Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who hide their Facebook friends list

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do it... I don't care and don't think it matters I just prefer people not to know lol
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Because people raid my profile.

My profile's completely private, but Facebook makes it harder with each update they do.
    You are bang on 100% correct. It's annoying me that with this new timeline thing, if you tag friends in a post, their friends can comment on it. I'm usually 100% private like you, and I find this quite disturbing. Whenever Facebook changes, I'm usually onto the case right away of upping the privacy of my page - which could take around 2 or 3 hours to do as they make it increasingly difficult to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I only have around 80. I doubt any of my friends care, but i've so many experiences of overly judgemental people it's just not worth the risk.

I don't understand why people pay so much attention to how many friends someone has. I've actually heard conversations in college where people are comparing their friends lists and bragging about it :rolleyes: It doesn't prove anything either, i've known really sociable/confident people with <100 friends and people with >1000 friends and regularly speak to around 3 of them in ''real life''.

I don't have any, i've been really unlucky in this sense

Was really ill with depression during school and all of my friends abandoned me, even my best friend of 10 years. I went to college and really struggled to meet anyone because i was quite shy and everyone had their groups of friends from school and wasn't really interested in meeting anyone else. I did make a group of friends eventually but in Year 13 they suddenly excluded me for no real reason I met another new group of people but most of them were acquaintances and once we left college they never bothered to keep in touch with me. Now they've gone to university they've all forgotten i exist, tried to get back in touch over christmas but they weren't interested.

I'm dreading going home this summer already.
    What do people usually do for summer anyway?

Does everyone just go home and forget about friends they've made at uni or what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I only have around 80. I doubt any of my friends care, but i've so many experiences of overly judgemental people it's just not worth the risk.

I don't understand why people pay so much attention to how many friends someone has. I've actually heard conversations in college where people are comparing their friends lists and bragging about it :rolleyes: It doesn't prove anything either, i've known really sociable/confident people with <100 friends and people with >1000 friends and regularly speak to around 3 of them in ''real life''.

I don't have any, i've been really unlucky in this sense

Was really ill with depression during school and all of my friends abandoned me, even my best friend of 10 years. I went to college and really struggled to meet anyone because i was quite shy and everyone had their groups of friends from school and wasn't really interested in meeting anyone else. I did make a group of friends eventually but in Year 13 they suddenly excluded me for no real reason I met another new group of people but most of them were acquaintances and once we left college they never bothered to keep in touch with me. Now they've gone to university they've all forgotten i exist, tried to get back in touch over christmas but they weren't interested.

I'm dreading going home this summer already.
    Your story sounds fairly similar to mine. I don't have many 'friends' on Facebook, I don't have a photo either, so it's easier just to pretend I don't use it much.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I used to keep mine private but since my profile has changed to timeline it's all gone public even after changing the settings. Really irritates me tbh.
    On your timeline profile, see the box called 'friends' at the top right? Click on 'see all', then when the list comes up click the grey box at the top marked 'edit' and you'll be able to change the privacy settings of your friends list.

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you even do that? I can't find any settings on the new facebook >.< I don't have that new timeline **** and want to give up facebook when it becomes obligatory. Why on earth would I want everything I did/said in 2006 to be right there for everyone to see? ****, I got married at 17 in a foreign country and divorced at 19.. I was idiotic. why the feck would I ever want that time of life to suddenly appear?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    How do you even do that? I can't find any settings on the new facebook >.< I don't have that new timeline **** and want to give up facebook when it becomes obligatory. Why on earth would I want everything I did/said in 2006 to be right there for everyone to see? ****, I got married at 17 in a foreign country and divorced at 19.. I was idiotic. why the feck would I ever want that time of life to suddenly appear?
    When you switch to timeline you get a week before it goes live where no-one can see your new profile except you and you can remove anything from years ago you don't want anyone to see. Anyone with a lot of time on their hands now could go back and see it anyway so by switching it'll actually be easier for you to hide anything embarrassing
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Boofle*)
    On your timeline profile, see the box called 'friends' at the top right? Click on 'see all', then when the list comes up click the grey box at the top marked 'edit' and you'll be able to change the privacy settings of your friends list.

Thanks, I've already done that. People can still click on a box where my photos are to see 'mutual friends' though which is what annoys me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Thanks, I've already done that. People can still click on a box where my photos are to see 'mutual friends' though which is what annoys me.
    Oh yeah, it does seem a bit odd that you can hide your friends but not your mutual friends. Hopefully they'll sort it out in their next update :moon:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    A private person. Who they are friends with is their own personal business.
    This.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    well I personally think it's rude. I mean.. why hide your friends? It just makes me paranoid that they're hiding it due to me not wanting to see who they're friends with.

And thus I cannot view friends of theirs which is ultimately annoying as i have to actually type the name in the search box and then scroll through for the person's I want to find.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    well I personally think it's rude. I mean.. why hide your friends? It just makes me paranoid that they're hiding it due to me not wanting to see who they're friends with.

And thus I cannot view friends of theirs which is ultimately annoying as i have to actually type the name in the search box and then scroll through for the person's I want to find.
    Your definition of 'rude' is hilarious and hypocritical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the person might be emberresed about who their friends are on there, or they just don't want other people to see who their friends are.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godot92)
    Say it's an acquaintance, what is initial reaction? Be honest!
    couldnt give a toss, not everyone feels the need to update and scream to the world about every little thing using that blasted networking site
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read this thread then looked at my facebook privacy settings and realised they weren't as private as I had previously set them. Timeline sort of by-passed it. It's more private now though
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)

It's because of people like you that others feel the need to hide their friends list...in which case you have every reason to be paranoid :holmes:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was unaware that you could hide your friends list! Thanks, I've now changed my settings.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    that they are a sensible and private person..,
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Margaret thatcher
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dont Tread On Me)
    On facebook i only add people I regularly talk to, or people who could benefit me being on there.
    Because of this I only have about 60 people on it, when people see my number of friends, they assume i'm a loner, so I hide it. What is the point of me adding people who i briefly met at a party or someone i don't speak to?
    Cause it's a good way to keep in contact with everyone you meet (the ones you want to), some of my best friends were met in short conversations at partys

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.