The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingsholmmad
And Uruguay. Well, I'm sorry if my opinion is unpopular but if I'm going to watch English representation, it isn't going to be in football because we always end up under-achieving. At least in rugby and cricket, we have historical and current teams we can be proud of. At least in motor-racing and golf, we're not laughed at as also-rans. At least in sailing, rowing and cycling, we can take on the world and fear noone. That's not how it is in football and if you were honest with yourself, you'd know that was the truth.

How many countries play cricket? How many give a **** about rowing? Rowing ffs.

Football is played and loved in every country on the planet and we can still claim to easily be in the top 10.
Reply 661
tikka takka is not the only way to play football
Reply 662
ali al habsi is the best goalkeeper in the prem
Original post by Karlito1978
How many countries play cricket? How many give a **** about rowing? Rowing ffs.

Football is played and loved in every country on the planet and we can still claim to easily be in the top 10.

Get a grip. We're in the FIFA top 10 because we keep slipping Blatter a few dirty little backhanders. You don't seriously think that any country whose best player is Rooney can claim to be on a par with Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany etc, do you?

And as for cricket, you're missing the point. It's not a question of countries but spectators. A sport can only survive by attracting enough spectators and in that sense, cricket is in the top five, possibly top three worldwide.

I mention rowing because our world standing in it is so much higher than it is in football. All of which just emphasises the point that I made and you chose to ignore, namely that there are plenty of sports in which England or Britain are worldbeaters. And football isn't one of them.
Reply 664
You don't seriously think that any country whose best player is Rooney can claim to be on a par with Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany etc, do you?

So you use a player who is in the top 15 in the world, arguably top 10, and use that to support your argument? Bit strange.
Original post by Tommyjw
So you use a player who is in the top 15 in the world, arguably top 10, and use that to support your argument? Bit strange.

Top 15 in whose rankings? And do those rankings, perchance, include performances at club level? I'll happily agree that Rooney performs a lot better for Man U than he does for his country but, frankly, any country whose best international is a club player can't really be doing all that well. Can they?
Luis Suarez is a misunderstood and gentle soul
Reply 667
Top 15 in whose rankings? And do those rankings, perchance, include performances at club level? I'll happily agree that Rooney performs a lot better for Man U than he does for his country but, frankly, any country whose best international is a club player can't really be doing all that well. Can they?

Every countrys best player is a club player.. because all players play for clubs? So i dont understand your point..

and footieblog, an unbiased diversely decided list has him 6th, just for example, opinions differ ofc. And it seems just to be based upon their club performances.
Original post by Tommyjw
Every countrys best player is a club player.. because all players play for clubs? So i dont understand your point..

and footieblog, an unbiased diversely decided list has him 6th, just for example, opinions differ ofc. And it seems just to be based upon their club performances.

My point is that if he plays his best football for his club not his country, then he's not much of an international. And if his country haven't got anybody better than him, it can't be much of a team.
Reply 669
Original post by jam277
Yes, but all 200 nations have the potential to qualify.
However the only teams that can qualify for the CL are the top divisions of the major nations and then some minor nations who have to go through playoff rounds which says it all. Only one team can qualify for CL in scotland for example.

...So technically they still get a chance to qualify?
Reply 670
Ricardo Vaz Te is underrated.
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible for a country to change its national sport to something it's good at. Right now, England's national sport ought to be cricket (or possibly even cycling) because continually being beaten at our current national sport is just embarrassing.
Reply 672
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible for a country to change its national sport to something it's good at. Right now, England's national sport ought to be cricket (or possibly even cycling) because continually being beaten at our current national sport is just embarrassing.

I don't think you understand how stupid that comment is :lolwut:
My point is that if he plays his best football for his club not his country, then he's not much of an international. And if his country haven't got anybody better than him, it can't be much of a team.

What about Messi? I suppose the same principle should apply to him, no?
Reply 674
Get a grip. We're in the FIFA top 10 because we keep slipping Blatter a few dirty little backhanders.

Riiiiight. Which explains how decisions always go our way in tournament finals and stuff.

Or are you seriously suggesting we're worse than Russia, Greece and France?

You're probably one of those saying 'OH ENGLAND WILL GET STUFFED BY FRANCE LOL THERE R SO ****'. Yep, which is why they're ranked 16th and they're awful.
Reply 675
Original post by Jim-Jam
Riiiiight. Which explains how decisions always go our way in tournament finals and stuff.

You're probably one of those saying 'OH ENGLAND WILL GET STUFFED BY FRANCE LOL THERE R SO ****'. Yep, which is why they're ranked 16th and they're awful.

That is completely ridiculous, yes they had an awful world cup due to squad infighting but they have achieved far more than England in the last 20 years.
Original post by The Hedonist
What about Messi? I suppose the same principle should apply to him, no?

Yes, I reckon it should. However, since he is so much better than Rooney and he has significantly more players of higher quality in his national squad, it simply doesn't matter as much to them.

Original post by Jim-Jam

Worse than Russia, Greece and France at football or at bribery? I'd like to think that we could still count ourselves as better than Russia or Greece (though I'm not sure that I could prove that) but I don't see how you can reckon that we're significantly better than France, dire though they be at present.
Reply 677
Yes, I reckon it should. However, since he is so much better than Rooney and he has significantly more players of higher quality in his national squad, it simply doesn't matter as much to them.

Worse than Russia, Greece and France at football or at bribery? I'd like to think that we could still count ourselves as better than Russia or Greece (though I'm not sure that I could prove that) but I don't see how you can reckon that we're significantly better than France, dire though they be at present.

Blanc has changed the team and instilled discipline. Those expecting a dire French team may be in for a shock!
Reply 678
everytime a player is doing good , he is always linked with Liverpool , why no other team?
I really like the German team at the moment. Even more so looking at the squad today...

Quick Reply

Latest