The Student Room Group

How te get an A* for edexcel further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jonny5263
is it possible to get an A in regular maths then an A* in further maths???

Yes it is.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes it is.

how do you know may i ask?
Reply 42
how do you know may i ask?

Well there are many example cases e.g. Maths:C1 90C2 100C3 85 C4 85 S1 90S2 90Clearly an A but not an A*Further Maths:FP1 90M1 80M2 80 FP2 100FP3 90S3 95 You have 90+ over three modules in Further Maths and obviously 80+ overall giving an A* | | | Jesus ****ing christ TSR **** your formatting (I spaced all that out neatly when typing it)
Im going to be doing FP1,2,3 D1 M2 S2, how do i get the a*
Well there are many example cases e.g. Maths:C1 90C2 100C3 85 C4 85 S1 90S2 90Clearly an A but not an A*Further Maths:FP1 90M1 80M2 80 FP2 100FP3 90S3 95 You have 90+ over three modules in Further Maths and obviously 80+ overall giving an A* | | | Jesus ****ing christ TSR **** your formatting (I spaced all that out neatly when typing it)

dont they just move the highest ums modules to a level Mathematics?
Reply 45
dont they just move the highest ums modules to a level Mathematics?

no it goes Maths grade, Further maths grade, Maths UMS, Further Maths UMSIn this situation obviously no combo yields an A* for Maths. Also you can't have modules that end in 3 in Maths and I don't think you can have mismatched combos like M1 S2 for instance (M1 S1 is okay, I mean a 2 without a corresponding 1)
no it goes Maths grade, Further maths grade, Maths UMS, Further Maths UMSIn this situation obviously no combo yields an A* for Maths. Also you can't have modules that end in 3 in Maths and I don't think you can have mismatched combos like M1 S2 for instance (M1 S1 is okay, I mean a 2 without a corresponding 1)

cheers for responding, do you know anyone who has been in this position?
Reply 47
cheers for responding, do you know anyone who has been in this position?

Not personally. I've heard about it happening.
Original post by metrize
Im going to be doing FP1,2,3 D1 M2 S2, how do i get the a*

If all of your units are being re-cashed it is not something you need to worry about.
Not personally. I've heard about it happening.

cheers mate
Original post by reckless_llama
I got this reply from Edexcel a few months ago but I have been advised by many people that they have not upheld this and allocated units seemingly randomly so take it with a pinch of salt.

Re: Incident #2456767:
A level Further Mathematics has to contain FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 but the other units used will depend on which units have been used to calculate your A level Mathematics result.

You can't pick which units we use but the system automatically allocates units in order to maximise your grades. The first step looks at all of the allowed combinations for A level Mathematics and calculates the highest grade you can get using the fewest UMS marks. Next, the system calculates the highest grade you can get for A level Further Mathematics using the remaining units. Finally, the system reallocates units to maximise the UMS score for your A level Mathematics without changing the grade for your A level Further Mathematics.

In order for the calculation to work correctly, it is important that you cash-in for A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics at the same time (Even if you have already cashed in for A level Mathematics). -RL

What if the system made a mistake ?

Say it was posisble to get A*A rather than A*B by putting the weaker applied mdules with normal maths and using the strength of the C1-C4 to maintain 480+ UMS and A* for plain Maths?
Hey guys, sorry to interfere! I was just wondering, what if we do FP1, FP2 and M1 at AS, and FP3, M2, FP4/D1 at A2, how would that work out, seeing as the majority of people say FP2 is an A2 module?..
Original post by keepyourapology
Hey guys, sorry to interfere! I was just wondering, what if we do FP1, FP2 and M1 at AS, and FP3, M2, FP4/D1 at A2, how would that work out, seeing as the majority of people say FP2 is an A2 module?..

FP2 is an A2 module, as is FP3, FP4 where available and M2. Your 3 best of those 4 results would be used to decide whether an A* is awarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
FP2 is an A2 module, as is FP3, FP4 where available and M2. Your 3 best of those 4 results would be used to decide whether an A* is awarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I have another question however. If FP2 is an A2 module, what will they use to calculate my overall AS grade? I do S1, C1&C2 as well, but obviously all of those contribute to the Core Mathematics grade..
Original post by keepyourapology
Thank you so much! I have another question however. If FP2 is an A2 module, what will they use to calculate my overall AS grade? I do S1, C1&C2 as well, but obviously all of those contribute to the Core Mathematics grade..

FP1 plus any other two units not used in Maths will be used to calculate the AS FM grade. If FP2 is used for your AS it is still part of your overall A level result and can still contribute to the A* decision. Note this thread is about Edexcel that don't have FP4.
how long is a-level maths
Original post by omichael
how long is a-level maths

Don't know what you mean?
Like all other A levels, maths is designed to be studied over a period of 2 academic years.
Students who also do further maths have extra lessons and may complete it in 1 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Don't know what you mean?
Like all other A levels, maths is designed to be studied over a period of 2 academic years.
Students who also do further maths have extra lessons and may complete it in 1 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is it possible to learn further maths while doing c3 and c4 and s2. if possible within a year.
Original post by omichael
is it possible to learn further maths while doing c3 and c4 and s2. if possible within a year.

Yes it is possible.
It's a lot of work
Your success will depend on your aptitude for more challenging maths
Your school may not be willing to let you do it and so you might have to teach yourself some or all modules.
FP1 only depends on C1&2 knowledge. An AS in FM should be a reasonable goal, a full A level would be a challenge depending on what else you are doing and what support you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Is it possible to take the same application units for a level maths and further maths
E.g - Alevel maths- C1 C2 C3 C4 + S1 M1
AS further maths - FP1 + S1 M1

Quick Reply

Latest