The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

What are the chances of getting a bunk room at the university?

This sounds selfish but I really do not want a bunk room. Will applying early lessen my chances of getting a bunk room? I have issues with personal space and all my friends at other universities have their own rooms.

Scroll to see replies

Have you enrolled at one of Ponderosa College or Biloxi Academy?

At a very few universities there are some shared rooms on campus, but these tend to be given either to students who request them because on a budget or to US exchange students, who for some reason prefer them. These rooms have twin beds and do not have bunks.

Bunk-beds are brill, mind.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
Have you enrolled at one of Ponderosa College or Biloxi Academy?

At a very few universities there are some shared rooms on campus, but these tend to be given either to students who request them because on a budget or to US exchange students, who for some reason prefer them. These rooms have twin beds and do not have bunks.

Bunk-beds are brill, mind.

No, Aberystwyth University, who are over subscribed, so sometimes bunk rooms are given to people even if they don't want them.
Reply 3
Well last year was the bunk bed fiasco so hopefully they've sorted their act out this year and there won't be a need for them. Also this years intake is likely to be smaller than last years.
I think I saw on another thread you have an unconditional? If I'm not imagining that then your chances of being in a bunk room are as good as nil. The unconditionals get processed in May/June while everyone else is processed after exams so unconditionals have a really good chance of getting their first choice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lady Friday
Well last year was the bunk bed fiasco so hopefully they've sorted their act out this year and there won't be a need for them. Also this years intake is likely to be smaller than last years.
I think I saw on another thread you have an unconditional? If I'm not imagining that then your chances of being in a bunk room are as good as nil. The unconditionals get processed in May/June while everyone else is processed after exams so unconditionals have a really good chance of getting their first choice :smile:

According to the website, they don't go by who has an unconditional offer, they go by who has firmed their offer :/ the earlier you've firmed it, the more chance you have of getting what you want. Also there are lots and lots of people doing scholarship exams; if they do well on them, they automatically get an unconditional offer. There will therefore be lots and lots of unconditional offers.

I'm not saying sharing a room is necessarily a bad thing but I really like my own space to work and be alone sometimes. I'd happily share a shower/bathroom if it came to it but I really don't like the idea of sharing a bedroom with a complete stranger. lol
Reply 5
Basically, the sooner you sign your contract, the better. If you have an unconditional, as soon as you accept it they start sorting your accommodation out. If you have a conditional, they start sorting your accomodation as soon as you get your exam results (providing you got in).

Your contract will be for a particular type of room in a particular residence (e.g. mine was a single room in Seafront residences), so when you sign it they can't put you somewhere else without you requesting it.

In my opinion it's highly optimistic that AU will have sorted itself out in terms of accommodation by next academic year, and even then there's 2nd year private accomodation to think about which is a nightmare. AU is famed for claiming to have solved the Aberystwyth Housing Crisis (tm) every year, and every year students end up in tiny flats at extortionate rent prices because the landlords can charge whatever they like.
Reply 6
As far as I know, the bunk rooms are only in PJM, so frankly, if you put PJM nowhere near the top of your accommodation preferences, then the likelihood of you getting put in a bunk room is pretty slim.
Reply 7
Original post by JCM
As far as I know, the bunk rooms are only in PJM, so frankly, if you put PJM nowhere near the top of your accommodation preferences, then the likelihood of you getting put in a bunk room is pretty slim.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong. There's bunk rooms in all accommodations. I'm in a bunk room (though my bunk-mate moved out) and I'm on the seafront.

It's first come first serve for non-bunk rooms. So get your application done asap. If you've got an unconditional it's pretty likely (providing you get on doing your accommodation application) that you'll get your own room.

But even if you do get in a bunk room, after the 'settling down' period (where lots of people drop out - it happens everywhere) places get freed up and people that want their own rooms in halls get them. I don't know anyone still stuck in a bunk room that they hate.
And I made use of my bunk bed: I took it apart and now have a massive double bed, ;D. (Though I haven't had an inspection yet with it like this. I'm going to be reading the accommodation agreement intently to see if I can get away with it.)
Reply 8
Original post by Omnamah
Sorry, but you're completely wrong. There's bunk rooms in all accommodations. I'm in a bunk room (though my bunk-mate moved out) and I'm on the seafront.

It's first come first serve for non-bunk rooms. So get your application done asap. If you've got an unconditional it's pretty likely (providing you get on doing your accommodation application) that you'll get your own room.

But even if you do get in a bunk room, after the 'settling down' period (where lots of people drop out - it happens everywhere) places get freed up and people that want their own rooms in halls get them. I don't know anyone still stuck in a bunk room that they hate.
And I made use of my bunk bed: I took it apart and now have a massive double bed, ;D. (Though I haven't had an inspection yet with it like this. I'm going to be reading the accommodation agreement intently to see if I can get away with it.)

Oh right thanks :smile: did you have a conditional or unconditional? Also, how late did you leave it? Is it possible that unconditionals could still get bunk rooms? :s-smilie: because this year has something like over 400 Unconditionals because of scholarships and deferred applicants from last year or something...
Reply 9
Original post by Jabberwox
Oh right thanks :smile: did you have a conditional or unconditional? Also, how late did you leave it? Is it possible that unconditionals could still get bunk rooms? :s-smilie: because this year has something like over 400 Unconditionals because of scholarships and deferred applicants from last year or something...

I had a conditional. I can't remember the date I submitted my accomm application, but I didn't exactly do it quickly. I remember leaving it a fair bit. I would be possible for an unconditional to get a bunk room if you left the application late, but since its first come first serve you should hopefully not have that much of a problem as long as you get it done promptly. Anywhere should be good to live in, its just minor differences. Obviously if you want your own space put all the twin rooms at the bottom of your preferences (you have to rank every single variation in order - its a little tedious tbh).
Just do it as soon as you feel comfortable with your choice!
Reply 10

Would it be too late to wait for the results of the scholarship exam before firming or would that mean ending up with a bunk for sure?
Reply 11
Original post by ysgwrn
Would it be too late to wait for the results of the scholarship exam before firming or would that mean ending up with a bunk for sure?

It's nothing to do with when you firm, it's how soon you apply for accommodation :smile: you find out the exam results in late March and accommodation opens up in April. Unconditionals find out in May and conditionals find out in August. I thought it was how early you firmed as well but I've recently found out that has nothing to do with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
See I have a different theory.

Basically, if you have an unconditional I'm sure theres no chance you will get a bunk room.
The bunk rooms seem to go out to those who, upon recieving their A-Level results, did not submit an email confirming that they will be attending university fast enough. So I believe your chances are decided on how soon after recieving your results you confirm you will be attending the university, so the moment you recieve your A12b letter or whatever it is then make sure to do as it says.

At the end of the day its not worth stressing about. If your number is up theres nothing you can do. Just give yourself the best chance by doing things as and when they tell you to and regularly checking emails etc. Besides, who knows what wonderful surprises they might throw in for next years freshers anyway? You could all be sleeping in a big room full of beds with a locker each like an army billet :biggrin: (P.S. This won't happen.)
Reply 13
Original post by JordE
At the end of the day its not worth stressing about. If your number is up theres nothing you can do. Just give yourself the best chance by doing things as and when they tell you to and regularly checking emails etc. Besides, who knows what wonderful surprises they might throw in for next years freshers anyway? You could all be sleeping in a big room full of beds with a locker each like an army billet :biggrin: (P.S. This won't happen.)

I wouldn't put anything past this uni. :wink: Nah, they don't have the big rooms to do that.

I'm applying for returning student accommodation so I'm a little nervous I will either get a bunk room or get rejected. If so, it's spending my life trying to find private accommodation which is not a fun prospect.
Reply 14
Original post by SiobhanC
I wouldn't put anything past this uni. :wink: Nah, they don't have the big rooms to do that.

I'm applying for returning student accommodation so I'm a little nervous I will either get a bunk room or get rejected. If so, it's spending my life trying to find private accommodation which is not a fun prospect.

Haha good luck.
I've just renewed my contract to stay in the same house. Hell of a lot easier than last year :biggrin: I don't think you'll have too much trouble looking if you don't get uni accommodation anyway dude.
Hi All.

We wanted to make a few things clear about our University Accommodation and so we have put together these 'steps' for applying for accommodation in Aberystwyth University Entry 2012 . We hope you find them useful. This guide applies to UK students that have applied to Aberystwyth University through UCAS.

1. Student Applies to Aberystwyth University through UCAS.
a. Student is given a Personal I.D. Number/ UCAS number.
2. UCAS informs Aber Uni that you have applied to Aber Uni (us!)
3. If we make you an offer to study with us, it will appear on UCAS track and you will receive an applicants information pack.
a. Check UCAS Track to see if you have been made an offer.
4. You then choose your Firm and Insurance choice universities.
5. If you hold us as a Firm or Insurance choice, the Accommodation Office will send you an accommodation information pack around the end of March, early April.
a. This pack includes information on how to apply online and a copy of the *accommodation brochure* (FEB 2012 this is currently out of print but is being updated and printed now!)
6. APPLY ONLINE – Applications open in April and close 1st of August for Undergraduates and the 1st September for Postgraduates. You must apply within these dates for guaranteed accommodation – NB: Please use an active email address! We only guarantee accommodation, you cannot specify what exact halls you would like. You will choose from budget, twin, catered or self catered. Bunk rooms are a possibility in 2012 and these rooms are spread out across many of the different halls of residences on campus and on the seafront.
a. Unconditional Students – If you have an unconditional offer and have firmly accepted your place with us, your application will be processed as soon as it is received.
b. Conditional Students – Your application will be processed when you have responded to your AS12 Letter. You will receive the AS12 letter from UCAS. You will only receive the AS12 letter once you have met the terms of your offer (i.e. after you have your results)
7. The AS12 Letter will have a web link. You need to choose to Accept, Decline or Defer your offer to study with us.
8. As soon as this is done we can process your accommodation application. We process the application by the time and date that you accept, decline or defer your offer.
9. CHECK YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY.
10. You will then arrive in Fresher’s Week and discover your precise room (and have a lot of parties, meet a lot of people and have a lot of fun!)

[email protected]
Reply 16
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Hi All.

We wanted to make a few things clear about our University Accommodation and so we have put together these 'steps' for applying for accommodation in Aberystwyth University Entry 2012 . We hope you find them useful. This guide applies to UK students that have applied to Aberystwyth University through UCAS.

1. Student Applies to Aberystwyth University through UCAS.
a. Student is given a Personal I.D. Number/ UCAS number.
2. UCAS informs Aber Uni that you have applied to Aber Uni (us!)
3. If we make you an offer to study with us, it will appear on UCAS track and you will receive an applicants information pack.
a. Check UCAS Track to see if you have been made an offer.
4. You then choose your Firm and Insurance choice universities.
5. If you hold us as a Firm or Insurance choice, the Accommodation Office will send you an accommodation information pack around the end of March, early April.
a. This pack includes information on how to apply online and a copy of the *accommodation brochure* (FEB 2012 this is currently out of print but is being updated and printed now!)
6. APPLY ONLINE – Applications open in April and close 1st of August for Undergraduates and the 1st September for Postgraduates. You must apply within these dates for guaranteed accommodation – NB: Please use an active email address! We only guarantee accommodation, you cannot specify what exact halls you would like. You will choose from budget, twin, catered or self catered. Bunk rooms are a possibility in 2012 and these rooms are spread out across many of the different halls of residences on campus and on the seafront.
a. Unconditional Students – If you have an unconditional offer and have firmly accepted your place with us, your application will be processed as soon as it is received.
b. Conditional Students – Your application will be processed when you have responded to your AS12 Letter. You will receive the AS12 letter from UCAS. You will only receive the AS12 letter once you have met the terms of your offer (i.e. after you have your results)
7. The AS12 Letter will have a web link. You need to choose to Accept, Decline or Defer your offer to study with us.
8. As soon as this is done we can process your accommodation application. We process the application by the time and date that you accept, decline or defer your offer.
9. CHECK YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY.
10. You will then arrive in Fresher’s Week and discover your precise room (and have a lot of parties, meet a lot of people and have a lot of fun!)

[email protected]

So we cannot actually choose the halls we'd like? We can only put if we want a single, self-catered room for example? :s-smilie:
Reply 17
So we cannot actually choose the halls we'd like? We can only put if we want a single, self-catered room for example? :s-smilie:

When you come to apply online, you'll be asked to list your accommodation choices. So, say you want to live in Rosser, you'll put Rosser at the top of the list, and then make your second, third, etc choices after that :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Wookie42
When you come to apply online, you'll be asked to list your accommodation choices. So, say you want to live in Rosser, you'll put Rosser at the top of the list, and then make your second, third, etc choices after that :smile:

Thats wrong! - see upthread to read what Aber themselves have said.

At the visit day we got told it would be different this year and the choice would be simply catered non catered single twin bunk and there wouldn't be an option to apply for a specific hall as in the past. This thread seems to confirm it.

Personally quite happy with the new system. If you look at the prices, bunking is mega cheap and with the residential bursary on top you could save a packet. (Still rather not have one but there will be a fair few who will want the option because of the price)
Reply 19
Original post by ysgwrn
Thats wrong! - see upthread to read what Aber themselves have said.

At the visit day we got told it would be different this year and the choice would be simply catered non catered single twin bunk and there wouldn't be an option to apply for a specific hall as in the past. This thread seems to confirm it.

Personally quite happy with the new system. If you look at the prices, bunking is mega cheap and with the residential bursary on top you could save a packet. (Still rather not have one but there will be a fair few who will want the option because of the price)

Aaah what? That's ridiculous! Pretty disappointed with the university that they've decided this is some sort of solution... *sigh* Sorry for misinforming, assumed it would be the same as last year.

Quick Reply

Latest