Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lucid Dreaming

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jami74)
    I've had dreams where my senses have worked. Like running my fingers through animal fur and marvelling at how soft it feels, feeling warm and safe when someone big and strong carried me to safety. Feeling searing pain down my spine where a bullet hit or sensing the breath of someone close. Does no-one else get that?
    Yes. Occasionally in dreams I don't feel pain like I should do - I've dreamt I got stabbed but only felt a slight queasiness rather than actual pain - but usually all my senses work exactly the same in dreams as they do in real life. I thought that was normal?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only had one proper lucid dream ever, and tbh it was some pretty creepy ****.

In my dream I'd been shot, and I was sitting at the top of my stairs at home. I realised I was dreaming, but didn't wake up, and stumbled up too my feet (covered in blood). Everything was black and white and there was a mist hanging in the air. I have a big full length mirror at the top of my stairs and it sort of beckoned me over to it, so I hobbled up to it. It wasn't reflecting anything though it was just a black void.

I stared into the 'mirror' and this skull/decaying face appeared and screamed in a high pitch. At this point I went numb and fell forward into the mirror and everything went black. All I could hear was white noise. I felt someone grab my hand (it felt so real, it was mental) so I grabbed on tight and the hand pulled me around through this 'void', it almost felt as though I was on some sort of rollercoaster.

Anyway, the hand lets go of me and I feel as though I fall back onto my bed and I wake up with a jolt. My heart was racing, I was sweating and I had my arm held out in the air in front of me with my fist tightly clenched. Was one of the strangest experiences of my life tbh. :lolwut:

(Sorry if this doesn't read too well! I've had a few drinks tonight )
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what exactly are lucid dreams. I think I've had them.... I've sort of realised whilst dreaming that I'm dreaming and able to control the dream to some extent. But once I fully realise I'm dreaming then I start to lose control and wake up =/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    I'm not sure what exactly are lucid dreams. I think I've had them.... I've sort of realised whilst dreaming that I'm dreaming and able to control the dream to some extent. But once I fully realise I'm dreaming then I start to lose control and wake up =/
    That's lucid dreaming .

I've found it easier to slip into one when I've been really exhausted and it's quite warm in my room. I guess those things make me drowsier or something.

If anyone has seen Pan's Labyrinth the guy who created the story for that often lucid dreams and used a lot of the events in them as inspiration for the film.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    when i was younger, i was able to control my dreams soooo much. it helped me stop nightmares so for all of my childhood, id never have nightmares because i could change my dreams into something good and happy.

recently, it happens much less. although about a year ago i had a proper lucid dream... when i was little, it was more changing certain elements or the direction of a dream and then just going with it...rather than full control of the dream.

however, my most recent one, i decided to take full control. it was hard to keep myself asleep because mentally i was awake, so my body tried to wake itself up too (you know when you start to wake up from a dream? that kinda hazy feeling) but i forced myself to stay asleep and then i took control. id heard that flying in lucid dreams was amazing, so i tried that. it was alright but i would have enjoyed it more if i wasnt controlling it i reckon, it didnt feel real. i didnt really enjoy the full control lucid dream... my dreams are friggin awesome, i dont want my conscious brain interfering with the genius that is my subconscious.

it's like ben from outnumbered says.... dreams are like films for your brain when you are asleep and all kinds of amazing things happen in them that cant happen in real life. so lucid dreaming is great for stopping nightmares, but id take vivid normal dreaming over them any day.

sleep paralysis is really terrifying though. you are wide awake but cant move at all. and whilst it only takes a minute or so for it to pass and fall asleep, it feels like such a long time! :afraid: i guess people see **** like demons or things at the end of your bed because the boundary between consciousness/subconciousness is blurred. it's how i imagine schitzophrenia to be. ive not had that kind of paralysis, but simply being unable to move my entire body was terrifying enough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How realistic is lucid dreaming, or does it depend on the skill level/experience of the lucid dreamer?

(Original post by popple7)
    I think I could cope with not being able to move, but seeing a figure at the end of the bed and it pushing you down, or pulling your covers off. What would happen if someone else was in the room at the time of a figure being there? Would they beable to film this figure or is it completely someones imigination?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)
    How realistic is lucid dreaming, or does it depend on the skill level/experience of the lucid dreamer?

I think I could cope with not being able to move, but seeing a figure at the end of the bed and it pushing you down, or pulling your covers off. What would happen if someone else was in the room at the time of a figure being there? Would they beable to film this figure or is it completely someones imigination?
    for me, it's not realistic at all. even though dreams can feel real at the time, i think the awareness during lucid dreaming stops the dream feeling real.... that's why i didnt enjoy the fully lucid dream as much. i much prefer to go along with my subconscious and let it do all the work. my conscious imagination isnt nearly as creative or interesting as my subconscious! it was really vivid though and im glad i managed to do it.

i think you misread my point.... i think that when you're experiencing sleep paralysis, you are actually sort of asleep. my paralysis lasted about a minute or two, and i didnt wake up at the end of it, i fell back to sleep. i think it's a weird place between being awake and being asleep, like when you wake up in the middle of the night but dont remember the next morning.

because it's in that weird grey area, and because you're brain is probably adjusting from the jump of being conscious and being unconscious...i think anything you see whilst you are paralysed is totally imagined. it's like your dreams have leaked into your consciousness. it's projections from your subconscious dreaming state, entering your aware and conscious state.

but that's not to detract from the terror of it. i cant imagine anything more horrific. and it must feel so so real, because seeing is believing after all. but it's not real. it's all in the paralysed person's imagination. just like a dream, but you're more aware because you are more awake and so your dreaming has entered your consciousness.

but i guess some people believe in ghosts and demons and all that jazz. each to their own i guess. but i personally think all of that is *******s. still, that's not to say that seeing these things isn't "real", the terror you feel is horribly real i imagine. but actually seeing demons and monsters? that's your brain or imagination's creation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to do this and a friend at school gave me some tips but I'm a bit wary of a few things:

1. Sleep Paralysis. What exactly is is and what triggers it?

2. Mirrors. I've heard when you look in mirrors it shows subconscious thoughts you have about yourself. What the hell does that mean Nd has anyone experienced it? I heard they can also trigger nightmares..

Cheers.
    I'm not certain if I've experienced lucid dreaming before, however I have experienced sleep paralysis many times, and believe me it is not pleasant at all. I've learnt how to avoid it, but once in a while it does make an occurance and it's as terrifying as always. It always takes place in the room I'm sleeping in, and I'm most often than not fully aware of my surroundings. Most importantly there is always a dark/black figure near the bed, which is extremely frightening considering you can't move because you're paralysed, or at least you think you are.

Check out astral projection/OOBE, it's also pretty interesting and fascinating.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I'm not certain if I've experienced lucid dreaming before, however I have experienced sleep paralysis many times, and believe me it is not pleasant at all. I've learnt how to avoid it, but once in a while it does make an occurance and it's as terrifying as always. It always takes place in the room I'm sleeping in, and I'm most often than not fully aware of my surroundings. Most importantly there is always a dark/black figure near the bed, which is extremely frightening considering you can't move because you're paralysed, or at least you think you are.

Check out astral projection/OOBE, it's also pretty interesting and fascinating.
    And it feels like you are awake right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And it feels like you are awake right?
    Yes, completely.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    Yes, completely.
    How come you don't hear more about it? I mean umI hadn't heard of it until I read abot lucid dreaming. It sounds the scariest thing someone could witness.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just read a bit of the Lucid Dream page on Wiki and realised that i've had it quite a lot (the false awakening type) mainly when i was younger though :O
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    A guy I know from uni went to some hippy festival where they had a guy doing workshops in lucid dreaming, and he came back really into it and after a while of reading lots of material he said he'd managed to do it sporadically. I remember he said they taught them at the festival that if you think you may be dreaming to look at your hands and count your fingers, because your brain can't compute details like that accurately, and then when he had a dream and realised it he said he counted 6 fingers, then looked back down and his hand was a dogs paw, and thats how he knew. Freaky but who knows.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rural_boy)
    My friend told me about the time he experienced sleep paralysis, he said that his body was asleep but his mind was obviously still going and he said he saw a 'figure' at the end of his bed, honestly I thought he was kidding but he was shaking when he told us and said it was literally the most terrifying thing he'd every experienced..
    I had this sleep paralysis for about a week during 2 or 3 very stressful weeks at school when I was 15. I was completely terrified. I do not scare easily and those dreams have been one of the most terrifying experiences I have ever had. It seemed to me as though I was dreaming with my eyes open. Over 5 nights I imagined a man stood in my room, half of someones head on my pillow and the undead trying to pull me out of my bed. It sounds laughable when I put it in such a way but in reality it was very distressing. At the time I didn't know what sleep paralysis was and my parents didn't show much interest; I thought I was literally going mad. Not made better by the fact that during one of them I fell asleep with a lava lamp on and during the incident it cast a horrible red glow around the room, which made it much worse.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How come you don't hear more about it? I mean umI hadn't heard of it until I read abot lucid dreaming. It sounds the scariest thing someone could witness.
    I'm uncertain on that part, but you only really need to google it to realise just how many people experience it. Maybe there's more to it than just scientific facts, I mean the extent of the similarities that individuals experience is fascinating, particularly there being a presence of some sort of 'being'.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I lucid dream and get sleep paralysis and nightmares, it's horrible.

Let me put that in context. I lucid dream that I've woken up, and that I'm really late (I can normally see the clock on my bedside cabinet and I guess because I'm short sighted and can't see it IRL until I put my glasses on, my mind makes the time up) - it's called false awakening as someone mentioned. Sometimes I 'wake up' and go to open the curtains to discover that outside there's either nothing or something is really really wrong, like an apocalypse has happened or there's someone dead in the street. It's really horrible to wake up properly and be sweating and anxious because you're scared that you're still dreaming or not want to open the curtains in case the person who was staring through your window in your dream is still there. Sometimes I dream that I've had a phone conversation with someone and I have to check my call records to convince myself that I haven't (I have, in the past, asked people about conversations or text messages etc. that have happened in my lucid dream).

Sometimes if I don't wake up properly enough I can wake up from a nightmare, calm myself down, go back to sleep and go back straight into the nightmare. I used to do it as a kid all the time because I loved the feeling when I woke up, now it just scares me

Sleep paralysis is truly horrendous, I'd rather have lucid dreams or false awakenings than true sleep paralysis. The worst time was when I had a combination of lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. I heard my mum calling me to get up, so I dreamed that I had started to get out of bed when I suddenly became paralyzed on my front and I could see out of the corner of my eye this clown (similar to the one from It) with massive sharp teeth slowly advancing on me. I've only had it once at uni, I saw a skeletal man at the end of my bed pointing at me and crying.

The trouble I have is that my dreams are and have always been incredibly vivid, but equally so are my nightmares which are currently unfortunately more frequent than my nice dreams as I'm more stressed out right now. Sometimes I wake up from a particularly bad nightmare and it'll take me half a day to shake the anxiety and fear off and I'll be walking around in a bit of a trance/fog for the start of the day. It's not something I would recommend.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a figure in my room and really hope I don't.

I have had that feeling like I'm dreaming but my eyes are open though and false awakenings happen every so often where I'm getting ready for work/college nice and calmly and then suddenly realise I'm still asleep and probably really late so have to wake up in a panic and rush like mad. I think it happens when my alarm goes off but I don't get out of bed so my mind plays the scene as though I had.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had one lucid dream that I can remember. I realised I was dreaming when i was running away from something and realised I could never run up stairs as fast as I was. Weird way to start a lucid dream huh? Then on it was amazing, I could do as I pleased.

Also has anyone ever died in a dream? I have and it was different to the other fake deaths.. I blacked out and woke up in a luxury kind of hotel which was meant to be heaven and everyone who died previously was there. Best dream I ever had!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Also has anyone ever died in a dream? I have and it was different to the other fake deaths.. I blacked out and woke up in a luxury kind of hotel which was meant to be heaven and everyone who died previously was there. Best dream I ever had!
    Yep, I've been killed and killed myself in my dreams before. One particularly bad one was when I dreamed that I was in a darkened room with two other people who I couldn't see, all I could see was this shadowy figure moving towards me and I knew that if I let it touch me it'd kill me. But I couldn't move away fast enough and the second it touched me I felt so cold and well... dead... I'll never forget that feeling. Horrid
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Also has anyone ever died in a dream? I have and it was different to the other fake deaths!
    I drove over a cliff into the sea (accidently of course) and watched my lungs fill up with water, I knew once they were completely full I'd be dead. Then I had an overwelming sense of calm.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.