The Student Room Group

Do You Support Scottish Independence?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by zuzu
I have nothing against the English, we just shouldn't be the same country.

"I don't have anything against _______, but I don't think I should share a state with them" somehow doesn't sound altogether rational.

Should the French and Germans be part of the same country?

No.

Why Scotland and England?

There's no 'should' about it - states are rather arbitrary things really. What I would not like to see is increasing isolationism from Germany or France, or the lessening of their involvement in organisations which encompass both. The European Union is the most obvious example of this.

There was idle talk of a union between the UK and France after the War. I'm rather sorry that didn't happen.
Reply 101
Original post by L i b
The first point is nonsense. The 1801 union incorporated Ireland into the United Kingdom.

Cromwell? Black and Tans? Bloody Sunday? Easter Rising?

I'm not sure what a "natural state" is, but it sounds positively disturbing as a concept. I suspect the idea owes some debt to the nationalistic battling of the continent over the centuries. Something I am not keen to emulate.

You clearly don't have any love for Scotland.

The vast majority of Scots love Scotland, and we want to be a free and independent country.

And yes, Scotland wasn't subjugated like Wales was thanks to the bravery of my ancestors, we just got sold out by the nobles of the day.

You clearly are an ethnic one if you believe there is something "natural" about your construct. To suggest a person of another identity cannot represent you is not civic, it is ethnic - and it's racism.

No. An English person could represent an independent Scotland, because then they would be working for Scottish interests. However, those who represent the United Kingdom (whether English or Scottish) are working for their London party masters, and don't have the Scots in mind. Poll Tax and the nuclear weapons in the Clyde is an example. Let us have our national pride back again and stop being the dumping periphery of this London centric union.

Scotland is not an independent nation, it is part of a country called the United Kingdom. Really, some of this is getting quite bizarre. Scotland is not a colony, it is an integral part of this country.

Scotland is treated like a colony. I think it is the same attitude that was taken towards Ireland, towards Kenya and the rest of the Empire. The union was the union of empire (of which some Scots sold out and pursued riches in), but we must return to our past and reclaim our nation state.

Or it could be like Somalia, it would depend on the policies pursued by the government. What I do not doubt, however, is that Scotland would be materially disadvantaged from such a move and indeed would have been a far poorer country in spirit for adopting the backward ideology of nationalism.

Don't be silly. We could have set up a wealth fund and spent the money in Scotland and not propped up Thatcher's (who then went and crapped on Scotland) economics. It makes me angry to think of all the Scottish money from oil that fuelled English industry in the City of London. THAT is colonialism with the rubber stamp of an English dominated HoC and a biased Unionist press that talks Scotland down.
Reply 102
Original post by zuzu

And yes, Scotland wasn't subjugated like Wales was thanks to the bravery of my ancestors, we just got sold out by the nobles of the day.

Are you thinking about Mel Gibson as you type this? :smile:

My ancestors also had largely pointless squabbles over nothing generation after generation - just like everybody else's on this planet. It is disturbing that you want to glorify this type of mindset - however, whatever makes you feel part of something greater I suppose. Why glorify the sacrifice of those in modern Scotland who fought "the English", and not those who, for example resisted those who with force and war united Scotland under one banner?

Scotland is treated like a colony. I think it is the same attitude that was taken towards Ireland, towards Kenya and the rest of the Empire. The union was the union of empire (of which some Scots sold out and pursued riches in), but we must return to our past and reclaim our nation state.

This is unquestionably the most ludicrous thing written on this thread. Trying to absolve Scotland of it's role in the BRITISH empire is beyond daft, and to put Scotland (which was a driving force behind British imperial expansion and colonisation) in the same status as Kenya is unfettered ignorance or deliberate lying on your part. Given that the driving force behind unionism was the fact that Scotland bankrupted itself attempting to establish colonies in Panama is no surprise. Scotland got very wealthy out of the empire (particularly the slave trade - which Glasgow played a key role - and a trade in which 32% of the Slave owners were Scottish), the money that flowed into Scotland as a consequence of the empire are the reason why it is a developed modern nation today (with some stunning imperial architecture, especially in Glasgow, the second city of the British Empire).

The British army drew, out of all proportion to the relative populations, on Scottish troops at all levels from private up to the highest ranks. Not only were whole regiments raised in those countries, but soldiers from them also enlisted in nominally English regiments. There were relatively few Scots in the RN, but some of the outstanding officers came from north of the border. The Merchant Navy had more Scots, and many of them made fortunes out of the far eastern trade and the slave trade. These ships were mainly based on the Forth, not (as would now seem natural) on Glasgow. The merchants who spearheaded the colonisation of India included a high proportion of Scots, though most of those who returned (many settled long-term in the East) then made their homes in and around London.

Scotland was as much a part of our Imperial past as my native Somerset.

Don't be silly. We could have set up a wealth fund and spent the money in Scotland and not propped up Thatcher's (who then went and crapped on Scotland) economics. It makes me angry to think of all the Scottish money from oil that fuelled English industry in the City of London. THAT is colonialism with the rubber stamp of an English dominated HoC and a biased Unionist press that talks Scotland down.

Many people have problems with Thatcher, the notion that "England" got rich off Scotland's industrial demise is again, total ignorance. The pits of South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, the industry of Newcastle, Liverpool and so on went the same way as Glasgow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by zuzu

As bad as things are right now in Ireland she is still 100% better off then when occupied by the English.

Of course Ireland is much better off now than when it was "occupied by the English" as you put it. That was 90 years ago. It's not like time is going to stand still in Ireland whether it's independent or part of the UK.

I'm not saying that Ireland would neccessarily be better off now if it was still part of the UK (I imagine it would be a much more violent place), but you can't use the fact that it's better off now than it was nearly a century ago as evidence that it's better off independent.
Reply 104
Um zuzu are you a troll or worse a cybernat you continuely portray the english as being evil colonial masters yet you skate by the fact that not only did Scotland enter the union out of necessity due to us being broke trying to colonise panama which in and of it's self is a bit hypocritical but the fact that most people are happy with the status quo. Also i think the way in which the Snp plan to speand all this apparent oil money is quite extrerdinary really continue with free uni education,free care, free prescriptions and and oil fund to cap it off:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JohnS17
Um not exactly we put in as much as what we get out really stripping out oil profits we run a deficit larger than the rest of the Uk. However including we include North Sea oil we run pretty much a balanced budget. When oil prices are high then we contribute slightly more than we get out. However these claims are on the basis that Scotland would get 90% of the Oil and Gas fields which is pretty silly as up to 50% of oil and gas fields could be situated in english waters. Also the whole issue of whether The Shetlands would want to be part of a independent Scotland is debatable and the ownership of Rockall is another diffcult issue aswell. The idea though that Scotland would be richer is a bit stupid if we run a balanced budget with 90% of the oil which we will most likely not get anywhere near 90% then how would be be able to deal with diplomatic,Milatary,Bail outs, International Aid,IMF and how in god's name would we be capable of saving £1 billion a year for an oil fund it's just not feasible. The union may have it's faults but the vast majority are happy with it and i don't think thats going to change anytime soon. :smile:

Can I ask where you think the sea borders would be drawn?

0064034.jpg

That's the current state of territorial waters (from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/04/03093608/0).

If those boundaries hold (and I have no reason to see why they wouldn't) it looks to me like Scotland would keep a reasonable share of the currently known fields

nns_map.jpg

Original post by L i b

I can come to some level of agreement: GERS showed Scotland's revenue/expenditure divide to be less than the UK's as a whole. However the very notion of 'subsidy' is nothing more than deliberately provocative language used to disguise some rather distasteful divisive instincts. I don't wander up to working class people and tell them that I 'subsidise' them - I'd get thumped on the nose, and quite rightly so. In this case it's particularly galling as Scotland's economic position is built not on solid economic policies or even the ingenuity of its people, but rather by finding some oil off the coast.

Scotland would not be richer as an independent country. Any surplus Scotland has generated whilst oil prices were high is entirely off-set by the deficit it has had when they are low. The cost of public services we run collectively would increase and the quality would decrease.

I also wouldn't trust Scottish Labour or the SNP - both being predominantly composed of left-wing dinosaurs - to run an economy. Even UK Labour is vaguely acceptable - but north of the border, they're just unreconstructed ********s.

Whilst I accept most of what you say I do have a couple of things to ask;

1 - Why do you think the quality of public services would decrease while the cost would increase?

2 - The SNP has a low corporate tax/pro business stance in many respects; is it not innacurate to characterise them as left wing?

3 - Based on the arguments above, surely Scotland is no worse off whether it is in or out of the UK, as the salient points about the base of the economy and the defecit/surplus thing hold for both situations?

Original post by L i b
And of course, Ireland was not "occupied", it was part of the United Kingdom. An independent Scotland could indeed emulate good economic examples - much like an independent United Kingdom already does, just with far greater economic security!

I think you'll find it was occupied from about the 13th dentury. It was later incorporated into the UK, but the incorporation followed from about 600 years of English, and later British occupation.
Reply 106
I'd quite like to see the country explode into a fiery mess under Cameron's leadership so we never vote the Tories in again. Therefore yes, because then we can point back at it and go "that's all the conservatives' fault!" :wink:
Reply 107
Original post by ThePhilosoraptor
Whilst I accept most of what you say I do have a couple of things to ask;

1 - Why do you think the quality of public services would decrease while the cost would increase?

2 - The SNP has a low corporate tax/pro business stance in many respects; is it not innacurate to characterise them as left wing?

3 - Based on the arguments above, surely Scotland is no worse off whether it is in or out of the UK, as the salient points about the base of the economy and the defecit/surplus thing hold for both situations?

Firstly, economies of scale apply in terms of public services. How many diplomatic staff we deploy, how many administrative staff involved in Treasuries and tax collection, the integration of our organised crime prevention bodies and so forth are significant matters. Why do I think quality would drop? Because I think with the British military, the British security services and even - yes - the British tax authorities we have long-established bodies who are exceptional in their fields. The SNP proposes we, at best, divide those bodies or, at worse, completely destroy them.

The SNP has never had a policy in favour of tax cuts. Indeed, the only time they campaigned in support of tax changes was to support a tax rise - a penny increase in income tax. In government, they've been far from pro-business in tax terms. I see no reason to believe that, handed the powers, they'd use them in any sort of radical centre-right fashion.

I think you'll find it was occupied from about the 13th dentury. It was later incorporated into the UK, but the incorporation followed from about 600 years of English, and later British occupation.

That is, in itself, debatable. In legal theory, Ireland was an entirely independent that shared a monarchy (and thus, in those days, its executive authority) with England. The legal relationship between England/Britain and Ireland was as a result of Ireland's own laws.

Now, you might well say this was because of invasion, supplanting the local aristocracy with another. But this was not an English aristocracy - it was a Norman one. The same process, of course, happened to England in 1066. Was England occupied? No.
Reply 108
Original post by zuzu
Cromwell? Black and Tans? Bloody Sunday? Easter Rising?

Ah now, Cromwell was a bad'un. As were the Black and Tans. The British state has, at times, oppressed the Irish. But it's also oppressed the English too - the Peterloo Massacre, for example. Indeed, all states do that to their own people, especially in pre-democratic eras.

You clearly don't have any love for Scotland.

The vast majority of Scots love Scotland, and we want to be a free and independent country.

Er, that's not true at all. And frankly questioning my attachment to Scotland is a bit low.

No. An English person could represent an independent Scotland, because then they would be working for Scottish interests. However, those who represent the United Kingdom (whether English or Scottish) are working for their London party masters, and don't have the Scots in mind. Poll Tax and the nuclear weapons in the Clyde is an example.

The poll tax stuff in relation to Scotland is well known myth; nuclear weapons are on the Clyde because that is the most suitable geographic location for them - and they provide thousands upon thousands of jobs.

You suggest politicians in the UK are, uniquely, incapable of representing the people and that their political parties somehow have no interest in representing the public. This is blatant nonsense.

Scotland is not treated like a colony, it is an equal part of the United Kingdom and elects members to the UK Parliament.

Don't be silly. We could have set up a wealth fund and spent the money in Scotland and not propped up Thatcher's (who then went and crapped on Scotland) economics. It makes me angry to think of all the Scottish money from oil that fuelled English industry in the City of London.

Thatcher used oil money to keep taxes low, leading to greater investment. We have the Scottish financial services industry, high tech manufacturing and a great deal else to thank that for. The money was invested in our economy - unlike most oil funds, who are happy to invest in foreign businesses for a return.

Scotland has had disproportionately high public spending in it for generations now and indeed finds itself economically better off than most English regions. It is utterly pathetic to cry oppression - indeed, it makes you sound unhinged.
Reply 109
Original post by L i b

The SNP has never had a policy in favour of tax cuts. Indeed, the only time they campaigned in support of tax changes was to support a tax rise - a penny increase in income tax. In government, they've been far from pro-business in tax terms. I see no reason to believe that, handed the powers, they'd use them in any sort of radical centre-right fashion.

One interesting theory I have heard, and is why the working class Scot who brought it up is not voting for independence, is that if Scotland became an independent state - that a centre right or right wing party is quite likely to come to power. Scotland is in many respects a conservative country, and I don't think it is too radical to suggest that an independent Scotland could yield an economically 'right wing' party that won elections.
Original post by L i b
Firstly, economies of scale apply in terms of public services. How many diplomatic staff we deploy, how many administrative staff involved in Treasuries and tax collection, the integration of our organised crime prevention bodies and so forth are significant matters. Why do I think quality would drop? Because I think with the British military, the British security services and even - yes - the British tax authorities we have long-established bodies who are exceptional in their fields. The SNP proposes we, at best, divide those bodies or, at worse, completely destroy them.

Where economies of scale apply, diminishing returns to scale also apply; realistically we'd be looking at diminishing returns in terms of quality of service, and that feeling of isolation from the system is one of the reasons both for devolution and for the electoral success of the nationalists.

They have had a policy in favour of tax cuts:
http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2006/apr/report-endorses-snps-tax-position

They've also frozen the council tax and lowered business rates for small businesses (a devolved power):
http://www.snp.org/progress/economy

And they have campaigned for tax changes on at least one other occassion, to replace council tax with a local income tax:
http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2008/nov/support-local-income-tax

That is, in itself, debatable. In legal theory, Ireland was an entirely independent that shared a monarchy (and thus, in those days, its executive authority) with England. The legal relationship between England/Britain and Ireland was as a result of Ireland's own laws.

Now, you might well say this was because of invasion, supplanting the local aristocracy with another. But this was not an English aristocracy - it was a Norman one. The same process, of course, happened to England in 1066. Was England occupied? No.

Except in England in 1066 both William and Harald Hardrada had legal claims to the English throne (the strength of which were debatable, but nonetheless). In Ireland there was no pretence at legitimacy - it was simply expansionism to impress the French (gotta love the Longshanks).

Further to which, the normans didn't have to secure England with garrison strongholds for several centuries, which suggests they might have been accepted as conquerers rather than resented as occupiers. The legal theory is all very well, but the history tells another story.
The support for and against in England is so far remarkably similar to Scotland
Reply 112
Original post by Organ
One interesting theory I have heard, and is why the working class Scot who brought it up is not voting for independence, is that if Scotland became an independent state - that a centre right or right wing party is quite likely to come to power. Scotland is in many respects a conservative country, and I don't think it is too radical to suggest that an independent Scotland could yield an economically 'right wing' party that won elections.

Well, the conventional wisdom holds that Scotland is generally much more "socially democratic" and "left-leaning" than its southern counterparts. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that hypothesis.

If Scotland was to become "independent" (it's questionable how truly "independent" it would be if it retained the Queen as its head of state and remained within the EU) chances are the SNP would factionalize and eventually dissolve altogether. Then, hopefully, a right-wing, pro-family, fiscally and socially conservative, anti-immigration, ethnic nationalist party would be formed and be voted into government. No, I'm not referring to the tories, the only thing that's conservative about them these days is their name.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any parties in Scotland, or the UK for that matter, which have the political outlook I described above. Even if there were, they wouldn't stand much of a chance at elections as so many people in Scotland have been brainwashed to associate any vaguely right-wing ideology with the tories, Thatcher, fatcat bankers et al.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hermóðr
Well, the conventional wisdom holds that Scotland is generally much more "socially democratic" and "left-leaning" than its southern counterparts. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that hypothesis.

If Scotland was to become "independent" (it's questionable how truly "independent" it would be if it retained the Queen as its head of state and remained within the EU) chances are the SNP would factionalize and eventually dissolve altogether. Then, hopefully, a right-wing, pro-family, fiscally and socially conservative, anti-immigration, ethnic nationalist party would be formed and be voted into government. No, I'm not referring to the tories, the only thing that's conservative about them these days is their name.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any parties in Scotland, or the UK for that matter, which have the political outlook I described above. Even if there were, they wouldn't stand much of a chance at elections as so many people in Scotland have been brainwashed to associate any vaguely right-wing ideology with the tories, Thatcher, fatcat bankers et al.

It's fairly unlikely that any ethnic nationalist/anti-immigration party would get many votes in Scotland (Though it's probably possible it might garner some support in the greater GLasgow suburbs). Partially because most people don't like the idea of involving race in politics (the BNP and UKIP always get soundly drubbed up here) and partially because Scotland is relatively pro-immagration; needing migrant labour to keep the economy functioning.
Original post by ThePhilosoraptor
It's fairly unlikely that any ethnic nationalist/anti-immigration party would get many votes in Scotland (Though it's probably possible it might garner some support in the greater GLasgow suburbs). Partially because most people don't like the idea of involving race in politics (the BNP and UKIP always get soundly drubbed up here) and partially because Scotland is relatively pro-immagration; needing migrant labour to keep the economy functioning.

The only reason it hasn't happened is because Scotland is 98% white.

If we did see large ethnic & cultural changes like England the exact same thing will happen.

England is much less inclined to vote these parties than Denmark, Finland, France, the Netherlands, Italy and so on.
Reply 115
Original post by Cyanohydrin
The only reason it hasn't happened is because Scotland is 98% white.

If we did see large ethnic & cultural changes like England the exact same thing will happen.

England is much less inclined to vote these parties than Denmark, Finland, France, the Netherlands, Italy and so on.

Exactly. Let's see what happens should Scotland become "culturally enriched" to the extent that many areas of England have.
Original post by Blue & Red Lights
Nuclear weapons are more needed now than they were before, Does Iran or North Korea ring any alaram bells ?

More than before?? Does the soviet union ring any historical alarm bells? Iran doesn't even have nuclear weapons or the ability to manufacture them - N.Korea has nuclear weapons but no capacity to deliver them effectively (they have very long range missiles but they aren't capable of carrying a nuclear payload...and in any case are not in range of the UK).
Reply 117
Original post by L i b
Ah now, Cromwell was a bad'un. As were the Black and Tans. The British state has, at times, oppressed the Irish. But it's also oppressed the English too - the Peterloo Massacre, for example. Indeed, all states do that to their own people, especially in pre-democratic eras.

15 died in Peterloo. Not exactly the potato famine :rolleyes:

The poll tax stuff in relation to Scotland is well known myth; nuclear weapons are on the Clyde because that is the most suitable geographic location for them - and they provide thousands upon thousands of jobs.

Thatcher trialled poll tax in Scotland.

Nuclear weapons are on the Clyde because the English wouldn't allow them in the Thames or the Bristol Channel.

You suggest politicians in the UK are, uniquely, incapable of representing the people and that their political parties somehow have no interest in representing the public. This is blatant nonsense.

Scottish politicians would represent Scotland better because they are only representing our small country, not the entire UK.

Scotland is not treated like a colony, it is an equal part of the United Kingdom and elects members to the UK Parliament.

Scotland is not an equal partner. It has less MPs and is treated as second to England.

Thatcher used oil money to keep taxes low, leading to greater investment. We have the Scottish financial services industry, high tech manufacturing and a great deal else to thank that for. The money was invested in our economy - unlike most oil funds, who are happy to invest in foreign businesses for a return.

Thatcher ruined Scottish industry. The SNP support our industry and our people (free prescriptions etc).

Scotland has had disproportionately high public spending in it for generations now and indeed finds itself economically better off than most English regions. It is utterly pathetic to cry oppression - indeed, it makes you sound unhinged.

Scottish oil money has been used to build the channel tunnel and crossrail.

English politicians lied over Scottish oil reserves and lied about Scotland being a basket case.

Devolution cabinet minutes were vetoed (only ones along with Iraq war).

Whatever about the financial aspect of it. its a chance for scotland to break from a union based on notions of imperialism, elitism and arrogance. It's a chance for it to free itself from a biased media, an inward looking isolationism. Irish men and women had to die to get its independence now scotland has a chance to do it in the polls.

Money is invested falsely. To create an impression that Scotland is best served in Union while our economy grows slower than the rest of the UK. Our people die younger than the rest of the UK. Our natural resources are pillaged to benefit the rest of the UK. Our children become more and more illiterate and innumerate. Our taxes are squandered on WMD's based here that Scots people and their MP's don't want!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Great post Zuzu. Opinion polls are not the most accurate of things but recently there has been another rise in support for independence. The longer Salmond waits with this co-olition in power the better imo. No wonder he wants to wait until 2014.
Reply 119
Original post by zuzu

Scotland is not an equal partner. It has less MPs and is treated as second to England.

It has less MPs because it has less people. I believe Scotland actually has more MPs per capita than England on average. If they had an equal number of MPs as England, that would mean a person in Scotland's vote would be worth 10 times that of a person in England. That wouldn't be fair.

I'd say Scotland is equal because each person has roughly equal representation (and where it's not equal, they generally have slightly more representation). Plus Scotland has a devolved government which England lacks. I suppose you could say Scotland is treated second to England in Westminster, but that's partly because it has it's own government to deal with many Scottish issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending