill and knowledge, offers a person job security, financial stability, and the chance to work with different types of patients which a range of treatments. Yes, dentists earn a good amount, but they're not millionaires, and definately do not deserve the crap that people who have no understanding of the profession give them.

People seem to think that Dentists get paid millions, the average a general associate gets is around 60-80k. It isn't that as much as people make it out to be. It's one of those where if you enjoy it, it'll be easier than other professions. If you're in it just for the money, then you'll probably end up getting bored.
Reply 37
Original post by RobertWhite

So? As long as they're good at what they do and keep the patient safe what's the problem?
Why do you care so much anyway?
Original post by Stopford
So? As long as they're good at what they do and keep the patient safe what's the problem?
Why do you care so much anyway?

He's jel :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
He's jel :wink:

he posted the following in a different thread:

My Mum works in the hospital so I have 'links' to the psychologists. I had work experience with a neuropsychologist. I'm now relying on my Uncle to find me an occupational psychologist because he's up very high in a large business. Links are the best option. :cool:

1. It's funny enough that he's doing a Mickey Mouse degree i.e. Psychology.

2. He relied on his Mum to get work experience.

3. He intends to rely on his Uncle to get a job.

Yet he has the nerve to come in here and say we're just in it for the easy ride.

Quick Reply

Latest