The Student Room Group

Need help picking A levels for a law degree

Hi
I am in my last year of high school currently, and have picked my A levels already.

I've picked: Psychology, Geography, Sociology and Law.

However, I recently decided that I want to do Law at uni and so Im not unsure if my A level choices were good enough for that.
I can change my A level choices at any time until september 2012.

So, I would like to know, do you think my A level options will be okay if i want to get into a law class at uni?

I have recently read that they prefer it if you DON'T pick law at A level, so I am thinking of changing it.. But I'm not sure what to change it to.

So please could you help me pick some good A levels for getting into law?

Please note, I am very bad at languages, and maths :smile:

Thank you!

EDIT: Here is a list of what courses my desired sixth form offer:

Economics
ICT
English language
English literature
Philosophy & Religious Studies
Law
Sociology
Psychology
Geography
Government & Politics
History
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I don't know much about this in honesty.
The only thing I can add is that a lot of people say an A level in history is really important :smile:
Reply 2
English Lit and History are really good to have. You can do whatever else you want.

Your sixth form doesn't offer Maths? You don't need it and it won't help specifically for law but that's weird..
Reply 3
Original post by tooosh
English Lit and History are really good to have. You can do whatever else you want.

Your sixth form doesn't offer Maths? You don't need it and it won't help specifically for law but that's weird..

Thanks for your suggestions, and thanks to everyone else for theirs - it does offer maths, but I didn't put it on the list since it's a definite no. Also left off some other definite no's such as theatre studies, drama, and languages.

Any more suggestions are welcome !
Reply 4
Original post by Smoose
Hi
I am in my last year of high school currently, and have picked my A levels already.

However, I recently decided that I want to do Law at uni and so Im not unsure if my A level choices were good enough for that.

So, I would like to know, do you think my A level options will be okay if i want to get into a law class at uni?

I have recently read that they prefer it if you DON'T pick law at A level, so I am thinking of changing it.. But I'm not sure what to change it to.

Thank you!

Economics
ICT
English language
English literature
Law
Sociology
Psychology
Geography
Government & Politics
History
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

Original post by tooosh

Toosh is right.......... you really need to pick 2 essay based subjects which will help your analytical ability and improving your writing skills.
Reply 5
I wouldn't do Law, the couple of interviewers I've met have made jokes about how they're relieved I didn't do it. It does also depend on what kind of unis you're wanting to go to. If it's top 10, I'd probably steer away from sociology because it's not considered hugely academic, however you could argue your way around that in your personal statement. I'm doing all sciences (i dropped english lit last year) and have got offers from good unis without any questions about my choice of a levels so i wouldn't worry. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Iqbal007
Toosh is right.......... you really need to pick 2 essay based subjects which will help your analytical ability and improving your writing skills.

Essay subjects are helpful but not the be all and end all. For me, they counted psychology as my one 'essay subject' so there's always ways of getting around it :smile:
Reply 7
I would do History, Govt and Politics and Law. For your fourth choice something fun or that you know you're good at. Both history and politics are very good prep. for constitutional and administrative Law. Whatever they say, if you do A-level Law you'll find your first year of law at uni fairly easy. To be honest it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you get good grades. I'm studing for the Gradute Diploma in Law with some people who did maths and science A levels, then science degrees before going on to do law.
Reply 8
IMO, your best bet would be to pick maybe Geography, Economics, History and maybe one of the sciences (excluding maths)

Good luck
Reply 9
Thi is copied from my other thread about a-levels for law. Geography is your only strong subject and it's not even that relevant to law, so on it's own with 3 softies you don't stand much chance . . .

I might not be interested in doing it now, but I was at one point, and my cousin is a solicitor so I thought I'd pass on what she told me. She now works as a solicitor in Liverpool after she graduated from Durham with a 1st a couple of years ago, after getting AAAb in; history, eng lit, french and maths at A-level.

1) 5+ a-levels aren't necessary. If a unis entry requirements are AAA(b+) which they often are for law, they probably won't let you in if you get BBBBb or what ever. It's quality not quantity they want to see.

2) A-level law isn't necessary. Unis like to teach you it their way so aren't that fussed about you having it, plus it's seen as a rather soft a-level! As is sociology.

3) To stand the best chance pick 4 strong, tradtional subjects. However, if there's something you really enjoy and can do well at that's seen as a 'semi-soft'/ not that relevant subject, you can usually get away with having it as your 4th AS which you don't take to A2. OR you could take it to A2 if you're predicted an A(*) in it and you're also predcited A*A or A*A* Especially if it varies your subject range. So you could do eng lang, if you're not doing literature at all, or something such as psychology or geography.

4) The traditional subjects unis like you to have. You should preferably have at least 2 of these and at least at A2; english literature (not language), history, classics, a foreign language*, RE/philosophy, politics.

5) If you want to vary your subjects but still have strong ones that unis respect and like then you could have two or three from 4) and then 1 from; chemistry, maths, economics

6) even if you've followed the above advice, you still need an awesome reference and PS and experience if you can get any.

* with foreign languages, I've seen some people fall into a classic pitfall on here, and this doesn't just apply to law. Take for instance Mandarin. Our gcses/a-levels are designed for people who've only been learning it for a couple of years. It would be a lot easier than the equivilent to gcses/ a-levels in mandarin in China. So if you're from China and have spoke it all your life, you're expected to get an A* with virtually no effort. So don't be surprised if unis reply saying that they won't count your predicted A* in A2 mandarin as one of your a-levels, altough some would.

BUT if you are say Chinese and Mandarin is you first language, if you then do A-level French for example, and do well, that really impresses unis! As it's designed to teach people with english as their first language, another language.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have offers from some top Law schools, and my A Levels are English Lit, History and Politics, with an AS in Maths.

I think Sociology is seen as quite a weak subject, and Law often isn't considering particularly strong either. That's not to say that there's no way you'll get into a decent university with those subjects, but i'd consider substituting at least one of those two with either History or English Lit, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by *Hakz*
IMO, your best bet would be to pick maybe Geography, Economics, History and maybe one of the sciences (excluding maths)

Good luck

How does geography or economics have any relevance to Law??

Economics maybe if you are wanting to become a solicitor but geography? OP is better off doing English
The four traditional subjects in which they will get the highest grades, one to be an essay subject carried on to A2.
I think the choice of which will be best here is to some extent affected by the status of the universities for which you intend applying.

If they are traditional universities, choose traditional subjects, perhaps History, English Lit, & RE. There isn't a university in the land that has a problem with any of these.

If you're shooting for a newer university, you'll find less prejudice against, say, Law, Sociology, & Psychology, which are perhaps the subjects you'd more enjoy studying.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think the choice of which will be best here is to some extent affected by the status of the universities for which you intend applying.

If they are traditional universities, choose traditional subjects, perhaps History, English Lit, & RE. There isn't a university in the land that has a problem with any of these.

If you're shooting for a newer university, you'll find less prejudice against, say, Law, Sociology, & Psychology, which are perhaps the subjects you'd more enjoy studying.

Good points. Can't rep you as I've done it too recently, but I would if I could.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smoose
Hi

Thank you!

Economics
ICT
English language
English literature
Law
Sociology
Psychology
Geography
Government & Politics
History
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

I'd do Eng lit, History, Geography and Psychology, unless you have a burning desire to do sociology. If Eng lit isn't your thing considers Philosophy & RE, Govt & Pol or Eng lang. At least drop Law for History.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Great post!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smoose
Hi

Thank you!

Economics
ICT
English language
English literature
Law
Sociology
Psychology
Geography
Government & Politics
History
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

I do Psychology, Sociology and English, with an AS in Media (yes, I know :rolleyes:) and I have offers for Law from Russell Group universities (Southampton and Birmingham) and Reading (1994 group) - if your personal statement and everything else is good enough, it will not hold you back! Pick subjects that you think you will be good at and enjoy, because there is no point in picking something you won't like just for the sake of getting into university.

Having said that, English and History are usually considered to be useful subjects to take for Law :smile:. I wouldn't choose Law A-level personally, so perhaps swap that with English Lit. If you're still worried that this wouldn't be 'traditional' enough, I think swapping Sociology for History, Philosophy or one of the sciences would give you a good balance of subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jLou711
How does geography or economics have any relevance to Law??

Economics maybe if you are wanting to become a solicitor but geography? OP is better off doing English

I disagree with the people on this thread that believe geography is irrelevant to law.

There are no prerequisite subjects that must have been studied in order to read law at university.

English literature(lang. isn't as respected)is a good A level, and so is Geography.

Geography is relevant to law. Half of it is human geography which is basically economics. If you need me to tell you how economics and law are related then you guys need to have a serious rethink. The physical side of geography is important because it allows you to develop a different skills set to that of arts subjects. It can also provide you with opportunities that allow you deepen your knowledge of risk associated with natural phenomena as well as human errors. So stuff like nuclear risk, and how that risk is managed. There are different groups involved: governments, insurance providers, reinsurance. All of whom are necessary for a nuclear site to be set up. There would be no nuclear plant, or indeed any tall buildings, or any planes taking off, without all parties being satisfied that contracts can be designed so that their sides interests are protected. So the law and geography as subjects and in the real word to come together very often.

Just sayin'
(edited 12 years ago)
My friend has 5 law offers for very respectable unis and studied History, Geography, English & Law, then dropped Geography for A2

They keep reiterating that Law is NOT compulsory for uni, but perhaps studying it at AS but give you a better idea if you want to do it? The other 3 are really highly looked upon for the essay writing / masses of learning!

From your list OP, I'd maybe swap Sociology for History or Economics (this isn't my opinion of the subject! but I've heard some unis are odd about it. Otherwise, drop it for AS. DEFINITELY keep geography :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest