Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about the ignore feature.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    So when you put someone on ignore does it mean anything more than simply you aren't able to see their posts?
    For example, would they be able to post on your profile page, could they see your posting history?

Surely if you put someone on ignore you want no contact with them, so if the answer to the two questions above is no is it something that would be considered?
    • 163 followers

To be honest, you sort of can see their posts. It has a standard block message and a link to view their message. The block function also stops any PMs they send. Unfortunately, I don't think it shows them any message (ie this user has blocked you) - I can't verify though. It was like that when I experimented months ago. Their quotes will still appear in your Who Quoted Me widget - RK did say a few times that this was on the dev list to be fixed.

They can still see your posting history and posts. It would be unfair to remove that ability given it is something open to non-registered users and something present on the public domain. With respect of posting on profile pages, check your privacy settings:

Note: Guests and users on your Ignore List will only be able to view the blocks on your page where you have selected 'Everyone'.
    I think the best improvements are:

• Stop any quote by them appearing in your Who Quoted Me widget.
    • Tell them they have been blocked if they attempt to PM you. It seems a bit wrong for them to operate on the assumption that they have successfully PMed you and you received it/ignored the PM that you received.
    • Remove the block message ('This user is on your ignore list') you get when an ignored user posts in a thread you are viewing. This is just personal preference really and might not be something that can actually be implemented.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    To be honest, you sort of can see their posts. It has a standard block message and a link to view their message. The block function also stops any PMs they send. Unfortunately, I don't think it shows them any message (ie this user has blocked you) - I can't verify though. It was like that when I experimented months ago. Their quotes will still appear in your Who Quoted Me widget - RK did say a few times that this was on the dev list to be fixed.

They can still see your posting history and posts. It would be unfair to remove that ability given it is something open to non-registered users and something present on the public domain. With respect of posting on profile pages, check your privacy settings:

I think the best improvements are:

• Stop any quote by them appearing in your Who Quoted Me widget.
    • Tell them they have been blocked if they attempt to PM you. It seems a bit wrong for them to operate on the assumption that they have successfully PMed you and you received it/ignored the PM that you received.
    • Remove the block message ('This user is on your ignore list') you get when an ignored user posts in a thread you are viewing. This is just personal preference really and might not be something that can actually be implemented.

I don't think it would be unfair if when you block someone, they would be unable to see your posting history. Such a thing would only apply to people you have blocked so it really shouldn't effect anything else and I don't see how it would. The only reason I say this is that if, per chance, you have a person that you have blocked and told them they are blocked, they still go to every thread you've post in and try replying or making snide comments or something like that.

Plus surely said person could also continue to post on your profile even though you couldn't read it which just seems pointless and annoying and to save you from deleting them every time surely it would just be better if a blocked person couldn't post on their profile.

As for your list, I agree with the first two however I don't really understand why the third really makes a difference. Such a feature informs you as to why you cannot see the post. Do you not like it because it annoys you?
    • 163 followers

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I don't think it would be unfair if when you block someone, they would be unable to see your posting history. Such a thing would only apply to people you have blocked so it really shouldn't effect anything else and I don't see how it would. The only reason I say this is that if, per chance, you have a person that you have blocked and told them they are blocked, they still go to every thread you've post in and try replying or making snide comments or something like that.

Plus surely said person could also continue to post on your profile even though you couldn't read it which just seems pointless and annoying and to save you from deleting them every time surely it would just be better if a blocked person couldn't post on their profile.

As for your list, I agree with the first two however I don't really understand why the third really makes a difference. Such a feature informs you as to why you cannot see the post. Do you not like it because it annoys you?
    Yet I could left click and open your profile in incognito mode and view your profile's entire posting history. It's not fair to punish someone to that extent just because you don't like them. Seeing all the posts made in the public domain should not be excluded by the acting of ignoring someone. Stopping them from sending private messages or posting on your wall isn't the same thing in that regard. In any case, if they did that it would constitute spam and harassment and be a case for the moderators.

On your second point, no, they couldn't. If someone can't view your wall, they can't post on it.

Yup, pretty much. I don't have a lot of self-restraint. But it isn't as big a stretch as excluding them completely from your own posting history.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yet I could left click and open your profile in incognito mode and view your profile's entire posting history. It's not fair to punish someone to that extent just because you don't like them. Seeing all the posts made in the public domain should not be excluded by the acting of ignoring someone. Stopping them from sending private messages or posting on your wall isn't the same thing in that regard. In any case, if they did that it would constitute spam and harassment and be a case for the moderators.

On your second point, no, they couldn't. If someone can't view your wall, they can't post on it.

Yup, pretty much. I don't have a lot of self-restraint. But it isn't as big a stretch as excluding them completely from your own posting history.
    What's incognito mode? Is that to do with what browser you use? I agree it might not be fair if you simply don't like them, but then if there is someone that is a dick, spams you, insults you, etc etc and who might follow you around a bit then I would say it's justified. To be honest you say it's not fair, but to be honest it really isn't a big deal. So a person won't be able to post on your profile and so they won't be able to see where you've posted. I wouldn't say that's a huge deal.

Yes if they can't view your wall they can't post on it but wouldn't that mean changing the privacy settings for your profile? I wouldn't want to have it set so that only people added as friends can post just because of one or two people, but at the same time I wouldn't want someone I have blocked having the chance to spam me. I agree it would generally be a case to report to the MOD's but wouldn't it be easier to simply make it so that a person do it if they've been blocked?

What I've found when I've blocked people is that when I see that message telling me I can't see the post because they are blocked, it really makes me want to see the post.
    • 163 followers

What's incognito mode? Is that to do with what browser you use? I agree it might not be fair if you simply don't like them, but then if there is someone that is a dick, spams you, insults you, etc etc and who might follow you around a bit then I would say it's justified. To be honest you say it's not fair, but to be honest it really isn't a big deal. So a person won't be able to post on your profile and so they won't be able to see where you've posted. I wouldn't say that's a huge deal.

Yes if they can't view your wall they can't post on it but wouldn't that mean changing the privacy settings for your profile? I wouldn't want to have it set so that only people added as friends can post just because of one or two people, but at the same time I wouldn't want someone I have blocked having the chance to spam me. I agree it would generally be a case to report to the MOD's but wouldn't it be easier to simply make it so that a person do it if they've been blocked?

What I've found when I've blocked people is that when I see that message telling me I can't see the post because they are blocked, it really makes me want to see the post.
    On Chrome, it allows you to view any link or webpage without it being recorded in your web history (I think you can probably guess the main usage for such a feature). A consequence of the feature is that it logs you out of any websites and allows you to view TSR as a guest. Essentially just a faster way of logging out to view something. My point is that any blocked user can access your posts even if you implemented a feature blocking them from viewing your post history since it's all on the public domain (ie not like the Back Room or PS forum which are open to certain registered usergroups). Seeing someone's post (thus the search function) is a big part of forum browsing.

It would but only really to 'registered users' rather than 'friends/contacts only' so the only people who will be unable to view (and post) on your profile will be non-registered users (guests) and ignored users.

Exactly. Hence my confusion now at why you disagreed with the third option which advocated removing the block message (removing the user's post completely from your view).
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    On Chrome, it allows you to view any link or webpage without it being recorded in your web history (I think you can probably guess the main usage for such a feature). A consequence of the feature is that it logs you out of any websites and allows you to view TSR as a guest. Essentially just a faster way of logging out to view something. My point is that any blocked user can access your posts even if you implemented a feature blocking them from viewing your post history since it's all on the public domain (ie not like the Back Room or PS forum which are open to certain registered usergroups). Seeing someone's post (thus the search function) is a big part of forum browsing.
    Ah,yes on Internet Explorer and Firefox it's called "Private Browsing." I see you what you mean but I'd like to point out that it's not so much the viewing the profile I have an issue with on this matter.

It would but only really to 'registered users' rather than 'friends/contacts only' so the only people who will be unable to view (and post) on your profile will be non-registered users (guests) and ignored users.
    I just don't think unregistered users not being able to see the comments section on people's profile is a big problem or a negative. I might try that setting although I'm still a little unsure as to how that particular setting stops people you've blocked from seeing it, but never mind.

Exactly. Hence my confusion now at why you disagreed with the third option which advocated removing the block message (removing the user's post completely from your view).
    I wasn't really disagreeing, more clarifying.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How to get the widget thing back, i cancelled it by mistake and now it does not come back.
    • 165 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    How to get the widget thing back, i cancelled it by mistake and now it does not come back.
    To customise your widgets, go to Settings -> Customise TSR. Make sure that you're on the right tab - there's one for the home page and one for all other pages.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah,yes on Internet Explorer and Firefox it's called "Private Browsing." I see you what you mean but I'd like to point out that it's not so much the viewing the profile I have an issue with on this matter.

I just don't think unregistered users not being able to see the comments section on people's profile is a big problem or a negative. I might try that setting although I'm still a little unsure as to how that particular setting stops people you've blocked from seeing it, but never mind.

I wasn't really disagreeing, more clarifying.
    The problem is, as anyone can find your post history, if they are logged in or not, then anyone can find your posts. So removing the ability for a blocked user to search your posts is removing an ability that is in public domain (and if they really wanted to annoy you, then they could use TSR logged out to find 10 of your posts, log in, and then quote and reply to each one), and if they do as you say they are breaking the rules by harassing you.

I believe that "Registered Users" is the default option for all privacy settings. So, only registered users can see and post on your wall. The forum software itself checks your ignore list, and treats anyone on it as a guest / non-registered user in respects to your wall - it is a built in feature of the ignore list that makes it work.

With the post hidden message, the problem with hiding the message completely is it breaks thread continuity - if someone hasn't quoted who they are replying to, it could appear someone is talking to themselves, which would annoy me at least as I would have no idea what they are going on about.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 20, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.