The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leedogs
Have to say I really don't rate Danny welbeck, he just doesn't seem good enough for England. How he was getting in the united team ahead of Hernandez I'll never understand...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Same. Just can't see why some people rate him so highly.
Original post by JPKC
Football is pointless and should be replaced by something less rowdy.

Really?! Are you serious
The most unpopular notion is not supporting a local football team. People say "It's the done thing", "It's just what's expected". But why is it expected? Shouldn't you support who you want, after all, football is for pleasure.

- You wouldn't only date a local girl
- You wouldn't only take a local job
- You wouldn't only go to a local university
- You wouldn't only eat local food
- You wouldn't only listen to local music

So why support a local team? "It's the done thing". I don't do the done thing, I question everything.
*Leeds have a strong enough squad to win the championship
*West Brom have a chance for Europe
*It is possible for a team like Petersborough to unexpectedly be promoted to the EPL in a few years
*A few years ago, Portsmouth almost became the new Man City as they had also been taken over by rich Arabs and Newcastle were considered the new Leeds as they had just been relegated from the EPL to the Championship with the strange estimation that they could shockingly fall to League 1 just like Leeds did surprisingly
*Saurez and Terry are not actually racist
*Heskey is not actually that good
*Wigan might actually have a fortress
*AVB could be the best manager in the EPL based on football politics and dexterity
*Marsielle produce future world-class superstars
*Liverpool have a excellent youthsquad; farming a new breed of fresh promising talent
*Michael Dawson is Spurs' best defender and should feature for England
*Mario Balotelli and Joey Barton are both mature
*Jordan Henderson is one for the future (well not at this rate)
*Steven Fletcher is a FOOTBALLING GOD!!!
I would love to hear any justification for AVB being the best manager in the Premier League considering who is the manager of Man Utd right now ...

Some of the others are just baffling. Not only are they unpopular, they're unreasonable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stu Laverty
I would love to hear any justification for AVB being the best manager in the Premier League considering who is the manager of Man Utd right now ...

Some of the others are just baffling. Not only are they unpopular, they're unreasonable.

That's why they are unpopular, AVB is very young and he did the league and Europa League with FC-Porto. He had a bad time at Chelsea but was the first manager in years to mastermind Spurs to win at Old Trafford. I would like to hear any of your unpopular football opinions and the Heskey one was obviously sarcastic.

Also other unpopular opinions are:

*Gareth Bale is one of the top 50 players on the world today
*Celtic could beat Real Madrid, given how they beat Barca in midweek
*Denmark were not the weakest team in Group B at Euro 2012
*Borussia Dortmund are pure football
*David Stockdale could be the next Van Der Saar
*The team that wins the French league will struggle to finish in the top 6 the following season (you may notice that this happens a lot) Montpellier are in the bottom-half
*Not only do Stoke play like a rugby team but they like to turn their football games into WWE
*Jose Mourinho>Every other manager in the CL
*Christian Erikson is the future of dutch football
*Grant Holt has the potential play a major role for England in the
foreseeable future
*The Irish League is actually interesting

:smile:
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
That's why they are unpopular, AVB is very young and he did the league and Europa League with FC-Porto. He had a bad time at Chelsea but was the first manager in years to mastermind Spurs to win at Old Trafford. I would like to hear any of your unpopular football opinions and the Heskey one was obviously sarcastic.

Also other unpopular opinions are:

*Gareth Bale is one of the top 50 players on the world today
*Celtic could beat Real Madrid, given how they beat Barca in midweek
*Denmark were not the weakest team in Group B at Euro 2012
*Borussia Dortmund are pure football
*David Stockdale could be the next Van Der Saar
*The team that wins the French league will struggle to finish in the top 6 the following season (you may notice that this happens a lot) Montpellier are in the bottom-half
*Not only do Stoke play like a rugby team but they like to turn their football games into WWE
*Jose Mourinho>Every other manager in the CL
*Christian Eriksen is the future of dutch football
*Grant Holt has the potential play a major role for England in the foreseeable future
*The Irish League is actually interesting

:smile:

yeah no. He's 31, he's not got long left at international level (assuming he even makes an England squad).

As for Eriksen the future of dutch football, how so? Once he's left Ajax that's pretty much it for his Dutch connections given y'know, he's a Dane.
Reply 807
Original post by Eboracum
The most unpopular notion is not supporting a local football team. People say "It's the done thing", "It's just what's expected". But why is it expected? Shouldn't you support who you want, after all, football is for pleasure.

- You wouldn't only date a local girl
- You wouldn't only take a local job
- You wouldn't only go to a local university
- You wouldn't only eat local food
- You wouldn't only listen to local music

So why support a local team? "It's the done thing". I don't do the done thing, I question everything.

So I guess you support Spain at the World Cup then?
Original post by TRS-T
So I guess you support Spain at the World Cup then?

Oh no I'm not saying I follow it in every possible circumstance, and I have family reasons as to why I support my club side, just that to those who choose on something other than location you have my full support.
Reply 809
Original post by Eboracum
Oh no I'm not saying I follow it in every possible circumstance, and I have family reasons as to why I support my club side, just that to those who choose on something other than location you have my full support.

So English people who support Spain have your full support?
Edin Dzeko is the most clutch footballer in the world right now :tongue:
Original post by TRS-T
So English people who support Spain have your full support?

I think there is a little difference in terms of club and country football, but I've known nationals not support their home club. I know a Welsh person and a Finn who both support England. I know an English person who supports Germany. I wouldn't endorse it but I wouldn't direct hate or refuse to talk to them about football. Some people just want a better product - capitalism.
Original post by johnharris19944
Edin Dzeko is the most clutch footballer in the world right now :tongue:

Could say the same about Chicharito tbh.
Reply 813
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Could say the same about Chicharito tbh.

could say to a less extent Theo Walcott.
Jose Mourinho is a considerably better manager than Pep and Ferguson
Pep is not a particularly good manager
Claudio Marchisio is the best box to box midfielder in world football atm and Arturo Vidal is by far and away the best ball winner.
Rafa Benitez is a huge upgrade on Roberto Di Matteo.
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Claudio Marchisio is the best box to box midfielder in world football atm and Arturo Vidal is by far and away the best ball winner.

Both are brilliant players but I wouldn't say they're the best in their role atm.
Reply 818
Steve Clark will go on to a top job sooner or later.
Reply 819
Original post by WhatamIdoing

It's unpopular, I'll give you that...

But you are wrong about Vidal. Gaby Mudingayi is by far the best ball winning DM I have ever seen. He takes no prisoners, his tackling ability is insanely good. He's not an all round world class midfielder, but in terms of ball winning ability? He is the best in Serie A and the whole of Europe.

My unpopular opinion; Maradona is the worst football coach I've ever seen.

Quick Reply

Latest