The Student Room Group

given interview question

i think this is a pretty given interview question:
What are the major problems with the NHS?
im an interntaional student so i dont know much about the NHS and how it works, but i think the main reasons would be lack of government funding and lack of doctors? is that right and is there anything else im missing?

thanx for any help!
Reply 1
It isn't because of lack of doctors (just take a look at how many people apply for medicine - there are plenty of people willing to be doctors) it is, as you said, lack of funding to increase the amount of doctors.
Reply 2
Its also the development of new technology and treatments that are expensive. Also the fact that as the NHS is free people are more likely to go to doctors for complaints they wouldn't do if they had to pay. Hence whilst the NHS was considered affordable when it was set up in 1948 the unforseen events above mean that it costs the government more than expected.

There is also the problem of lack of competition due to the state nature of the NHS, as any business man will tell you competition is necessary for good business and efficiency. Hence there is great waste in the NHS due to lack of competition.

Some would say league tables etc. don't help (but how else do you aquire competition).
Reply 3
I applied to sheffield university and UCL to study medicine there, but I haven't heard anything from them yet?
IS IT GOOD OR BAD? i think it is baaaad.
Reply 4
i havent heard from imperial, ucl or kings for med! now i think that is baaad!

thankyou alispan and spoon1! helped alot
Reply 5
i have a question about how the NHS works. this is what i understand. UK citizens pay health care tax and this money goes to the local NHS trusts, which make sure that the money is used properly for neccessary health care. is this the correct gist of it?
Reply 6
Don't hold me to this but... doesn't the money go to the government who then dishes it out according to performance etc. so that better performing hospitals get more money - supposedly encouraging worse hospitals to do better. You've also got primary care trusts (PCTs) who control GPs etc. e.g. which drugs are licenced in their area. They get their money from the government, which comes from tax payers.
Tommy07
i think this is a pretty given interview question:
What are the major problems with the NHS?
im an interntaional student so i dont know much about the NHS and how it works, but i think the main reasons would be lack of government funding and lack of doctors? is that right and is there anything else im missing?

thanx for any help!

I'm also an international student. I've had two interviews so far and neither of them asked me any questions on the NHS. When they asked me question related to health care systems, i just talked about how it is in my own country so i don't think you should be to worried about it. I don't think they expect you to know about it unless you are living in the UK.
shimmerinapple
I'm also an international student. I've had two interviews so far and neither of them asked me any questions on the NHS. When they asked me question related to health care systems, i just talked about how it is in my own country so i don't think you should be to worried about it. I don't think they expect you to know about it unless you are living in the UK.[/QUO
I'm also an international student but i have been living in Uk for nearly 2 years. I have an intervied on the 8th of Mrach in Abdn. I've done a trial interview with 2 medical students and they asked me about NHS and i talked bout stuffs in my home country and they told me it's better to talk bout those in UK instead of other country.
I guess if you've lived in the UK then you are expected to know about the NHS. Anyways, good luck with your interview. :smile:
shimmerinapple
I guess if you've lived in the UK then you are expected to know about the NHS. Anyways, good luck with your interview. :smile:

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 11
well. ive heard from ucl and kings now and have been rejected from both! ARG!!!
oh well...anyways
If you dont mind me asking what kind of NHS question did you get speedskater?
apparently there is something called added value in the NHS! does anyone know anything about it - i've only heard about it but cant seem to find much info.

thanx for any help
Tommy07
well. ive heard from ucl and kings now and have been rejected from both! ARG!!!
oh well...anyways
If you dont mind me asking what kind of NHS question did you get speedskater?
apparently there is something called added value in the NHS! does anyone know anything about it - i've only heard about it but cant seem to find much info.

thanx for any help

That was just a trial interview with the Med students, it wasnt real one, but it's good to practice before you go for an actual one.

The student asked what is/are the current issues about NHS that i aware of. i wasn't good in this so i gave a lauzy answer and i was laughing at myself inside me at that time:biggrin: .
Reply 13
ANYONE!! GOT AN INTERVIEW IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!
Reply 14
all i know is that schools have value added which is when they predict what grades you should get when you enter the school and they see how much the school has improved your level of ability. don't know what its like in the NHS though.

Latest

Trending

Trending