The Student Room Group

High Street vs High End

just wondering which range of clothes you guys normally purchase? clothes from high street or from high end? what brands?

don't know it is real that no one buys a piece of clothes more than £100...

x

(wanted to create a poll, but don't know how..haha x)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most of my clothes in my wardrobe comes from Primark, H&M etc.

It's not about the price of the clothing, it's about how you wear them.
Reply 2
however price could be one of the biggest reasons to buy a brand or a style tho. what about quality?
Of course people buy clothes for more than £100.
Reply 4
High street. I usually buy from New Look/Pull and Bear/H&H/Topshop/River Island etc.
Reply 5
Original post by ThisIsOurDecision
Of course people buy clothes for more than £100.

of course there are loads..but i have to have a war with myself if i wanna buy anything more than £40 tbh..so i barely buy anything more than that..
Reply 6
Original post by falling
High street. I usually buy from New Look/Pull and Bear/H&H/Topshop/River Island etc.

i m really interested in pull & bear..even though i never bought anything from them..its the same company with zara..what bout zara do you buy clothes from zara ?
Reply 7
You can appreciate high end clothing even when you're not wearing it. Just looking at it, touching it, thinking about what it is and what it represents, how it came into being etc. brings a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction. High street clothes are just something you wear, like you might buy a cheap print from Ikea to brighten up your room. I view my collection of high end pieces, on the other hand, as more akin to a fine art collection. I find this approach to fashion far more interesting and fulfilling than chasing trends on the high street, so I do buy a lot from what would be considered the 'high end'.
Reply 8
Original post by Fields
You can appreciate high end clothing even when you're not wearing it. Just looking at it, touching it, thinking about what it is and what it represents, how it came into being etc. brings a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction. High street clothes are just something you wear, like you might buy a cheap print from Ikea to brighten up your room. I view my collection of high end pieces, on the other hand, as more akin to a fine art collection. I find this approach to fashion far more interesting and fulfilling than chasing trends on the high street, so I do buy a lot from what would be considered the 'high end'.

this is really good to know that you have a collection of considered 'high end' fashion items, i am sure the appreciation on the process of how those high end fashion designers put their efforts into masterpieces is highly wanted from those fashion brands. do you think high street fashion items are the copies of high end? do you own high street fashion items as well?

thx:smile:
Reply 9
I usually shop at H&M, dorothy perkins, uni qlo, marks and spencer, Bhs, new look, la senza, and sports direct. thus mostly high street. I have bought a few things from victoria's secret and hollister before which are not high end but not really high street either. I like brands but can't afford to buy them on a regular basis.
Reply 10
Original post by samueljing
i m really interested in pull & bear..even though i never bought anything from them..its the same company with zara..what bout zara do you buy clothes from zara ?

The clothes I most often wear are from Zara, Topman and H&M.
If I had the money I would 'invest' in a few higher end brands that offer good quality for example I'd love to own a Tom Ford or Dolce and Gabanna suit and a Burberry trench
Reply 11
I buy most of my clothes from Debenhams.
Usually High Street brands and if I'm seriously broke, Primark.

I only ever spend £100 or more on clothings if I'm going out on a full out shopping trip (which happens once a year, thank God for my parents wallets XD)
Original post by 2ndClass
I buy most of my clothes from Debenhams.

Same. :biggrin: Though, I'm surprised no one from my school shops there since they think it's expensive. >.<
Reply 14
Original post by hali0112
I usually shop at H&M, dorothy perkins, uni qlo, marks and spencer, Bhs, new look, la senza, and sports direct. thus mostly high street. I have bought a few things from victoria's secret and hollister before which are not high end but not really high street either. I like brands but can't afford to buy them on a regular basis.

Wow that s basically every high street shops, clothes from Uniqlo are pretty high quality with modern but timeless classic styles. love the concept of Uniqlo. Hollister is slightly expensive comparing with those real ;high street; brands such as H&M, but i m not sure it is a real 'high end' brand..i don't know, anyone else have any different answers?:smile:
Reply 15

Ahh yeah it's classs, the clothes are nice, good quality and not too expensive :biggrin:
No, don't think I ever have tbh, but I love the stuff in it!
Reply 16
this is really good to know that you have a collection of considered 'high end' fashion items, i am sure the appreciation on the process of how those high end fashion designers put their efforts into masterpieces is highly wanted from those fashion brands. do you think high street fashion items are the copies of high end? do you own high street fashion items as well?

thx:smile:

Of course I wear clothes from the high street too, but they serve no other purpose than as something to wear and will often have a short life. Many of these are, of course, influenced by the work of higher end designers, but once the trend has passed they will cease to be interesting. The 'original' designer equivalent, on the other hand, will continue to appeal long into the future as they are, in a sense, pieces of history.
Original post by Fields

This is a sensible way to view things.
But other than shoes I don't tend to buy high end because I just find it painful (plus I find cheap shoes wear out quickly and painful to wear, I have an odd gait)
Reply 18
Original post by SweetChilliSauce
Same. :biggrin: Though, I'm surprised no one from my school shops there since they think it's expensive. >.<

lol most of the clothes I get complimented on come from there and they're dirt cheap too. I usually buy Red Herring but their fashion line has been slacking this year :mad:
Reply 19
Original post by Luxray
The clothes I most often wear are from Zara, Topman and H&M.
If I had the money I would 'invest' in a few higher end brands that offer good quality for example I'd love to own a Tom Ford or Dolce and Gabanna suit and a Burberry trench

i have to say those high end brands you mentioned are few favourites of mine as well. Speaking of Burberry, i am really interested in getting that studded document bag and metallic duck head umbrella on its AW12 fashion show in milan xx.

Quick Reply