Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Motivation to get through IB

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just landed an IB role and let's face it (I couldn't say it in interview) but like most people I'm only doing this for the cash bcos there isn't any joy in sitting in front of excel for 18 hours a day with a bunch of shallow *******s that just want to step on you to get their next armani suit. Any tips from anyone on how to survive the daily grind? Need to do this so that I can get out of this game by my mid thirties

Cheers
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So...you're sacrificing 10 years of your life, in order to make enough money to sacrifice the rest of your life? Or did you not think it was funny that it is only a small group of IB bankers that retire at 30? You realise that the system is likely to catch you out because your lack of motivation WILL reflect in your results?

I don't know, happiness is a funny thing. I hope this works for you, but I have a feeling it won't make you as happy in the long term as you think it will.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTazx)
    So...you're sacrificing 10 years of your life, in order to make enough money to sacrifice the rest of your life? Or did you not think it was funny that it is only a small group of IB bankers that retire at 30? You realise that the system is likely to catch you out because your lack of motivation WILL reflect in your results?

I don't know, happiness is a funny thing. I hope this works for you, but I have a feeling it won't make you as happy in the long term as you think it will.
    Yeah well I figured like this-there are no good options. I can either work a job I hate and not get paid or I can work a job I hate and get paid. 90% of people work a job they hate and don't get paid well-so at least I'm not in that position. This is life-it's tough!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver9)
    Yeah well I figured like this-there are no good options. I can either work a job I hate and not get paid or I can work a job I hate and get paid. 90% of people work a job they hate and don't get paid well-so at least I'm not in that position. This is life-it's tough!
    i think your motivation should be earning as much money as you can before you are able to retire and enjoy the rest of your life in whatever way you want. the alternative is doing a poor job, getting sacked or not much money out of it, hating it and working a lot... and wondering where your life went wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try and break into another area of IB that you find to be more dynamic and interesting. Since you've already secured one type of IB job, switching roles should be hard but certainly not impossible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i think your motivation should be earning as much money as you can before you are able to retire and enjoy the rest of your life in whatever way you want. the alternative is doing a poor job, getting sacked or not much money out of it, hating it and working a lot... and wondering where your life went wrong.
    you are just sad. you know they say, you work to live, not live to work.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    how am i sad? i gave him advice based on what he wants to get out of his life. that does not mean i agree with his idea of a good life.

also, why is it sad if people enjoy working/want to work hard to get money? for some people that is living and it's what drives them through life. it's not sad, people are INDIVIDUAL and DIFFERENT.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    who are you to judge? You know the government are raising the pension age to 70? why the **** would anyone want to be grafting at that age. Whilst retiring at 30 is unrealistic, retiring at 45-50 is more then realistic.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.