The Student Room Group

Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. (The video that went viral)

Scroll to see replies

Poor girl, what an awful parent!
Quite right.

Silly cow needs to get real. I cancelled all my uni classes and social commitments this week at two seconds notice, and spent the next forty eight hours dividing my time caring for my mother (including washing, dressing, feeding) and caring for my sister (including supervision of washing, entertainment, feeding) as well as managing my own personal affairs and managing my mother's day to day issues (cancelling appts, talking to the hospital, talking to relatives, organising arrangements with social work, surgery, neighbours). I've met *children* - children aged seven, eight, once even five years old - who do very similar. I met an eight year old who with her nine and twelve year old brothers was caring for her wheelchair bound mother.

I've never, ever, heard them complain. In fact, they often see it as their job and duty - we are brought into the world by our parents, we are cared for by them and we are loved unconditionally. It is only right that if one is able to do so, they ought to be helping out in any way they can.

I certainly never had a personal computer at age fifteen - if I wanted to type, I used the school library computer, I used the the family PC, I used my grandma's. I had a part time job - I scrubbed floors for eight hours a weekend, twice a shift I mopped and hoovered an entire shop, I cleaned my church regularly with my grandma from about age ten, I worked in voluntary positions from age thirteen up .. There is no reason for her to not have some form of job or do some kind of work - she needs to get real, wake up to the real world, or she will have huge problems in later life.

I have no problem with a child complaining if they are blatantly suffering abuse however this child isn't. Dad certainly loves her, they seem affluent, well spoken, clean, plenty of money, even a cleaning lady..

I can only hope that one day she realises her mistake. Better to lose a couple of files and have to rewrite them than grow up and expect to do nothing for others.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's fake. The guy is doing it for the money from adverts.
Parenting Dixie-style. :ahee:

Still, why would someone complain about their parents to other people and why is a lady cleaning their house as a, "favour"?

and did he miss one of those shots (number 3 I think) ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by KimKallstrom
No school kid actually needs a laptop. It's a luxury. If she wants a new one, she can get a job and save up for one. Kids are pussies these days.

This is why China is winning. British and American kids are a bunch of drips these days.

The dad there was right about everything. Including the punishment. She was lucky as well to have even had a laptop bought for her in the first place. Spoiled brat.

Funnily enough I agreed with him with regard to how deplorable her actions were and so on, though from the perspective of a student who is rather shamefully reliant on their laptop, losing important files would be disasterous. Personally, I believe other forms of punishment may have been more suitable - such as grounding her, blocking Facebook from the laptop, requiring her to do extra chores, a lecture, etc.

Also, you have to wonder why she is so disobedient. Often children who are rude towards their parents were not prevented from an early age so they carry on those characteristics. It's just a lack of discipline.

My views on this probably aren't too dissimilar from yours, we probably disagree on the way the father responded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by PendulumBoB
Still, why would someone complain about their parents to other people and why is a lady cleaning their house as a, "favour"?

*Unfortunately* I am aware of people who do complain about their parents to others - I suppose it's for attention or a form of rebellion. Which is pathetic as it only makes them seem childish and ungrateful.
Original post by IB_19
Funnily enough I agreed with him with regard to how deplorable her actions were and so on, though from the perspective of a student who is rather shamefully reliant on their laptop, losing important files would be disasterous. Personally, I believe other forms of punishment may have been more suitable - such as grounding her, blocking Facebook from the laptop, requiring her to do extra chores, a lecture, etc.

Also, you have to wonder why she is so disobedient. Often children who are rude towards their parents were not prevented from an early age so they carry on those characteristics. It's just a lack of discipline.

My views on this probably aren't too dissimilar from yours, we probably disagree on the way the father responded.

It seems she got all of these too in one go!

Looking at the father, I don't think it's too likely that she was so disobedient because she wasn't prevented at a young age. I think perhaps she looked at her friends who probably were even more spoiled than she was.

I think the dad mentioned in the video that he previously punished her with a grounding and by taking Facebook away. That didn't seem to do the trick.

To conclude, some people need punishment. Others need GUNISHMENT.
Reply 27
If I did that to my parents, I would not see outside for at least a year.
Glad that guy isn;t my dad, getting all emo baby-rage at his daughter for comments she kept private from them.

Last I checked you don;t get to go parental rage on a kid over their own opinions on their own facebook.

Much less does it warrant shooting up her property.

Plus the whole public humiliation thing is just asking for outside inspection by the law/social services.

Edit: Negged for stating opinion, guess I know what the negger thought of the dad - a stand up role-model?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by daisydaffodil
x

Very well said.

I was in absolute shock when he read out that she said that she wouldn't bother taking care of them in their old age.

This is everything that is wrong with this generation.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Glad that guy isn;t my dad, getting all emo baby-rage at his daughter for comments she kept private from them.

Last I checked you don;t get to go parental rage on a kid over their own opinions on their own facebook.

Much less does it warrant shooting up her property.

Plus the whole public humiliation thing is just asking for outside inspection by the law/social services.

Edit: Negged for stating opinion, guess I know what the negger thought of the dad - a stand up role-model?

Definitely the kinda guy who makes his kids call him 'sir'.
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Definitely the kinda guy who makes his kids call him 'sir'.

Agreed.

I love my old man, he is one of the rocks in my life, but I already have enough people I have to give deference to, bosses, proffessors, people in positions of authority and at the end of the day I cherish most of all that I can go to my old man and talk to him about things like a young adult to an older one who has been through it all, not as a disciplinarian.

The daughter will probably survive the loss of her laptop and grounding but still, the video gives off the vibe the dad just got angry, and his actions seem more like pent up frustration with a normal teenage daughter: A girl who is rebelling a bit from her parents.

My sister was much worse than 'not doing chores' but my parents didn't go into epic crack-down mode and my sister is now a PhD in Genetics and doing quite well for herself.

That wasn't good parenting, the guy simply cracked.
Reply 32
The guy keeps going on about how rude and disrespectful the daughter has been, and how she will respect her parents after this.

If he thinks she's going to respect him now, he's deluding himself. More polite, and she might do anything they ask her, but only to avoid bullets appearing in more of her things. Respect is earned not enforced, and I bet any change in the way she behaves is going to disappear once she's no longer financially dependent on him.
Reply 33
Whilst I agree with his anger and his punishment, I really don't understand why he posted this for everyone to see. It's just humiliation, and to be honest it's hard to respect that. I agree with the strict punishment, destroying the laptop, all that - but that's family business, and now he's got millions of people thinking and talking about his daughter. Yes, his daughter needs to wake up, yes, he should punish her as he's done, but all that ought to stay within the family.
(edited 12 years ago)
If this is real, then I don't know how anyone can support him! He seems way too obsessed with what his daughter thinks of him, and it is unreasonable to sneak around her Facebook like that. Teenagers need space to rant about their parents, even if they are being pathetic. It's what teenagers are like and parents are suppose to accommodate that to a certain extent. I used to feel happy leaving my diaries out in my room because I knew my mum would never read them.She respected that I needed private space to be a stupid teenager sometimes. Our relationship is better because of that. He's just destroyed his relationship with his daughter.
Original post by IB_19
I believe what the girl supposedly did on Facebook was very disrespectful and he had every right to be upset, however shooting the laptop went too far and she may have needed it for her studies, etc. Other forms of punishment would have been better.

Man, the girls is 15. I had my first laptop at my 16th birthday, because I actually needed one, but still I could have used my parents computer.

She deserved it, and in order to burn money like that ($130 software), the dad would have to be genuinly upset. I mean, he spends money and time for her, and look how she thanks them?
Reply 36

x
And so the sob stories begin... When you're a 15 year old, you're going to write stupid stuff and vent online. You'd definitely be embarrassed if you looked back at your previous messages from that age. You can talk about how much worse you and everyone else you know has it until you're blue in the face, but guess what? It doesn't change how other people feel when they're frustrated after a bad day. And trying to publicly humiliate people never leads to respect, either. As another poster pointed out, she's more likely to be worried he'll pull a gun out if they ever argue again. You normally seem like a nice girl but that was a really stupid post - Use your brain, please. :smile:

By they way, those kids you know - When they're about the girl's age, that is when they're going to get bitter. It's pretty common with teenagers...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by El_Sid
Every time I see a post by you, you're complaining about how "spoiled" someone else is. I know because I recognise your DP. Get over yourself, dude, stop being so bitter.

And no, this isn't why China is "winning" - Over a dozen of them ignoring a dying infant is slightly worse than a teenage girl venting on Facebook.

I've only ever made like 3 posts about kids being spoiled in like 3 years and all of them were in one thread about education :s-smilie: Sure you've not confused me with someone else?
Original post by f1mad
Damn this **** went viral.

I first saw this when it had 2k views :O.

Reply 39

I've only ever made like 3 posts about kids being spoiled in like 3 years and all of them were in one thread about education :s-smilie: Sure you've not confused me with someone else?
That's probably my favorite South Park episode, so I recognise it every time. I would be surprised if anyone else had it and complained about the same thing (I've seen at least six under that DP, enough for me to make that connection before even reading your post.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending