The Student Room Group

How te get an A* for edexcel further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimmy_M
I've always checked from grade boundaries.. They always have a section for A2 units and AS separately.

On another note, someone please answer this?

I technically have the grades to get A* A*, but it would require edexcel putting M1 and S1 to standard maths (which are my 2 lowest I believe) and then the rest to FM. Would this happen or would they put my highest two to standard and then just leave FM with the rest, resulting in A* A?

I got this reply from Edexcel a few months ago but I have been advised by many people that they have not upheld this and allocated units seemingly randomly so take it with a pinch of salt.

Re: Incident #2456767:
A level Further Mathematics has to contain FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 but the other units used will depend on which units have been used to calculate your A level Mathematics result.

You can't pick which units we use but the system automatically allocates units in order to maximise your grades. The first step looks at all of the allowed combinations for A level Mathematics and calculates the highest grade you can get using the fewest UMS marks. Next, the system calculates the highest grade you can get for A level Further Mathematics using the remaining units. Finally, the system reallocates units to maximise the UMS score for your A level Mathematics without changing the grade for your A level Further Mathematics.

In order for the calculation to work correctly, it is important that you cash-in for A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics at the same time (Even if you have already cashed in for A level Mathematics). -RL
Reply 21
Original post by reckless_llama
I got this reply from Edexcel a few months ago but I have been advised by many people that they have not upheld this and allocated units seemingly randomly so take it with a pinch of salt.

A level Further Mathematics has to contain FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 but the other units used will depend on which units have been used to calculate your A level Mathematics result.

You can't pick which units we use but the system automatically allocates units in order to maximise your grades. The first step looks at all of the allowed combinations for A level Mathematics and calculates the highest grade you can get using the fewest UMS marks. Next, the system calculates the highest grade you can get for A level Further Mathematics using the remaining units. Finally, the system reallocates units to maximise the UMS score for your A level Mathematics without changing the grade for your A level Further Mathematics.

In order for the calculation to work correctly, it is important that you cash-in for A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics at the same time (Even if you have already cashed in for A level Mathematics). -RL

Ah thank you, that helps a lot!! :smile:
Original post by reckless_llama

Original post by Jimmy_M
Ah thank you, that helps a lot!! :smile:

It is safest to also cash in your AS Maths (8371) so that no units are "locked in" to A level Maths because they are in AS Maths.

Whoops, a split infinitive. But then I do Maths, not English.
Reply 23
Original post by tiny hobbit
It is safest to also cash in your AS Maths (8371) so that no units are "locked in" to A level Maths because they are in AS Maths.

Whoops, a split infinitive. But then I do Maths, not English.

I'm not sure what this even means, or how to "cash in" my maths.. I mean, I did AS Maths last year and I'm doing A2 maths with AS and A2 FM this year, so I'd have to cash it in to get the best grades so that my M1 could be moved to FM possibly??
Original post by Jimmy_M
I'm not sure what this even means, or how to "cash in" my maths.. I mean, I did AS Maths last year and I'm doing A2 maths with AS and A2 FM this year, so I'd have to cash it in to get the best grades so that my M1 could be moved to FM possibly??

Yes. Your exams office will have entered you for 9371 and 9372 as well as for the separate units. That's A level Maths and Further Maths. If you might want you to move M1 to FM, they also need to enter you for 8371, AS Maths. Go and ask your exams office if they've done it. If not they can do it now - it doesn't cost anything.
Reply 25
Yes. Your exams office will have entered you for 9371 and 9372 as well as for the separate units. That's A level Maths and Further Maths. If you might want you to move M1 to FM, they also need to enter you for 8371, AS Maths. Go and ask your exams office if they've done it. If not they can do it now - it doesn't cost anything.

Well M1 is my second lowest AS unit I believe (predicting about 90% for S1) with D1 my lowest, so it wouldn't make a difference right? D1 and M1 would make my standard maths with the rest going to FM and ss long as S2 goes to FM I should get A*A*, so in that situation, I should leave it right?
Original post by Jimmy_M
Well M1 is my second lowest AS unit I believe (predicting about 90% for S1) with D1 my lowest, so it wouldn't make a difference right? D1 and M1 would make my standard maths with the rest going to FM and ss long as S2 goes to FM I should get A*A*, so in that situation, I should leave it right?

If your predictions are correct, it won't matter. It won't do any harm to cash-in AS Maths again (and your exams office ought to have done it automatically).
Reply 27
If your predictions are correct, it won't matter. It won't do any harm to cash-in AS Maths again (and your exams office ought to have done it automatically).

Alright, I'll ask them about it anyway, just in case my predictions are incorrect.. Thanks so much, you were a lot of help :smile:
Right, here's the correct information - I've seen various truths and not-so-truths on here:

Three modules for each qualification.

A* in (normal) mathematics: Grade A overall (average) for AS & A2 units combined (six modules), plus an additional 90% ums average over C3 and C4.

A* in further mathematics: Grade A overall (average) for further mathematics AS & A2 units combined (six modules), plus an additional 90% ums average over ALL THREE A2 units (note not two like in normal mathematics).

The A2 units for further mathematics can be any EXCEPT the following: FP1, S1, D1, M1, C1-4.
The AS further mathematics units consist of: FP1 (compulsory), two applications (any, but, of course, not ones previously used in normal mathematics).
The A2 further mathematics units consist of: FP2 (compulsory), and EITHER two applications not on the forbidden A2 list above, OR FP3 plus one application not on the forbidden A2 list above.
Original post by julianhowes
Right, here's the correct information - I've seen various truths and not-so-truths on here:

A* in (normal) mathematics: Grade A overall (average) for AS & A2 units combined (six modules), plus an additional 90% ums average over C3 and C4.

A* in further mathematics: Grade A overall (average) for further mathematics AS & A2 units combined (six modules), plus an additional 90% ums average over ALL THREE A2 units (note not two like in normal mathematics).

The A2 units for further mathematics can be any EXCEPT the following: FP1, S1, D1, M1, C1-4.
The AS further mathematics units consist of: FP1 (compulsory), two applications (any, but, of course, not ones previously used in normal mathematics).
The A2 further mathematics units consist of: FP2 (compulsory), and EITHER two applications not on the forbidden A2 list above, OR FP3 plus one application not on the forbidden A2 list above.

So if I had to make M2 an A2 unit, could M3 be an AS unit?

Just to correct your "correct" information, you don't have to do FP2 in FM, you have to do at least one of FP2 and FP3. Neither of these units depends on the other, so doing FP3 but not FP2 is an option.

It's compulsory in the sense that you have to do either it or FP3, but it doesn't have to be one of the A2 units that goes towards your A*. If your best three A2 modules are applied ones, they can give you the A* in further maths: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=432405&d=1434736389

I think

EDIT: TeeEm confirms what I've just said here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3498829
Just wanted to clear this up for anyone that found this thread via google search and got worried. (like I did, after seeing the grade boundary for an A* in FP2 this year was 71/75)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dhamm
It's compulsory in the sense that you have to do either it or FP3

So not compulsory then.
Are you able to change the way your modules are arranged or 'cashed-in'?
I was given M1/2 as my applied modules in maths but if M2 was given to further maths (swapped with say D1/S1) I'd have 272 across FP2/M2/S2 and therefore be eligible for an a*? Neither combination would affect my grade in single maths
don't they put your best applied units to a level maths and your worst units to further maths?
Just to correct your "correct" information, you don't have to do FP2 in FM, you have to do at least one of FP2 and FP3. Neither of these units depends on the other, so doing FP3 but not FP2 is an option.

fp3 depends on fp2 somewhat. doing fp2 and fp3 can boost your fp3 grade slightly. plus why do the harder module and not the easier one?
Reply 36
Original post by kyfer-19
fp3 depends on fp2 somewhat. doing fp2 and fp3 can boost your fp3 grade slightly. plus why do the harder module and not the easier one?

Not really. Their content is just different; you could argue that by doing both you get better at handling further pure material in general but really you can do just as well taking either or both; it's ultimately your preparation for the individual module that determines your grade (along with performance on the day obviously) as there's no real overlap. A reason to do FP3 is that lately FP2 has boundaries which are very high, FP3 has boundaries which are very low. There are the more meticulous/not very smart types like myself who perform better in low-difficulty, high-boundaries exams, but a lot of people have a better time with more challenging material that allows more errors.
Original post by Starvation13
Eat the solomon papers

Unless I've missed something, there aren't any for the current Edexcel FP papers.
Reply 38
Where did you find this? If you can, can you send the link? Thank you
is it possible to get an A in regular maths then an A* in further maths???

Quick Reply

Latest