Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

I regret leaving Islam.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Speak for yourself.

I think i'd find it hard to believe everything came into existence by itself or this reality never had a beginning. Especially today, when we have such little knowledge about existence in itself.

For me, many Atheists are atheists due to rebellion, be it big or small. Even in this thread, the guy says "religion causes wars, that's why I'm agnostic", this is rebellion, not critical thought.

And let's be honest here, if you really were an ex-Muslim, you'd know Muslims don't believe in Islam to be in a "cloud bubble" or to "feel apart of something". Many religions out there are considered faith for people, with Islam, it's so much more different to us. Our imaan (belief) is like no other, as a great man once said;

“If the veil of the Unseen were lifted up, my certainty would not increase.” - Ali(ra)

End of the day, you're in the same position as a religious person may be, in regards to what lies beyond grave. The difference is, the religious person has little to lose, and goes down in full content, whereas the Atheist has no idea whats comming.

And they say: "There is naught but our life of the world; we die and we live, and naught destroyeth us save time"; when they have no knowledge whatsoever of (all) that; they do but guess. [Q 45:24]

"Concerning what they are disputing [ie. God/Last Day/Prophethood etc.]? Concerning the Great News, About which they cannot agree? Verily, they shall soon (come to) know! Verily, they shall soon (come to) know!" [Quran 78:1-5]

wow! that is an amazing quote! i rate you for that! but my rates for the day have finished! but i guess no rate can match that!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kh)
    Do not spend ur life under the wrath of ALLAH, my brother/sister in Islam.
    Sounds like a horrible God to me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captn)
    Well the Bible says he did. I'm fairly sure the Quran does too, but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert.
    Here's a thought - if you have such a problem with the universe magically appearing from nothing, where did God magically appear from?
    Yep, Quran mentions it - it says he created it in 6 eras not 6 days. And for your 2nd question, he has no beginning and no end you just have to accept that. You wont accept that straight away, that will take time
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yomomalomo)
    Why don't you just go back to Islam then... If you like the principles or beliefs and it makes you happy then you may as well as believe in them for existential purposes. This is purely from an existential point of view, but if your life is worse/less enjoyable, static etc in this way, then why not live the way that makes you happy? I mean, if there is likely to be nothing, but believing there is something and this belief makes you happy, without severely affecting the happiness of others (i.e. net happiness increases) then by all means believe what you want.
    The thing is, belief in such things is often not a choice. You cannot say to the upset child after you've told them Father Christmas doesn't exist, that they can just believe in him anyway.......
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)
    But that's the thing. Einstein,Plato,Edison : they're all dead, they couldn't care less if we're remembering them now or not. The second they died it's over, finished, might as well have been bob the hobo. To us their contributions made a difference but to them now that they're dead they're useless.
    So you do not care if you live a selfish life and die a complete loner? I fail to see what relevance it has if you are going to some 'promised land/heaven' etc after you die. It is what you do during life that counts, or perhaps you have not realised that? Perhaps you find comfort in living a less than satisfactory lifetime in the vain hope that your idealisation of some greater world will become true, and then what? What are you even doing here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suarez7)
    Yep, Quran mentions it - it says he created it in 6 eras not 6 days. And for your 2nd question, he has no beginning and no end you just have to accept that. You wont accept that straight away, that will take time
    "You just have to accept it" doesn't really make a convincing argument if I'm honest.

Im just wondering, what's your view on evolution?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    The thing is, belief in such things is often not a choice. You cannot say to the upset child after you've told them Father Christmas doesn't exist, that they can just believe in him anyway.......
    Maybe, but belief is such a floaty thing anyway that you can do it, if I chop your arm of it is theoretically (and currently advancing practically) possible to get it back and this is something corporeal. The flexibility of human neurology of psychology is incredible. I can make you however I want you to be - I can make you a homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual, think you are a 5 year old girl, make you love apple juice, make you have an unfounded love for blue cubes - the list goes on. The latter can be done experimentally (though research on these things stopped quite a while ago due to ethical reasons) but the former, changing your mind to believe something different, is incredibly easy with time and focus.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dont Tread On Me)
    So basically, you want to be deluded into thinking that there's more to life?
    It is not that simple. I understand him perfectly. He has a very valid point there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself.

I think i'd find it hard to believe everything came into existence by itself
    But you're the one who believes this in the case of your Allah.....

For me, many Atheists are atheists due to rebellion, be it big or small. Even in this thread, the guy says "religion causes wars, that's why I'm agnostic", this is rebellion, not critical thought.
    Just as many Muslims are muslims due to rebellion or attention seeking. Whether it's rebelling against the liberal parents, or rebelling again Western culture, they kind solitude in the strict rules of Islam and the exotic culture that comes with it.

And let's be honest here, if you really were an ex-Muslim, you'd know Muslims don't believe in Islam to be in a "cloud bubble" or to "feel apart of something".
    This is the case of many many Muslims worldwide (maybe not you, but few Muslims are actually motivated by ideology like yourself).

The whole thing about communal prayer, synchronised fasting, mass pilgrimage is about being a part of something. One of the most well distributed Islamic pictures
    is that of millions of people at Hajj (running around a box)

Many religions out there are considered faith for people, with Islam, it's so much more different to us.
    That's what all people of faith deceive themselves into thinking.

End of the day, you're in the same position as a religious person may be, in regards to what lies beyond grave. The difference is, the religious person has little to lose, and goes down in full content, whereas the Atheist has no idea whats comming.
    Just because you think you know the future, doesn't mean you do. You exhibit the exact mentality that the OP is describing; the sense of something in the afterlife. But now he's approached things rationally, there is not going back into this delusion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before atheists/muslims scroll down and neg/pos me I'd like you to take a minute and understand what I'm trying to say.

Leaving Islam and religion in general is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I am not saying I believe in God now, I still don't and I am a full atheist that can't understand how religious people believe in such nonesence however I do now understand why religion is important to their lives and the lives of so many.
    Life is so empty without religion, when you're religious you're living in a cloud bubble that shields you from the harsh truth and for those of us on the outside we look at those on the inside with contempt but actually we should envy them.

I know not everyone who's left a religion feels the same but it really sucks when you KNOW that after death there is absolutely nothing and life is so empty.

Born atheists don't share this problem because they've never felt the inside of the bubble and don't know how comforting it so to know that even when everything else stops mattering you still have something to hold into.
    It's a bit like the difference between being born blind or turning blind afterwards, the born blinds cope much better.

Anyway, the point of this topic isn't to debate the existence of god.

It's just a message to religious people out there: You are lucky.
    I see your point, but perhaps you should embrace atheism (if you are really one) as a whole. It has that sucky part but it also has advantages. Like for instance, you don't dedicate your life to something you now don't believe in...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, Quran mentions it - it says he created it in 6 eras not 6 days.
    Sounds terribly uncertain and vague. I wonder why

And for your 2nd question, he has no beginning and no end you just have to accept that.
    Why can't matter have no beginning and no end too?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before atheists/muslims scroll down and neg/pos me I'd like you to take a minute and understand what I'm trying to say.

Leaving Islam and religion in general is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I am not saying I believe in God now, I still don't and I am a full atheist that can't understand how religious people believe in such nonesence however I do now understand why religion is important to their lives and the lives of so many.
    Life is so empty without religion, when you're religious you're living in a cloud bubble that shields you from the harsh truth and for those of us on the outside we look at those on the inside with contempt but actually we should envy them.

I know not everyone who's left a religion feels the same but it really sucks when you KNOW that after death there is absolutely nothing and life is so empty.

Born atheists don't share this problem because they've never felt the inside of the bubble and don't know how comforting it so to know that even when everything else stops mattering you still have something to hold into.
    It's a bit like the difference between being born blind or turning blind afterwards, the born blinds cope much better.

As a former extremely religious person, I fail to see how life suddenly becomes "empty" without God. I can only do things right now, while I'm on this earth. Life has whatever meaning you want it to. My life STILL has meaning because there are a lot of things I want to accomplish!

I'm not envious of blindly religious people. Why should I be envious of someone I believe is deluded? It doesn't make their life any better or worse
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but belief is such a floaty thing anyway that you can do it, if I chop your arm of it is theoretically (and currently advancing practically) possible to get it back and this is something corporeal.
    Not really a relevant analogy, since belief is a state of mind, but whether you have an arm or not is something physical.

The flexibility of human neurology of psychology is incredible. I can make you however I want you to be - I can make you a homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual, think you are a 5 year old girl, make you love apple juice, make you have an unfounded love for blue cubes - the list goes on. The latter can be done experimentally (though research on these things stopped quite a while ago due to ethical reasons) but the former, changing your mind to believe something different, is incredibly easy with time and focus.
    Maybe you are that suggestible, but not everybody is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captn)
    Well the Bible says he did. I'm fairly sure the Quran does too, but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert.
    Here's a thought - if you have such a problem with the universe magically appearing from nothing, where did God magically appear from?
    Nope both are wrong, Bible say's he created the world in 6 days. The Quran says he did in six periods of time.

But on your thought..your question defeats the purpose of the debate..The question would be if a God exists or not..and in this case, God would be the independent factor and the start of everything. Everything else which happens or exists is dependent upon the first INdependent existing.
    One of the properties of God is that he was not created..therefore the argument of 'where did God magically appear from?' is not feasible.

Once we get to the stage in a logical and rational thinking process that a God (Independent factor) must exist. We should stop further questioning it as we have no evidence or logical reasoning to further question the object. The human mind has limitations and we would also be deemed incapable of understanding the reasoning.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

I was never really religious so I don't know if what I'm about to say will be helpful:

Well, I've heard stories of people following Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism without believing in their respective god(s). Basically they just follow them because they like the teachings, culture, etc. behind them (so for instance, with Jesus, a Christian atheist may just consider him a normal human with a lot of good things to learn from, rather than a divine being), in fact in the Netherlands, 1/6 of the clergy are atheists. I'm not sure if there are many people who do the same with Islam, though. But still, I suppose it's a option for you, provided the others don't reject you from a mosque or what-have-you.

Alternatively, you could try and fill the void with something else, like a hobby or something.

Hope this helps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master S P)
    Nope both are wrong, Bible say's he created the world in 6 days. The Quran says he did in six periods of time.
    What a retarded way of communicating re: "six periods of time".

One of the properties of God is that he was not created..therefore the argument of 'where did God magically appear from?' is not feasible.
    And where is it independently determined that one of God's properties is that he was not created?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds terribly uncertain and vague. I wonder why

Why can't matter have no beginning and no end too?
    On your first reply - you can have your doubts if you wish.

On your second reply - matter must have a beginning as it is a dependent factor
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    On your first reply - you can have your doubts if you wish.
    Well it's just a retarded way of communicating, this 6 "eras" or 6 "periods of time".

(Original post by Master S P[/quote)
    On your second reply - matter must have a beginning as it is a dependent factor
    What do you mean?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really a relevant analogy, since belief is a state of mind, but whether you have an arm or not is something physical.

Maybe you are that suggestible, but not everybody is.
    There were experiments done back in the 60's, when homosexuality was frowned upon, to try and cure a man of homosexuality. Electrodes were placed on the part of this man's brain which are linked to pleasure. He was shown pictures of naked women and these parts of the brain were stimulated. When the procedure was finished, the man found that he was attracted to females and enjoyed having sex with them, however, he still also found men attractive and enjoyed having sex with them. It was postulated that if the procedure was redone, this time stimulating areas of the brain which link to pain or fear or disgust while showing pictures of naked men, the conversion from homosexual to heterosexual would be complete. However, the research was stopped.

Your brain is simply an incredible organic computer. A state of mind is just a a pattern of triggered neurons, nothing more. You could think yourself anything, but your subconscious causes you to believe something very deeply, making it hard to override. However, it is still possible to do so without any procedure required and has been scientifically proven to work when the specific procedure was underwent.

That experiment back in the 60's was incredibly crude and I think if research was continued we would be able to change the way we think and who we are just as easily as we can change what we are - e.g. creating artificial organs - that was the point of my analogy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a retarded way of communicating re: "six periods of time".

And where is it independently determined that one of God's properties is that he was not created?
    Im kind of answering two different answers and questions posed into two different posts, so let me combine them.

Firstly on your first reply on this quote: Please don't insult without sufficient reasoning as it deems you slightly arrogant and not willing to openly discuss. but no worries.

On your second reply on this point - Well in terms of in Islam - the 58th,68th and 96th names of Allah reflect this and his properties.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.