The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

That Roland Nilsson was one of the best fullbacks to have ever graced the English Leagues:biggrin:
Reply 681
I think joey barton's antics are hilarious and he adds a neccessary bit of colour to football

I don't like frank lampard or steven gerrard.
Original post by Andy16
I think joey barton's antics are hilarious and he adds a neccessary bit of colour to football

Balotelli "adds a bit of colour to football", Joey Barton's just a thug.
Reply 683
Heskey can be good.
Reply 684
Original post by Andy16
couldn't agree with you more. i've been arguing for weeks that he brings something entertaining to the game, and i like him a lot for that.

same with players like Robbie Savage, even his football articles are fun stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 685
Original post by Andy16

Oh sorry, didn't know kicking/headbutting players who did nothing at all to you was "colourful". Nothing sort of a criminal, should have been banned for longer than 12 games. Disgrace to football.

But, seeing as it's this thread, yes I agree. Very controversial statement!
Reply 686
the munich disaster made manchester united.

thatll get the blood boiling in some gob****es
- Liverpool winning the League Cup isn't a fix, it doesn't solve any of the separate problems that has led to their poor season, and they won't automatically go on a good run. (oh was I right...)

- Owen Hargreaves still isn't very good. Running a lot against Portugal once doesn't turn you from the worst current English player to the greatest English player.

- Zinedine Zidane wasn't THAT good, and was a violent thug (the latter is shared by people who are familiar with him though).

- It's only a game (well, a business).

- Stoke are shoe-ins to stay up (when that betting company paid out on Stoke getting relegated on the first day of the season or something).

- I support Manchester United (cue attacks for choosing who I support, even though if I stopped supporting Man Utd, I would therefore be choosing who I supported. You don't choose your teams).

- I like Mark Lawrenson and he's possibly the most entertaining man in a TV studio and commentary booth today.
Original post by TrulyEpicLawls

- Owen Hargreaves still isn't very good. Running a lot against Portugal once doesn't turn you from the worst current English player to the greatest English player.

What about being a consistently good player for Bayern Munich, starting two Champions League finals, having one very good season with Man Utd before his injuries started getting ridiculous. Hargreaves was a fantastic player: very intelligent on the pitch, a good passer and good at breaking up play.

Nobody ever claimed he was the greatest England player, or even amongst the greatest ever, but I would say you won't have seen that many of his matches if you don't think Hargreaves was that good. As a Man Utd fan, I'd hope you'd have seen him a lot during 07/08 at least, which begs the question how you could possibly come to that opinion?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stu Laverty
What about being a consistently good player for Bayern Munich, starting two Champions League finals, having one very good season with Man Utd before his injuries started getting ridiculous. Hargreaves was a fantastic player: very intelligent on the pitch, a good passer and good at breaking up play.

Nobody ever claimed he was the greatest England player, or even amongst the greatest ever, but I would say you won't have seen that many of his matches if you don't think Hargreaves was that good. As a Man Utd fan, I'd hope you'd have seen him a lot during 07/08 at least, which begs the question how you could possibly come to that opinion?

Because he's not that good. The first defence people jump to is how good his team is/was, which says everything. I heard Veron make the same argument when Man Utd won the title.

Hargreaves was worth half the amount Fergie payed and, like I said it would be, it was a bad buy, as we've seen.

And also because I have an unpopular opinion. Welcome to the thread, mang.

Plus I know nobody ever claimed he was the greatest England player (though there's always one), which is why I never said that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Because he's not that good. The first defence people jump to is how good his team is/was, which says everything. I heard Veron make the same argument when Man Utd won the title.

Hargreaves was worth half the amount Fergie payed and, like I said it would be, it was a bad buy, as we've seen.

And also because I have an unpopular opinion. Welcome to the thread, mang.

Plus I know nobody ever claimed he was the greatest England player (though there's always one), which is why I never said that.

You're making no sense. How about letting us know why you don't think he isn't that good. What are the weak part of his game (bearing in mind what his role within a team is)? What are some particularly poor performances? Was he inconsistent?

Hargreaves was in a good team and he was a big player in those good teams (Bayern and Man Utd). Veron was not a consistently good player at Man Utd like Hargreaves, not even slightly.

Hargreaves was a bad buy in retrospect but that wasn't as a result of Hargreaves' on-field performances which were largely very good throughout that season. It was only a poor buy in that Hargreaves was horribly injury prone.

Yes, it's the unpopular opinion thread, so you should expect your opinions to be challenged and to be able to give reason behind them. Otherwise anyone could come out and say "Alex Ferguson isn't a good manager" and no discussion would be made.

You actually used the words "the greatest England player" in your post :s-smilie:. Generally, people consider Hargreaves to be a very good player who was unfortunate with his injuries. Do you disagree with that stance? And if so, why?
(edited 11 years ago)
You actually used the words "the greatest England player" in your post :s-smilie:.

No I didn't, and herein lies the problem.

This isn't a debate thread, I don't come on the internet to have multi-page arguments. I'm aware that many people do, but you won't find it with me. The effort : aggro : reward ratio is horrendous, and I know exactly how this goes - you're not here to read or counter, you're here to argue. The reason you want my reasons is because you then have something to shoot down no matter how reasonable they are and ultimately claim a victory in having the 'right' opinion. This leads to skimming or misreading post, as we see here.

Even if you weren't like that and I did change your own view on Hargreaves or have you accepting of my opinion, so what?
this is the only thread where good responses get you negs
Original post by Andy16

Joey Barton behaves the way everyone did a few decades ago, when football was a sport for real men with moustaches and not overpaid mediterranean fannies with twatty haircuts. That's what I think.
No I didn't, and herein lies the problem.

This isn't a debate thread, I don't come on the internet to have multi-page arguments. I'm aware that many people do, but you won't find it with me. The effort : aggro : reward ratio is horrendous, and I know exactly how this goes - you're not here to read or counter, you're here to argue. The reason you want my reasons is because you then have something to shoot down no matter how reasonable they are and ultimately claim a victory in having the 'right' opinion. This leads to skimming or misreading post, as we see here.

Even if you weren't like that and I did change your own view on Hargreaves or have you accepting of my opinion, so what?

I am here to read, I'm genuinely interested in why you think Hargreaves isn't that good and thus far you've given no actual reason why he isn't and therefore your opinion, to me, is without foundation. I'm a rational person, if your reasons are solid I'll accept them and I'm curious what they are because, as a person who has watched Hargreaves for many years, I can't see what argument you have.

If you're not here to discuss stuff, then what are you here for? And if you're going to make an outlandish opinion, you should expect it to be challenged. If you don't want to give reasons then so be it, but if you've formulated an opinion you must have some kind of reason for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am here to read, I'm genuinely interested in why you think Hargreaves isn't that good and thus far you've given no actual reason why he isn't and therefore your opinion, to me, is without foundation. I'm a rational person, if your reasons are solid I'll accept them and I'm curious what they are because, as a person who has watched Hargreaves for many years, I can't see what argument you have.

If you're not here to discuss stuff, then what are you here for? And if you're going to make an outlandish opinion, you should expect it to be challenged. If you don't want to give reasons then so be it, but if you've formulated an opinion you must have some kind of reason for it.

I'm here to convey my thoughts on stuff and/or find answers to questions, as are everyone else.

I've seen Hargreaves many times, and he's done nothing spectacular. I don't mean like Makelele who was unspectacular but was everything, I mean he's been filler.
Reply 696
Original post by hbk4894
everytime a player is doing good , he is always linked with Liverpool , why no other team?

LOL so true.

Even **** players, Krasic from Juventus who apparently hardly played for them was linked in January and again now like every day.
Reply 697
Original post by Jim-Jam
LOL so true.

Even **** players, Krasic from Juventus who apparently hardly played for them was linked in January and again now like every day.

yeah and it is not just players it is managers too , it goes Mourinho just had a very good season with Madrid so he has of course been linked with the job at Liverpool.
Original post by Jim-Jam
LOL so true.

Krasic was juves best player the season before. Just fell out of favour with the new coach.
Reply 699
Van Persie is not better than what city have already got.

Quick Reply

Latest