The Student Room Group

Student Finance and Working Part-Time

Wise people of TSR, I have searched, but can only find general answers to my question...

I'm a mature student, and starting a new uni and new course after a false start this year. I've submitted my form for 2012/2013 based on my husband's wage, I have only been volunteering whilst studying in my first year, so havn't been earning myself.

If I were to begin part time work, does anyone know the threshold at which your student finance entitlement changes? i.e. I can take out the full maintenance loan and tuition fee loan, is it likely that if I began work part time that this will bring down the amount of student loan available?

I love volunteering, I'm just thinking that I finish at university A in May and don't start university B until September, I could be working and saving up a safety net. If I could, I'd also like to carry on working part time around my contact hours in my new course, it just depends whether that would drastically affect the loan situation, or the amount would simply reduce by how much I was earning that year (so I would be no better or worse off)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Anything up to £25k household income and you will get the maximum support of just over £7k maintenance loan and grant. Between a household income of £25 and £42k (I think it's 42 for 2012, I can't remember off the top of my head) it'll be on a sliding scale - to over-simplify - £17k extra household income would mean £3-4k less student finance, so you will be "better off" so to speak, with extra household income.

To answer with more accurate figures I'd have to know what the household income is now, and what it would be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
Anything up to £25k household income and you will get the maximum support of just over £7k maintenance loan and grant. Between a household income of £25 and £42k (I think it's 42 for 2012, I can't remember off the top of my head) it'll be on a sliding scale - to over-simplify - £17k extra household income would mean £3-4k less student finance, so you will be "better off" so to speak, with extra household income.

To answer with more accurate figures I'd have to know what the household income is now, and what it would be.

Many thanks, that was quick! You've helped me out there, I can work out what I need to :smile:
Reply 3
It's not true though. As a student, your earnings are disregarded when it comes to student finance, it goes off your husband's income. Only your UNearned income is taken into account, that's things like interest on savings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending