The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Left Hand Drive
Its trending!

With #NotTheFirstNorTheLast :biggrin:
Original post by SophiaKeuning
No, I shan't grow up. Maybe you should loosen up? Penantic old man. This universal utopia does not exist. Therefore why not take advantage that most people do what they're told. And oh my! The London riots! Filthy chavs! Scum! Not. They're a result of this world we live in. So just carry on doing what we do. Do you see the future? Capitalism has already run it's life, it was great when we first started and radios and cars and lipsticks were awesome. But eveyone knows it can't go it. Anyway, before biting at me take a look at what I said above please.

What, because Soviet Russia, Cuba and North Korea are all such great places to live?

In ANY society, most people will do as they are told. It doesn't matter if you have modern-day capitalism, or anarchy (which will quickly develop into tyranny by the strongest). And in ANY society, there will be some scum - like the London rioters - who buck the trend. Maybe you don't think "radios and cars and lipsticks are awesome", but that's only because you're used to them, and other products of capitalism, and you take them for granted. If we stuck you in any communist, 20th century country, you would see how **** life is without capitalism. And don't tell me that the USSR, Mao's China etc. were not communist, because they were; they were the natural results of an impractical and unworkable system of government, which have arisen every time that system is tried.
Original post by IB_19
OP, in short, you're an idiot.

This seems to me that you regret what you did due to your parents reaction...not because what you did was immoral.

Why were you stealing from Boots anyway? "It just happened" isn't an acceptable answer.

well it was illegal... whether it was immoral or not is a different issue, they are not the same thing.
Reply 123
Original post by dellprinter

Does it mean nob?

Calling my username stupid yet you don't even know where it comes from? Nice going ass. Oh, and dellprinter? Seriously?
Original post by JongKey
Calling my username stupid yet you don't even know where it comes from? Nice going ass. Oh, and dellprinter? Seriously?

Thanks much appreciated
Reply 125
Original post by a.partridge
well it was illegal... whether it was immoral or not is a different issue, they are not the same thing.

I didn't say they were. However, in my eyes stealing is immoral.
I work at boots and in our store we lose £5000 a week because of shoplifiting... Even though everyone keeps saying boots is a multimillion pound company it doesn't affect anyone it does, if the shop starts making a loss, employees cannot be kept so someone will get made redudant.

I could kind of understand you if you had no money and were stealing food or something but the fact you had the money and were stealing cosmetics makes me think you deserve whatever happens. Treat people like you'd want to be treated and learn from your mistakes.
Original post by IB_19
I didn't say they were. However, in my eyes stealing is immoral.

Well you did say it was immoral, that's why it was a quote...

My point is that people don't seem to realise what morality actually means and instead think that whats moral is what's legal...

Where law is something largely black and white and is made by averagely intelligent people... morality is something highly intelligent people have been pondering for centuries...

If you're some religious fundamentalist type, or just ignorant, you might think that stealing has to be immoral... but if you actually read a few books you might see that calling things moral and immoral in the general case is pointless!
Looking forward to hearing from OP to see what happens.

Until then, I'm making up my own story, currently involving a very dramatic struggle with OP refusing to open the door, police forcing entry and cuffing her, saying "you have the right to remain silent" and OP choosing to ignore that right and screaming blue murder while being dragged to van with her hair.

They may also have brought dogs.

I have a feeling the "real" story is going to be a bit of a letdown, actually :-(.
Reply 129
Original post by number1student
Yep I totally agree-for the rest of your life, you will have to declare that on your CRB form. Also, in this current climate- you will find it incredibly hard to find a job. People without any criminal record- are not getting jobs. So there is no chance- if you have one. Sorry to scare you, but that is how it is...

Wow, don't listen to these people. They know absolutely nothing, obviously. You will generally only need to declare it if you are going into a job working with vulnerable people, law, things like that. Even so, declaring it will NOT stop them from hiring you. In some cases if you can really explain how it has taught you something valuable it might even go in your favour. It will not prevent you from going to university either. If you want to do certain courses such as social work, nursing etc. then you will need to declare it and have a CRB check but, again, it might even work in your favour. I got a reprimand for shoplifting when I was 16 - I'm 19 now and have had CRBs to work in the care sector (with vulnerable people) and have just had an offer from Bath university to study social work there. Ignore these people please! Shoplifting when you're 17 is a minor offence. Employers/ admissions tutors will be looking more for your skills etc. than whether you once made the silly mistake of shoplifting when you were young and naive - it's a mistake that many make, so don't worry.

Oh, and with regards to "you will have to declare it for the rest of your life" - that is nonsense. It is written of after 5 years.
Reply 130
Original post by Sir Fox
That poor multi-million pound company has to pay salaries and insurance to staff etc. I do not know Boots since I'm not British, but how the heck do people come to the conclusion that it is righteous to steal from someone just because he/she/it is rich?!

My father's company loses several tens of thousands every year due to shoplifting. He works 60 hours a week, pays his staff above average salaries and re-invests most of the profit into the company, so the profit is not maximized to satisfy rich, greedy investors. Now tell me it is justified to steal from shops just because they are so rich! :angry:

he pays his staff above average? wow that's nice of him. it'd be even nicer if they got the SAME pay as him don't you think? in hourly terms of course. he re-invests the profit to..... oh yeah, gain more profit. s'all about monetary gain isn't it really. i'm sorry that he looses tens of thousands every year due to shoplifting but if the company was suffering THAT bad from it, it would go under. and with the amount of money your father is making to pay "above average salaries", i'm pretty sure the company is not suffering.

do not get me wrong, i do not agree with stealing at all. but i refuse to sympathise with big businesses, like Boots, who exploit their workers for their own gain.
Reply 131
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Oh yes because individual stores have head office do everything for them? The sales (and losses) an individual store records affects how it runs. First of all the amount of stock it orders but more importantly- staff wages, staff hours, staff recruitment. The major reason why stores are understaffed and not hiring is poor sales. But shoplifting on top of that? It it still hurting a shop and affecting people.

This is the same attitude where people who are given too much change won't bring it back to 'big corporations making a profit' when the till operator responsible could get a warning or have to pay it back themselves. You're hurting an individual store before the faceless company.

can i just say i used to work for Primark, and i really never saw any evidence of the store being affected due to stealing? in terms of hours, recruitment and wages. the current economy affect stores more, and greedy bosses reflect the low pay. so i disagree with the whole "stealing from big businesses affects people" unless you can show me otherwise.

the till operator getting a warning/paying it back themselves is policy of the company though. so it's the store/company hurting the till operator not the individual. plus, the till operator should be more careful when giving out change, no? can you name a big company that actually does that please? genuine question, i've never heard of it in big corporations personally.
Original post by 3ka_xo
he pays his staff above average? wow that's nice of him. it'd be even nicer if they got the SAME pay as him don't you think? in hourly terms of course. he re-invests the profit to..... oh yeah, gain more profit. s'all about monetary gain isn't it really. i'm sorry that he looses tens of thousands every year due to shoplifting but if the company was suffering THAT bad from it, it would go under. and with the amount of money your father is making to pay "above average salaries", i'm pretty sure the company is not suffering.

do not get me wrong, i do not agree with stealing at all. but i refuse to sympathise with big businesses, like Boots, who exploit their workers for their own gain.

Because the person that starts and maintains the company takes on considerable personal risk and has to have a lot of talent. To work in a branch of boots you don't need either of those.

It seems people would rather be in the world where people have nothing than one where they have some and others have more. Society is not your mum and dad it doesn't need to treat you equally and pretend everyone is worth the same

If you focus too much on pay equality you take away the incentive for industry to grow. If you don't take risks and you're not academically excellent or having some kind of talent - don't expect to make as much as the people that do.
Have you seen the security guards in Boots? Their eyes are everywhere, they don't miss a thing, you were so stupid to do that in Boots, and £20 worth of stuff!? If it was like one or two eye shadows or something then you would have just been banned or something (and of course have to pay for it) but £20 is actually a lot, I heard somewhere that they aren't allowed to call the police if it's under £10.

You were stupid.
Reply 134
Original post by a.partridge
Because the person that starts and maintains the company takes on considerable personal risk and has to have a lot of talent. To work in a branch of boots you don't need either of those.

It seems people would rather be in the world where people have nothing than one where they have some and others have more. Society is not your mum and dad it doesn't need to treat you equally and pretend everyone is worth the same

If you focus too much on pay equality you take away the incentive for industry to grow. If you don't take risks and you're not academically excellent or having some kind of talent - don't expect to make as much as the people that do.

ok so, i'm talented academically. i go to state school and i am poor, by government standards anyway (ema). a boy who went to public school is talented academically also, let's say exactly the same amount of talent. who is more likely to become head of a huge company do you think? and why is that? money, not talent. money gave him a private education, money made him able to begin his business, money allowed him to go through university at relative ease etc.etc. society is not meritocratic, despite what you believe.

oh and i would rather be in a world where people have everything, not nothing, rather than some more than others.
Original post by number1student
Yep I totally agree-for the rest of your life, you will have to declare that on your CRB form. Also, in this current climate- you will find it incredibly hard to find a job. People without any criminal record- are not getting jobs. So there is no chance- if you have one. Sorry to scare you, but that is how it is...

Stfu you absolute nerdy retard.

People on this forum just have no idea about anything. They're wrapped up in cotton wool revising all day; don't listen to a anything they say. I can totally sympathise with not wanting to give away your money to some corrupt millionaires overcharging their goods. It makes it even more tempting considering the fact so many shops have absolutely crap security measures. I know people who have accidentally stolen stuff ffs. I'm not justifying stealing, just helping people think of it from a different point of view.

I've been caught before in New Look with some jewellery. It was late on a Saturday, I just apologised immediately and pretended I didn't realise I had it, and I got away with it.

What did you try and steal and how? Guarantee it will be a rookie error.
Original post by 3ka_xo
ok so, i'm talented academically. i go to state school and i am poor, by government standards anyway (ema). a boy who went to public school is talented academically also, let's say exactly the same amount of talent. who is more likely to become head of a huge company do you think? and why is that? money, not talent. money gave him a private education, money made him able to begin his business, money allowed him to go through university at relative ease etc.etc. society is not meritocratic, despite what you believe.

oh and i would rather be in a world where people have everything, not nothing, rather than some more than others.

Private education or not, getting good A levels not difficult. You don't need fancy education for A level because when it comes down to it there is a textbook containing all the information you need to know and if you have a room, some paper and a pen then you have no excuse not to be able to learn it (I got A*'s in maths physics and chemistry and my teachers didn't help a bit it's all about the textbook). What do you think happens at private schools they just get injected with information? No, of course not it's still reading the book and remembering it.

You can get good A levels no matter how poor you are. Once you've got good A levels you're into a good university and have a good a chance as any of getting a job at the end of it. And the rest is history. Stop making excuses for failure.

P.s we all want to live in a world where everyone has everything, but that's just not reality now is it so grow up and get on with it stop kicking up a fuss - you're already on free money from the government what more do you want. If you get paid the same for starting a business as for working behind the til, nobody would start businesses , nobody would have anything. Don't become an economist.
Reply 137
Original post by lovely_me

Original post by lovely_me
Stfu you absolute nerdy retard.

People on this forum just have no idea about anything. They're wrapped up in cotton wool revising all day; don't listen to a anything they say. I can totally sympathise with not wanting to give away your money to some corrupt millionaires overcharging their goods. It makes it even more tempting considering the fact so many shops have absolutely crap security measures. I know people who have accidentally stolen stuff ffs. I'm not justifying stealing, just helping people think of it from a different point of view.

I've been caught before in New Look with some jewellery. It was late on a Saturday, I just apologised immediately and pretended I didn't realise I had it, and I got away with it.

What did you try and steal and how? Guarantee it will be a rookie error.

'A rookie error'

Can we infer you have some sort of expertise in the area of Shoplifting L_M? :sly:

EDIT : And how do you know or even define the word 'corrupt' when the business is private? :l
Original post by Besakt
She knew it was wrong, yet she still did it, only way I would see this justified is if it was steal or die, which I'm guessing is unlikely.

It's really not that bigger deal... I'm sure you've done plenty of 'wrong' things in your life
Original post by katerawlinson
Ok, I know we shouldn't of done it but.... It happened.

Today me and one of my friends got caught shoplifting in boots. We were taken into a security room by the security guard.

We offered to pay for the stuff (about £20) he wasn't having any of it... He got the manager to come and she said we would be banned from the store, fair enough, but also said they were going to call the police and have us arrested....

After about 30 minuets, the police arrived. We were both handcuffed, (as the door was open).

The police went off and had a chat with the manager, after about another 10 minuets, the came back and said that they were going to do 'street bail'.

This basically means that we have 'technically' been arrested for theft, and the police will come and take us into custody at a pre arranged time from our homes...

We asked if we could not be taken in now, the police were on foot patrol and no vans available....

Im dreading telling my parents that, the police are going to come to the house and collect me tomorrow @ 10am...

I asked them if I have to go in a police car, and he said no. And replied you'll have to go in a van... Do you think the'll put me in a restraint handcuffs tomorrow? Will I have to be put in a cell or do you think the'll just interview me and deal with it...

My friend is getting picked up tomorrow at 10:30, so I presume the'll pick me up and then her...

Argh!

With all due respect to other posters, you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. You have not signed a caution and need to get urgent legal advice and representation from a solicitor. If you accept a caution it will be on your record when you apply for jobs / courses and will always show up in an enhanced CRB check for the rest of your life.
See a solicitor.
Whether you have committed a crime is not a moral issue but a legal one. Were you interviewed under caution?
Were you stopped by security inside the shop? If so, you could argue that you were not stealing and if outside the shop, it depends on your intentions.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest